Adriamycin/Cytoxan

chickad52
chickad52 Member Posts: 497
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering if others had a problem with heart palpitations with Adriamycin/Cytoxan treatment. Sometimes it feels like my heart is pounding. I told the doctor and he said it is some of the side effects. It makes me so nervous. I'm on my 2nd treatment. I have 2 more to go before I start Taxol/Herceptin for the next round. I'm stage 2a BC with surgery in the future. Thanks for all the information you all provide. I find this room so helpful. Diane

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Echo
    Diane,
    Did your doctor order an Echocardiogram before you started treatment? My oncologist ordered one and I have one every three months while I am on chemo and also when I am just on Herceptin.

Margo
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi Diane........
    Did your doc have you go for a MUGA scan (it checks heart muscle function) before you started chemo? Mine had me go and have one before I started chemo and also after I had finished, because those drugs will sometimes cause heart problems.

CR
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    I did have this recently. I
    I did have this recently. I felt my heart beat only like 2 times in my chest. I never said anything. Then today I went for my Herceptin and was told to report any heart palpitations. I told the nurse I have had them. She said for me to call next time it happens. She said most often it is nothing but they like to check it. I did have an echo before starting the A/C treatment and then a few months later. I will continue them while on Herceptin. All of these have side effects of heart problems.

Kim
  • chickad52
    Thanks
    Thank you for such a fast responce from everyone. Yes, I did have a echocardiogram before I started treatment. Plus they do a EKG at my visits. The docs says I'm fine but I don't want to have heart problems also!! Diane
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    chickad52 said:

Thanks
    Thank you for such a fast responce from everyone. Yes, I did have a echocardiogram before I started treatment. Plus they do a EKG at my visits. The docs says I'm fine but I don't want to have heart problems also!! Diane

Diane.....
    As long as your doctors are monitoring your heart, I wouldn't worry too much. But continue to report any changes that you may notice.

Hugs,

CR
  • steff5163
    steff5163 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Chicad52,
    I also just has

Hi Chicad52,

I also just has my second treatment of ac Monday and I get those heart palpitations as well, before I actually get my treatment I get prednisone which the onc. nurse said gives me those palp. Do you recieve anything befor your treatment?

Steff5163
    PS cute dog
  • chickad52
    steff5163 said:

Hi Chicad52,
    I also just has

Hi Chicad52,

I also just has my second treatment of ac Monday and I get those heart palpitations as well, before I actually get my treatment I get prednisone which the onc. nurse said gives me those palp. Do you recieve anything befor your treatment?

Steff5163
    PS cute dog

Nothing
    Thanks for the responce Steff. I get nothing before my treatments. I get a Nylasta shot the day after and I take Decadron and Kytril for the nausia and steroid. I'm going to mention it again on Tues. when I go for my #3 treatment. Thanks Again Diane
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    chickad52 said:

Nothing
    Thanks for the responce Steff. I get nothing before my treatments. I get a Nylasta shot the day after and I take Decadron and Kytril for the nausia and steroid. I'm going to mention it again on Tues. when I go for my #3 treatment. Thanks Again Diane

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck next Tuesday. I hope it goes smoothly for you!
  • LRM216
    LRM216 Member Posts: 26
    Alexis F said:

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck next Tuesday. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Good luck to you
    I just finished my 4 DD AC's and will begin my 4 DD of Taxol this week. I had an echocardiogram prior to my chemo and didn't have any palpatations during any of them. I don't know when my onc plans on retesting my heart, as she hasn't said. Guess I'll have to ask. Wishing you an easy and good journey.

Linda
  • lizajane77
    lizajane77 Member Posts: 1
    A/C Heart Palpitations
    I just finished my 3rd Chemo treatment on 7/2/09 which was Dose Dense A/C and had the heart palpitations, most noticible after the first 2 treatments, mostly within the first 3 days after treatment. I mentioned this to the Dr., about the effects the Adriamyicin has on the heart and he said in my case he would not be too concerned, he would be more worried if I were over 65 and was a smoker. So for now I am just keeping an eye on it. Another patient getting A/C overheard the nurse and I talking about it and suggested I take CoQ10 which is an enzyme that supports heart function, you can get it at most drug stores. She said it had helped her. I asked the nurse and she said to go ahead and try it. My mom was with me and she takes lots of supplements and had also heard of it. So I thought it couldn't hurt to try it. I just started taking 100 mgs. of that once a day the day of my last chemo. I think it helped a bit. The first night afer Chemo is usually the hardest for me, up a lot going to the bathroom, and usually when I feel my heart beating really fast, so this time it wasn't that bad. Before my chemo treatments, 30 mins. or so they give me Emend, Zofran and Decadron, all for anti-nausea. I continue to take the Emend and Decadron at home for the next 2 days. I haven't had a lot of nausea, but very fatigued at times, hair loss and short term memory problems and crying spells, which I think are all normal things to have during this chemo/cancer fighting journey. Hang in there....