Back Pain

Options
mrsziggy
mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I recently had a double mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. It was a 10 hour surgery and everything went very well. My worst problem has been severe back pain. My surgery was eight weeks ago and not a day has gone by that my back has not hurt. I'm not talking about minor back pain - this is where it hurts to breathe. My doctor did a MRI which of course looks fine (thank God!) and now wants to send me to a neurosurgeon because he can't find anything. I just want to feel better. Can anyone relate? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Tracy

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi mrsziggy and welcome
    I didn't have a mastectomy so maby someone who has had one will chime in and help you. I had back surgery in 2000 when I woke up after surgery my leg was hurting just above the knee. It hurt worse than the surgery. I ask my doctor why my leg was hurting so bad. He said that it was probably the position I was in while having surgery. It hurt for weeks after. Maby your pain is something related to the surgery.
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Jadie said:

Hi mrsziggy and welcome
    I didn't have a mastectomy so maby someone who has had one will chime in and help you. I had back surgery in 2000 when I woke up after surgery my leg was hurting just above the knee. It hurt worse than the surgery. I ask my doctor why my leg was hurting so bad. He said that it was probably the position I was in while having surgery. It hurt for weeks after. Maby your pain is something related to the surgery.

Well...
    I had a dbl. mast. and reconstruction 8 weeks ago, too, but since I already had major back problems, I asked the doctors to put a bolster under my knees to make sure my back was protected during the lengthy surgery.

It's possible that the extended amount of time lying flat on your back aggravated the muscles, since the MRI was clear (I've had spinal arthritis for years). Have you talked to your doctor about physical therapy, perhaps?

Just a thought...

Hope you find a solution soon...back pain is no fun at all.

Take care,
    Debi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    bfbear said:

Well...
    I had a dbl. mast. and reconstruction 8 weeks ago, too, but since I already had major back problems, I asked the doctors to put a bolster under my knees to make sure my back was protected during the lengthy surgery.

It's possible that the extended amount of time lying flat on your back aggravated the muscles, since the MRI was clear (I've had spinal arthritis for years). Have you talked to your doctor about physical therapy, perhaps?

Just a thought...

Hope you find a solution soon...back pain is no fun at all.

Take care,
    Debi

I didn't have a mastectomy
    I didn't have a mastectomy so I can't answer about that. I hope your pain gets better.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

I didn't have a mastectomy
    I didn't have a mastectomy so I can't answer about that. I hope your pain gets better.

I hope you get to feeling
    I hope you get to feeling better and that your doctor's can help you soon! Back pain is awful.