eric38 Member Posts: 583
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
The discussion topic says it all.

Eric }:.}

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Far Out
    I had so much benadryl in the hospital once that the floor was moving. Not a fun trip.
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    PhillieG said:

Far Out
    I had so much benadryl in the hospital once that the floor was moving. Not a fun trip.

Bad Benadryl Trip
    I`ve had the experience from Benadryl where my heart was pounding and I felt like I was about to jump out of my skin. I felt like I wasn`t going to be able to get words out of my mouth even though I could speak. It was almost like I would imagine a minor stroke would be. I have to say that was no fun either. Of course, I`m sure there are other people who would love to be over medicated. }:.}

Eric
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    eric38 said:

Bad Benadryl Trip
    I`ve had the experience from Benadryl where my heart was pounding and I felt like I was about to jump out of my skin. I felt like I wasn`t going to be able to get words out of my mouth even though I could speak. It was almost like I would imagine a minor stroke would be. I have to say that was no fun either. Of course, I`m sure there are other people who would love to be over medicated. }:.}

Eric

itching and leg jerks
    Whenever I used to get the steroids/benadryl combo via IV before I'd get any oxaliplatin, I'd have a terrible time sleeping that night. I'd actually usually fall asleep for a couple of hours when I got home, but then couldn't sleep at all that night. I think it was mainly from the steroids (decodron?) more than the benadryl. The benadryl, however, did cause me to have "leg jerks" (muscle spasms, twitches). This would sometimes even start while in the chemo chair. The nurses said some people did react that way. Even while sleeping in the chemo chair from the steroids, my leg would start twitching. I do suffer from restless leg syndrome sometimes anyhow, so maybe the benadryl reacted in that way with me more strongly because of already having this issue. Those were the nights where I'd find myself on this board at 2 or 3 a.m. (as Eric and Kim both apparently were last night... :)

Fun, fun, fun!

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    lisa42 said:

itching and leg jerks
    Whenever I used to get the steroids/benadryl combo via IV before I'd get any oxaliplatin, I'd have a terrible time sleeping that night. I'd actually usually fall asleep for a couple of hours when I got home, but then couldn't sleep at all that night. I think it was mainly from the steroids (decodron?) more than the benadryl. The benadryl, however, did cause me to have "leg jerks" (muscle spasms, twitches). This would sometimes even start while in the chemo chair. The nurses said some people did react that way. Even while sleeping in the chemo chair from the steroids, my leg would start twitching. I do suffer from restless leg syndrome sometimes anyhow, so maybe the benadryl reacted in that way with me more strongly because of already having this issue. Those were the nights where I'd find myself on this board at 2 or 3 a.m. (as Eric and Kim both apparently were last night... :)

Fun, fun, fun!

Hugs,
    Lisa

Benedryl
    I've never had to take the benedryl so far so I'm fortunate. But you are right, I am up constantly at night from the steroids. Last night was my worst ever. I usually can drink some hot chocolate and have a graham cracker and at least fall to sleep for another hour but I was wide awake at 3:00 and stayed that way until my alarm went off at 6:00 so I could do the steroids and chemo again today. I only slept 2 hour max and tonight will be the same.

Sorry you and Eric are having a hard time with that. Sometimes they need to give you this to counteract another reaction - bummer.

Good luck all with your treatments.

Kim