Post-op Liver Resection Chronic Pain

gardengirl
gardengirl Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Liver Cancer #1
My husband had colon cancer stage 2, none in nodes, 1 1/2 years ago. Last July he had his first PET scan and he had one small tumor in the liver, section 7 or 8, supposedly via blood stream. He had a liver resection last Sept. then started chemo six wks. post op every other week, did 9 rounds in all. He has pain in his liver,back,and shoulder to this day which started during chemo. It is most excruciating in the early evening on through the night. He had a CT scan in March, it was normal. A month later he had a liver aspiration guided by CT. There was only a little blood in a pocket area which was aspirated but it didn't make the pain go away. All his doctors say it's inflammation between the liver and diaphragm and doing the chemo so soon after surgery has made it take longer to heal. He uses Lidoderm,Flector patches,the heating pad,Tylenol 3,and a muscle relaxer. Today his doctor gave him Ambien to help him sleep. We hope his cancer hasn't returned. His next PET scan is in Sept. but his oncologist might order another CT for next week. He had never hurt when he had cancer now all he has is pain. He just started a new job this week which is only for three months. He lost his other job due to a merger and was at that company for 19 yrs. We found out about the liver met during his last few months at his old job. I'm sure all that stress has added to his pain. Has anyone else gone through pain like this and how long did it take to go away? and any suggestions to help relieve the pain? Thanks, Gardengirl

Comments

• elainey7
    elainey7 Member Posts: 11
    Stress is cancer's kryptonite!!!
    Gardengirl; my cancer returned less than a year after my treatment from breast cancer. I had pain before, during, and after my treatments. It (pain) keeps me up or wakes me up nightly.

When I found my lump in 2007, I told my supervisor. I was "let go" a few weeks later. I went on unemployment and worked a part time job at a family center for very little pay, but it stretched out my unemployment checks. I was then blessed with a job at Boeing and they have been taking really good care of me since then. I have the best co-workers in the world. They took up a collection to help me with my travel expenses to MD Anderson in Houston. Unfortunately, I'm leaving sooner than I'd hope, but they said I have too many lesions on my liver to do surgery. So, I go back home to start chemo... again and will return to MDA every 2 1/2 months. I was told by my doctor (not by God) that I will be on chemo the rest of my life.

In the meantime, yes, I have pain and I can barely walk sometimes. But it goes away and I'm back to "normal". I've increased my raw and I drink plenty of organic or natural juices. I eat some regular foods but not a lot. My BP is much lower since doing the raw and my foot odor is gone as well. (:> I know it's because of my diet and the prayers God has answered on my behalf. Go to www.healingcancernaturally.com for help and encouragement.

Since my reocurrence I've dealt with almost choking to death in a restaurant, being audited by the IRS, new pains I've never had before, being alone here in Houston, etc, etc, etc. Bad things always happens when you're down! But don't stay down, get up! Stay up! And keep looking up for strength! I know the Lord has blessed me in many ways and I know He is always by my side. Don't let the world of negativity and despair bring you or your husband down. Through whatever he (and you) must go through in the future, don't lose heart and don't worry about things that ultimately neither of you will be able to take with you.

Be blessed,

Ellen