Second chemo treatment

Options
steff5163
steff5163 Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday and my hair is falling out just like Dr. said right to the day. Any Idea how long this prosess takes. I feel like if I go out in the wind it will blow off.

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Steff
    I remember how my head hurt (like someone pulling your pony-tail too tight) and then I started shedding a little in the shower and brushing it. after about 2-3 days I got tired of the headache and shedding so I had my hubbie shave it. It was a very emotional time for me. Let us know how you are we will be right here with you Steff.
    God Bless
    Jackie
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    steff-each of can only give you our experience...
    everyone responds so differently to bc and its treatments. For me, before chemo even started, I cut my waist length hair to short bob. After the second treatment of chemo, I asked a friend to shave my head because it was harder for me to watch it fall out than it was to get rid of it all at one time. An analogy is like jumping into the ocean, it's almost better to just dive in than it is to tippy-toe your way into the water. I turned to wigs and scarves (mostly scarves since it was nearing summer and wearing a wig was a bit warm).

Once my chemo was finished, it took about four months for my hair to begin to grow back and, once it started, it came in quickly. By the beginning of the following summer (about 9 months), I had a full-head of hair.

In the scheme of things, the entire process of losing strands of hair to having hair again, was relatively short (all toll, a little over one year).

dmc
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    As a joke, I tugged on a lock of hair...
    And it came out in my hand!!!

5 days later, I had it cut off...it was getting into my face at night...a REAL bother...

I guess you need to come to it that you will lose all of your hair, and so then it's easier to have it cut or buzzed...

We are here for you...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Steff
    I had my hair cut short before chemo; then, when it started falling out, I did like Jackie and just had my hubby give me a buzz cut. I felt that I had more control that way. Just seeing hair falling everywhere was too upsetting. I am not sure how long it takes for the hair to fall out naturally. I did see women at the chemo clinic with big patches, so I suppose it could take a week or so if you let it go naturally. That is just a personal decision we all have to make. I wish you well.

By the way, as far as regrowth, my last treatment was on the last day of April; at this point, the hair is increasing every day, spikes on top and longer hair in the back. I look like a man with male pattern baldness.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Steff
    I had my hair cut short before chemo; then, when it started falling out, I did like Jackie and just had my hubby give me a buzz cut. I felt that I had more control that way. Just seeing hair falling everywhere was too upsetting. I am not sure how long it takes for the hair to fall out naturally. I did see women at the chemo clinic with big patches, so I suppose it could take a week or so if you let it go naturally. That is just a personal decision we all have to make. I wish you well.

By the way, as far as regrowth, my last treatment was on the last day of April; at this point, the hair is increasing every day, spikes on top and longer hair in the back. I look like a man with male pattern baldness.

Minor correction
    Your head looks from behind like the head of a man with male pattern baldness.

All the rest of you looks like the beautiful woman that you are.
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Aortus said:

Minor correction
    Your head looks from behind like the head of a man with male pattern baldness.

All the rest of you looks like the beautiful woman that you are.

Ahhh--
    such a romantic! How sweet. dmc
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Ahhh--
    such a romantic! How sweet. dmc

I don't know. A couple days
    I don't know. A couple days after mine started falling out I had my hairdresser buzz it off. It was eaier for me then having handfuls falling out. It is hard at first but gets easier to deal with. At least for me it did.

Kim
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Hi Steff
    Yes, there is no getting around that particular issue, so you do the cutting or not as you feel. When it starts getting patchy, it does look bad, but I had my boss saying his hair didn't fall out, so I tugged on it a bit and showed him a chunk of hair, all he could do then is say "sorry". I had my hubby cut it short to begin with, then buzz cut it when it got more patchy. I did consider super glue for awhile there, but gave that up. My hubby actually said he liked me bald, but he could have just been trying to be nice.
    =^..^=
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also........
    Had mine buzzed when it started to seriously fall out. Then all I remember is that there were little tiny bunches of hair in the tub after I showered. I don't think it took too long for it all to go.
    Then everybody started rubbing my shiny head for luck...lol! Not sure why. I wasn't feeling so lucky!

Hugs,

CR
  • piseminger
    piseminger Member Posts: 35
    Options
    I know how you feel
    When my hair started coming out when I brushed it I had my mom come and shave my head. It was long after that that I became completely bald. Good news is that it started coming back about one month after I stopped chemo. My last chemo treatment was the end of April. Now my head is covered with new hair. Still not long enough for me to go out with out my wig but it is growing. Praise God.
    Penny