What size grid is standard for the CT?

kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Ladies, I have another question. What is the standard CT grid size (is that what it is called?) used in the US/your doc for follow up in treatment? I know that there are different settings that will detect all the way down to several mm and then there is the 2 or 3 cm size. Maybe there is no standardized CT and it depends on the doc?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
Hugs,
Kathleen:)

Comments

• Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Grids
    Kathleen, I thought there was some kind of standard grid size depending on the type of cancer and location. I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that depending on what area of the body has the cancer, that determines the grid size for initial and followup CT scans. Maybe someone with more knowledge will post. Cindy
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    CT's
    My last report reads under TECHNIQUE: 5mm helically acquired transaxial CT images ........
    I was told by my gyn/onc that the CT would not show any tumors less than one half of a centimeter or 50 mm. just like the optimal surgery was to get everything over one half of a centimeter. That's all I know.
    From this information I knew that I would never get all of the cells out completely. Hope this helps.
    Saundra
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    saundra said:

CT's
    My last report reads under TECHNIQUE: 5mm helically acquired transaxial CT images ........
    I was told by my gyn/onc that the CT would not show any tumors less than one half of a centimeter or 50 mm. just like the optimal surgery was to get everything over one half of a centimeter. That's all I know.
    From this information I knew that I would never get all of the cells out completely. Hope this helps.
    Saundra

Saundra
    Hi Saundra,
    Isn't it terrible how well educated we've all become?
    Anyone can ask us anything related to OVCA and we either have the answer, or can figure out how to get the answer.

Sigh, too bad we're not asked to solve the country's medical care situation.

From what you wrote, I now understand what my oncologist meant by there are still microscopic cancer cells in my body, which will have to be dealt with in the near future, and that's why my CA is slowly rising.

The ladies on this forum are so bright, as well as compassionate.

I hope you are feeling well,
    Jane
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    & yet my last CT-scan showed a 2.7mm nodule!
    My DIL is a CT-scan technician at the hospital where I get my scans, and she did my initial scan. I remember her saying that she would make sure I got the really tight grid. I know that she 'double-scanned' my liver, and that the other technician there during my first scan was rolling her eyes and insisted that my DIL initial my scan findings, so I think I got 'extra'. After that 1st scan, though, my other diagnostic CT-scans continue to be on that tight grid. My CT-scan in April was able to pick up a 2.7mm nodule (?) on my lung. The tiny spot was only on 1 slide, with nothing on the slide before it or after it. The oncologist seemed angry that it was even noted, as it is too small for ANY further action, is "probably nothing", and yet worries the patient. So there may be good reason to not scan this finely, as oncologists need something bigger than that to act on.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member

& yet my last CT-scan showed a 2.7mm nodule!
    My DIL is a CT-scan technician at the hospital where I get my scans, and she did my initial scan. I remember her saying that she would make sure I got the really tight grid. I know that she 'double-scanned' my liver, and that the other technician there during my first scan was rolling her eyes and insisted that my DIL initial my scan findings, so I think I got 'extra'. After that 1st scan, though, my other diagnostic CT-scans continue to be on that tight grid. My CT-scan in April was able to pick up a 2.7mm nodule (?) on my lung. The tiny spot was only on 1 slide, with nothing on the slide before it or after it. The oncologist seemed angry that it was even noted, as it is too small for ANY further action, is "probably nothing", and yet worries the patient. So there may be good reason to not scan this finely, as oncologists need something bigger than that to act on.

Thanks!
    Thank you for all of your input. This is helpful for me.
    kathleen:)