Reconstruction

Options
CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can reconstruction be done, even years down the road? Is there a time limit, after which it is too late??

CR

Comments

• Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    I was told....
    there is a time frame to wait before having done in certain instances(such as a year after rads?). But I am pretty sure there is no time frame. I have heard of women having it done same day as surgery and also 10 years later! :) Pammy
  • CR1954
    Options
    That's good to know.......
    Because some day, some way, I may change my mind and "go for it". Wearing the prosthesis gets uncomfortable sometimes and I'm not sure if I want to wear it forever.

CR
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    CR
    I finished rads in December 07, and was told to wait a year. I have just recenty visited a few docs for opinions and may possibly go for it. None of them have said you can't wait too long, so I wouldn't think so. It may be a different issue with your insurance, you would have to check with them on that.
    Good luck whatever you do decide.
    =^..^=
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

CR
    I finished rads in December 07, and was told to wait a year. I have just recenty visited a few docs for opinions and may possibly go for it. None of them have said you can't wait too long, so I wouldn't think so. It may be a different issue with your insurance, you would have to check with them on that.
    Good luck whatever you do decide.
    =^..^=

I don't know that there is a
    I don't know that there is a time limit on it, but, I am not sure.
  • arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 118
    Options
    I would check with your
    I would check with your insurance company. Mine will only pay for reconstruction if it is done within three years of the mastectomy.
  • CR1954
    Options
    arbojenn said:

I would check with your
    I would check with your insurance company. Mine will only pay for reconstruction if it is done within three years of the mastectomy.

Oooh....
    I never even thought that there might be a time limit with my insurance! Thank you!!

CR
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Oooh....
    I never even thought that there might be a time limit with my insurance! Thank you!!

CR

I think she is right. Your
    I think she is right. Your insurance may have a time limit.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I've heard of women getting
    I've heard of women getting it done 5 years later and more so other than the insurance question I think anytime you decide.
    jan
  • CR1954
    Options

I've heard of women getting
    I've heard of women getting it done 5 years later and more so other than the insurance question I think anytime you decide.
    jan

Thanks Jan.....
    Is that your beautiful kitty??

CR
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Thanks Jan.....
    Is that your beautiful kitty??

CR

Our Braveheart! Left behind
    Our Braveheart! Left behind by previous owners, they came back and tried to shoot him 'cause they couldn't catch him. Took us a year to get near him although we did feed him outside. That winter was -45. My husband set up a heat lamp and food and water for him. He has a blue eye and a yellow eye. He has taught me great lessons in life, like if it's bigger than you then attack first LOL, like dogs and foxes. He runs the place and I love him like the dickens. He never looked more content than when we got him to come inside the house. Unfortunately he is named "kitty". We tried to name him "Max". You know the type, "coming home late at night from the bar with mousy breath looking for loving" type of Max but just kept calling him kitty. Too funny eh!!
  • CR1954
    Options

Our Braveheart! Left behind by previous owners, they came back and tried to shoot him 'cause they couldn't catch him. Took us a year to get near him although we did feed him outside. That winter was -45. My husband set up a heat lamp and food and water for him. He has a blue eye and a yellow eye. He has taught me great lessons in life, like if it's bigger than you then attack first LOL, like dogs and foxes. He runs the place and I love him like the dickens. He never looked more content than when we got him to come inside the house. Unfortunately he is named "kitty". We tried to name him "Max". You know the type, "coming home late at night from the bar with mousy breath looking for loving" type of Max but just kept calling him kitty. Too funny eh!!

LOLOL!! Mousy breath!!
    He is so pretty! And obviously delighted to own you! LOL!! I'm so glad that you were there for him!

How HORRIBLE of his owners! How cruel of them!

CR
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Jan, that is one great cat.
    Jan, that is one great cat. What a big heart you have to keep trying with him. And, I do love that pic!