DIEP tomorrow

Ltalcott
Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Seof,

I knew you were doing this reconstruction this summer, and I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't heard anything from you for a while.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

I had bilateral mastectomies and DIEP all in one fell swoop--17 hours of surgery. That was March 4, and I was back at work 1/2 time on 4/13, full time on 4/27.

I think I was back on the computer on 3/12 or 13.

It's a tough operation and recovery, but I am now beginning to see how these new breasts are really going to become mine, and it's going to be good. They really felt foreign, and the shape isn't the same as my original traiter-boobs. But maybe it's a better shape?? I go in on August 4th to have my "dog ears" removed, and to have nipples constructed and tatooing.

I know you have read lots here on what to expect. Let us know how it went (in a week or so when you feel like it.)

Lisa

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    I had my bilateral

I had my bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction on 4/22, and my surgery was 'only' eight hours long. I agree with Lisa, that they feel foreign at first, but it does get better every week. I almost forgot that they weren't mine one day over the weekend. I took eight weeks off from work, and I was glad that I did. The last couple weeks of the recovery were more like vacation, but I still tired after 6 - 8 hours of activity.

At first, I was amazed at how hard it was to even walk any distance. I felt soooo out of shape, and sucking air. But, that improves very quickly, as you have more exercise. I was on my computer the day I left the hospital, but I have a very small laptop (3 lbs), so I could use it anywhere, as long as I had a pillow under it.

I hope your surgery goes extremely well and that recovery is easy. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Joyce