Isn't Chemo Almost Always Recommended For Tumors 2cm?

Options
susie09
susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My onologist and from what I have read says that chemo is always recommended for tumors at 2cm and larger. But, I have read posts on here where some that have tumors that size or maybe 1.8cm or 1.9 cm didn't. Why is it 2cm and not lower? Anyone else know about this? thanks

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Susie, offhand I'm not sure,
    Susie, offhand I'm not sure, but perhaps the ones you read about here had clean nodes and the grade was low. I think it has to do with how "mature" the tumour is (grading), the margins and if it has reached the nodes. Another factor may be the oncotype dx test which I don't think is being done up here in Canada yet on a standard basis but it seems many women in the U.S. have had it done and have foregone chemo due to the low oncotype test results.
    Hope this helps.
    jan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

Susie, offhand I'm not sure,
    Susie, offhand I'm not sure, but perhaps the ones you read about here had clean nodes and the grade was low. I think it has to do with how "mature" the tumour is (grading), the margins and if it has reached the nodes. Another factor may be the oncotype dx test which I don't think is being done up here in Canada yet on a standard basis but it seems many women in the U.S. have had it done and have foregone chemo due to the low oncotype test results.
    Hope this helps.
    jan

Susie, my oncologist told us
    Susie, my oncologist told us that the 2cm size was the cutoff for chemo. Anything 2cm and larger called for chemo automatically. Mine was 2.1cm, with no lymph node involvement, but I had 8 TAC chemo treatments, as well as 30 radiation treatments. Sometimes I think it depends on the oncologist, as well as the size and oncotype dx. Hope all is going well for you. Judy
  • Bev1969
    Bev1969 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I met with my surgeon and
    I met with my surgeon and oncologist two days after I found out I had cancer and they went over things with me. At that time they estimated my tumor was 3.5 centimeters and the oncologist told me that I would have chemo 1) if my lymph nodes were positive or 2) if I was her2 positive or 3) if the oncotype score was high. He never mentioned the size of the tumor having anything to do with it???? Maybe other oncologists use other guidelines?
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Yea, I was told that 2cm or
    Yea, I was told that 2cm or over was almost always chemo. And, that stage 2 or 3 did too. But, I guess they could all be different, the oncologists.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Yea, I was told that 2cm or
    Yea, I was told that 2cm or over was almost always chemo. And, that stage 2 or 3 did too. But, I guess they could all be different, the oncologists.

Thanks all. I was just
    Thanks all. I was just wondering. Someone had almost a 2 cm tumor and were grade 2 or 3, but, weren't having chemo, and, I thought that was strange. I just thought they would have it for sure, as, grade 3 is aggresive cancer.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    susie09 said:

Thanks all. I was just
    Thanks all. I was just wondering. Someone had almost a 2 cm tumor and were grade 2 or 3, but, weren't having chemo, and, I thought that was strange. I just thought they would have it for sure, as, grade 3 is aggresive cancer.

I think that tumors over 2cm
    I think that tumors over 2cm usually have the recommendation of chemo, but I am sure that there are other factors involved too.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    No chemo...
    susie, my tumor was infilterating ductal carcinoma, a 1.9cm size and a neclear grade 3. I will not be getting chemo. Mainly because my nodes were clean, my margins were clean, my oncotypeDX score was a 1, and I was HER2nue negative. I will be taking hormone therapy for 5 years sincxe I was ER/PR+ and will need Rads since I opted for a lumpectomy. I had alot of pros and cons but ultimately for me chemo would not benefit me at this point. There is a lot of things taken into consideration and each treatment is patient specific. Hope this was helpful. :) Pammy
  • mgray
    mgray Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I had a 2cm turmor
    Yes that is the protocol because at that size what I learned that is now the tumor is at stage where it is dangerous of cancer cells spreading. I had the chemo and radiation and lived throught that and most all I did continue to enjoy life and travel. Positive attitude and listen if they suggest chemo and adrimician (sorry if that is not the correct spelling) go for it.. My doctor straight and said you don't go for chemo your risk of survival for cancer not reoccuring is very high. I did what he said and I am a 10 year breast cancer survivor...
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    mgray said:

I had a 2cm turmor
    Yes that is the protocol because at that size what I learned that is now the tumor is at stage where it is dangerous of cancer cells spreading. I had the chemo and radiation and lived throught that and most all I did continue to enjoy life and travel. Positive attitude and listen if they suggest chemo and adrimician (sorry if that is not the correct spelling) go for it.. My doctor straight and said you don't go for chemo your risk of survival for cancer not reoccuring is very high. I did what he said and I am a 10 year breast cancer survivor...

My tumor was 4.5cm, estrogen
    My tumor was 4.5cm, estrogen & progesterne positive, HER-2 negative and Oncotype Score of 8. Even though the tumor was 4.5 cm, oncologist told me no chemo, only Arimidex for 5 years.

Maryann
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Tumor size
    I know mine is a tad over 1 cm. My Oncology surgeon is actually doing a research on a cancer vaccine. My tumor wasn't large enough(that's a good thing) He needed woman with at least about 3 cms to do a radiofrequency ablation. He asked me if I wanted to participate in the "node" study. I signed to do it, but my husband didn't want me to, as long as it's only an extra clear node, I'm ok with that. He is doing the "sentinal node" procedure. He told me the blue dye would burn for like 20 seconds. Not looking forward to that. I have to be there by 8am tomorrow. Surgery is for 12:30 PM.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Tumor size
    I know mine is a tad over 1 cm. My Oncology surgeon is actually doing a research on a cancer vaccine. My tumor wasn't large enough(that's a good thing) He needed woman with at least about 3 cms to do a radiofrequency ablation. He asked me if I wanted to participate in the "node" study. I signed to do it, but my husband didn't want me to, as long as it's only an extra clear node, I'm ok with that. He is doing the "sentinal node" procedure. He told me the blue dye would burn for like 20 seconds. Not looking forward to that. I have to be there by 8am tomorrow. Surgery is for 12:30 PM.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

Tumor size

Good luck tomorrow Lanie! I
    Good luck tomorrow Lanie! I will be praying for you! Update us on how you are doing when

you feel like it.

Leeza