How do I shower with new port?????

Options
idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Doc said NOT to get new port wet and to cover it when showering. Cover it how? I am NOT putting any more of that sticky bandaid sh*t on it... suggestions???? I thought about saran wrap but how does it stay on?

Comments

• lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    Press & Seal is found near the Handi-Wrap...
    Press & Seal is a self-sticking handi-wrap. Works great! I used it but I did not aim the shower head at the area. I have a hand-held showerhead. They are available for about $25.00 and can be easily installed. It was wonderful before I had cancer and even more wonderful now. I found Press & Seal at Wal-Mart.
  • 4law
    4law Member Posts: 110
    Options
    shower with new port
    I don't remember having to keep my port dry. I had no restrictions, even when I was on 24/7 chemo prior to my surgery. Perhaps this is only temporary for a few days?
  • idlehunters
    Options
    4law said:

shower with new port
    I don't remember having to keep my port dry. I had no restrictions, even when I was on 24/7 chemo prior to my surgery. Perhaps this is only temporary for a few days?

Dry
    I don't know why they say not to get it wet in the shower when they also told me to clean it once a day with soap and water and rinse and pat dry... what???? Incision is healed... stitches still there. I don't know... I sure don't see no harm in getting it wet
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Press & Seal is found near the Handi-Wrap...
    Press & Seal is a self-sticking handi-wrap. Works great! I used it but I did not aim the shower head at the area. I have a hand-held showerhead. They are available for about $25.00 and can be easily installed. It was wonderful before I had cancer and even more wonderful now. I found Press & Seal at Wal-Mart.

Yup
    I use the Press and Seal to cover my ostomy appliance. I only couldn't get my port wet for 3 days and then it was fine. If they tell you to wash it everyday then what is the difference of a shower, hummmmmmm, makes me wonder. Wet? Water? Shower? Yup they all add up to the same thing :)

Kim
  • kitten0385
    kitten0385 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    When I had my port installed, the doc told me to just not shower for the first night, after that was fine. It needs washed daily to prevent infection anyway, just don't take a bath or soak it too long and you should be fine!
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Options

Dry
    I don't know why they say not to get it wet in the shower when they also told me to clean it once a day with soap and water and rinse and pat dry... what???? Incision is healed... stitches still there. I don't know... I sure don't see no harm in getting it wet

Port
    They told John not to get it wet for a couple of days. He just bathed on those days and didn't get it wet. His did heal up fast and the stitches desolved. The only part that bothered him was you could and still can see the tube that runs up his neck a ways and then back down.His shirts would rub on it and bother it. It doesn't bother him now at all. It was kinda funny because the Doc that put it in said it would be about the size if a small watch face. When he got out I looked at it and it was HUGE. I asked the Doc if he was talking about a Rolex watch face...He then showed me that they had a cut paper cup over it so the adhesive didn't touch it. Paula
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Press 'n' seal
    Best invention since, well, saran wrap. But after a few days you should be able to shower with it. The area needs to be bathed anyway. Make the showers short, though.

Kirsten
  • idlehunters
    Options
    kmygil said:

Press 'n' seal
    Best invention since, well, saran wrap. But after a few days you should be able to shower with it. The area needs to be bathed anyway. Make the showers short, though.

Kirsten

Showered
    Thanks Guys!!

Used the Press and Seal..... worked like a charm. It's been 12 days since they put this in and it still hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. Sometimes I get shooting pains. I went to scratch my left shoulder with my right hand...... NO WAY...... it almost sent me thru the ceiling.... I sure hope this gets better. I am having my first chemo to this port tomorrow and I am worried. OMG.... I just can't imagine them putting a needle in this area... I wanna cry just thinking about it.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    a pick line
    I'm not sure how to spell pick line (picc?). Anyhow, maybe it would be best for you to NOT use the port yet until the time after this. If it's still that sore, then I think you should make the call to maybe use a pick line again like last time?- it's your body, not the nurses and doctor's!

I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. I can relate. I felt pain shooting up my neck and down my shoulder for a couple of weeks. Some people seem to have no pain at all- I guess we're just the "lucky" ones. :) It WILL get better over time! It was probably 4-5 months before I could wear my seat belt normally (which goes right over my port). I sure hope and pray yours will heal and feel okay sooner that that, though.

Take care and I hope and pray all will go well for your chemo. Speak up if you don't want them using the port yet!

Blessings to you,
    Lisa
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

a pick line
    I'm not sure how to spell pick line (picc?). Anyhow, maybe it would be best for you to NOT use the port yet until the time after this. If it's still that sore, then I think you should make the call to maybe use a pick line again like last time?- it's your body, not the nurses and doctor's!

I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. I can relate. I felt pain shooting up my neck and down my shoulder for a couple of weeks. Some people seem to have no pain at all- I guess we're just the "lucky" ones. :) It WILL get better over time! It was probably 4-5 months before I could wear my seat belt normally (which goes right over my port). I sure hope and pray yours will heal and feel okay sooner that that, though.

Take care and I hope and pray all will go well for your chemo. Speak up if you don't want them using the port yet!

Blessings to you,
    Lisa

Cream
    You should have gotten some lidocaine cream to put on it prior to them accessing it. I do this about 45 minutes before I get poked and can't feel it a bit. I'm sorry you are still going through so much trouble with it. Good luck tomorrow. I have chemo too.

Kim
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Showered
    Thanks Guys!!

Used the Press and Seal..... worked like a charm. It's been 12 days since they put this in and it still hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. Sometimes I get shooting pains. I went to scratch my left shoulder with my right hand...... NO WAY...... it almost sent me thru the ceiling.... I sure hope this gets better. I am having my first chemo to this port tomorrow and I am worried. OMG.... I just can't imagine them putting a needle in this area... I wanna cry just thinking about it.

emla cream
    or generically it is the lidocaine cream. If you don't have a prescription for this yet, they also have a spray that they use. I have had things with each, both and also with nothing. turn your head, take a deep breath and hold it! Once it is in, all was ok.