Troubled Angeleno cancer survivor who doesn't want to resume life as normal

jerneys
jerneys Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Gay Men Talk About Cancer #1
i'm a 22 year old gay testicular cancer survivor in culver city, i went to LMU and work in santa monica area, and am happy to be alive and happy to have gotten the cancer that i got because it has such a high survival rate if you catch it in stage one, but i've been emotionally scarred by the whole thing and am having trouble resuming my life back to normal and feel that i can't just forget about it. i lost my best friend to brain cancer when i was six, and think about why him and not me all the time. i feel like this is a chapter of my life that i can't close and forget about and must do something to be progressive about what happened to me. if anyone out there wants to give me some ideas to help me resume a normal life, please help. also, if anyone needs help with your own cancer or disease, feel free to message me or reply to this post. also, if anyone in the Los Angeles area has cancer or is a survivor, i'd like to get into contact with you and be your friend in real life.

Comments

• carolinagirl67
    carolinagirl67 Member Posts: 153
    Life
    I am sorry you lost a friend to cancer and that you have had to experience this at such a young age. My husband has cancer and we are just taking it one day at a time. I am glad you are cured. Just remember that you are special and that God chose you to be here. You have a purpose. Share your story and your words and your experience can help someone else.

Take Care,
    Donna
  • Ocean-View
    Ocean-View Member Posts: 26
    Troubled Angeleno
    How are you feeling? The surgery is only part of the loss. There is also the emotional loss. It's OK to grieve. It's OK to be sad about it. You did nothing to get the cancer, and nothing you could have done could have prevented it. You had nothing to do with anybody else's cancer. I know it's hard to feel lucky, but you will survive. You will live a very long and happy life. You just need to allow yourself the time it takes to heal both physically and emotionally. There should be gay support groups there for you to contact. They may not be for cancer, but they won't turn you away. Tell them you are blue, there will be someone there that will hold your hand or give you a hug, and listen and care.

Tom D (ocean-view) Di Vinci on Sept 2, 2009
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Troubled
    Hello:

I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of this. I am currently living with cancer and have been for 2 and a half years. It will take some time to get over the stress of your illness and grief about your childhood friend. As the other guy mentioned a support group might be a good idea to check into even if it's not specifically for cancer. Also, volunteering could be helpful - sometimes it helps us to help others. You're a survivor - this is great. Focusing on what's good and positive in life has helped me. I am thankful that I am still here. You might want to check out the gay on-line group that is mentioned in this forum. Might be someone in your area there. You can also send me a message if you want to talk more or reply to my posting under the colon cancer forum. I'll be thinking about you and hope that you find an outlet that gives you the support you need. Take care. R