low RBC....

Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just looking over some of my bloodwork papers (organizing into folder) and noticed that my last test earlier this month showed a very low RBC which I think is red blood count. Prior to that I had High gloconocytes (white count differential). That white count seems to have cleared up, but red count showing under the (). I will ask my oncologist on the 7th, but wondering if any one has experienced this? :) Pammy

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I think it
    has to do with anemia. But yes,please ask your doctor about it!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    I don't know. I never looked at my bloodwork papers. Probably the only papers that I didn't look at. But, I see the docs so much, that I guess I figured they would say something if my blood work wasn't right. Ask your oncologist Pammy. It could be anemia like Patty said.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Jeanne D said:

I don't know. I never looked at my bloodwork papers. Probably the only papers that I didn't look at. But, I see the docs so much, that I guess I figured they would say something if my blood work wasn't right. Ask your oncologist Pammy. It could be anemia like Patty said.

I have no idea either.
    I have no idea either. Maybe just give your doctor a quick call and ask?
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    At this point it is probably
    At this point it is probably normal but for peace of mind call your doc. It's always nice to hear it from a professional. Hope you are feeling well.

hugs
    jan
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    I had this, Pammy
    They will first do an iron study to see if the low count is related to an amenic condition not caused by chemo. If so, they may have to give you an iron infusion. No big deal though. If your iron counts come back normal (mine did)than they just give you an iron shot to increase your counts. I had to do this once and it was no big deal and a completely normal reaction to chemo. Don't worry.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Anemia
    Pammy, I would also call your doctor. But, like everyone has also said, I had low RBC during chemo. At one point I was moderately anemic, but usually I stayed at mildly anemic. At my last blood count, my RBC was back to normal. That was a month after chemo ended. The general prescription is to eat more protein. By the way, I also have a friend who is consistently anemic, not due to chemo. She takes iron tablets and is checked regularly. She has had no related problems, just has to always take iron supplements.

Let us know how it goes for you.
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Hi Pammy,
    I always have low

Hi Pammy,
    I always have low RBC. A couple times during chemo they just gave me a bag of iron too.

Kim