menopause help for breast cancer survivor

Options
46coffeenut46
46coffeenut46 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had breast cancer back in 2001. The cancer did not spread to my lymph nodes. Now I'm having a terrible time with menopause. I see all these women on Dr. Phil and The Doctor's getting all this help for menopause, but none are breast cancer survivors. Am I the only one who has gained 30lbs, always tired? can't remember. I also take a boat load of vitamins every day. Is there any advice out there?

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi coffeenut
    Wish I could help but chemo put me through menopause in a matter of days at 49. You are certainlly not the only one to gain weight. We have a lot of threads on CRS (can't remember s**t). So you certainlly aren't alone there. Taking vitamins and feeling tired all the time. You sound like a normal survivor to me. LOL
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

Hi coffeenut
    Wish I could help but chemo put me through menopause in a matter of days at 49. You are certainlly not the only one to gain weight. We have a lot of threads on CRS (can't remember s**t). So you certainlly aren't alone there. Taking vitamins and feeling tired all the time. You sound like a normal survivor to me. LOL

Okay Jadie... As a new
    Okay Jadie... As a new memeber on this journey... YOU are not making me feel any better... stop the ride I want off.... hehe...lol... soooooo comforting....

Hugs..

~T
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    No.......
    You are not the only one!

I had ovaries removed when I was 46 (I'm 55 now), and then happily went on premarin. Menopause was very do-able while on the premarin.
    However, the day I was dx'd with breast cancer, I was told to stop the premarin immediately, even though I was not ER/PR positive.
    Usually, they "wean" women off of premarin so that any remaining effects of menopause are not too bad.
    By stopping it abruptly, at age 54, I was slammed by every menopausal symptom all at once.
    And still am. Not very pleasant at times.

CR
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    taleena said:

Okay Jadie... As a new
    Okay Jadie... As a new memeber on this journey... YOU are not making me feel any better... stop the ride I want off.... hehe...lol... soooooo comforting....

Hugs..

~T

~T
    I told my dr that it was a blessing in disguise.(the menopause) I have not had any of the horrible side effects that a lot of women do. Guess I have been really lucky as far as side effects go. Maby you will be as lucky. I know that you are young and may want children. If so I hope that you will still be able to.

You can't get off the ride once you start. We won't let you. It's a bumpy, rough,curvy ride. But we are with you all the way.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    CR1954 said:

No.......
    You are not the only one!

I had ovaries removed when I was 46 (I'm 55 now), and then happily went on premarin. Menopause was very do-able while on the premarin.
    However, the day I was dx'd with breast cancer, I was told to stop the premarin immediately, even though I was not ER/PR positive.
    Usually, they "wean" women off of premarin so that any remaining effects of menopause are not too bad.
    By stopping it abruptly, at age 54, I was slammed by every menopausal symptom all at once.
    And still am. Not very pleasant at times.

CR

sorry
    I started menopause last spring (hot flashes, night sweats). Started chemo in November. All my symptoms went away, no more night sweats or hot flashes. I finished chemo in March, in April the night sweats were back. I started Femara last week and my doctor told me the hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings would get worse. He has no idea why the sweats stopped during chemo.

Make sure you are not tempted by any over the counter remedies without checking with your doctor first. Since my cancer is estrogen+ the doc said to stay away from all herbal remedies also.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

~T
    I told my dr that it was a blessing in disguise.(the menopause) I have not had any of the horrible side effects that a lot of women do. Guess I have been really lucky as far as side effects go. Maby you will be as lucky. I know that you are young and may want children. If so I hope that you will still be able to.

You can't get off the ride once you start. We won't let you. It's a bumpy, rough,curvy ride. But we are with you all the way.

Hugs
    Jadie<3</p>

((((((((( HIT THE BREAKS JADIE )))))))))
    Young.. yes.. in the young category. (42).. but children...???? Are you kidding me... ??? Been there done that.... Son 22, Daughter 21, Son 15... and niece 11..... My son is my husbands son, so I say I hand picked him.....You guessed it started young..

When my daughter was 14 my husband & I married... When my "hand Picked Son" was 14 my niece moved in with us.... My daughter now wants to know what child I will get when she turns 14.....

No... I think I will just stick to grandbabies..... not that I don't love being a mom.. or love raising my children... but there it is a "G.I.F.T." to be able to love on them, play with them, spoil them..........then..............GIVE THEM BACK!!

Hugs,

~T