waiting with chemo

jane65
jane65 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi ladies,
I saw my oncologist this morning, we agreed to hold off on chemo at this time, considering the very slow rise in the CA and the clear CT scan done last month. He said there's probably microscopic cancer there, but not a reason to use a potentially important chemo drug we'll need in the future.

We'll repeat the CT scan, and the CA125 the end of next month, and depending on the results, we'll make a decision to wait another month, or start treatment at that time. Remission was never mentioned, and we discussed the report comparing early chemo intervention, as opposed to waiting for clear signs of the cancer's return.

So, I get to enjoy another month's break and wanted to give hope that sometimes we can feel positive.

I know I've been confusing, I'm totally on this up and down roller coaster ride of emotions, but I feel comfortable with holding off chemo, for now.

Have a pleasant day,
Jane

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    GOOD TO HEAR!
    I understand that the doctor wants to be conservative. I'm sure if he felt it needed immediate attention, he would do so. But we definitely can develop a resistance to some chemo drugs, as I did the second time around with Taxol. It's best to save the 'big guns' till they're really needed.

Enjoy your break - hopefully a long-term break! Thankful for these blessings!

HUGS!
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Me, too!
    I've been holding off for some time now. The CA125 is rising but nothing is showing on the CT scan or physical yet. Will be reevaluated in July to see what they think. Enjoy your chemo vacation. I felt comfortable holding off also. Saundra
  • jane65
    saundra said:

Me, too!
    I've been holding off for some time now. The CA125 is rising but nothing is showing on the CT scan or physical yet. Will be reevaluated in July to see what they think. Enjoy your chemo vacation. I felt comfortable holding off also. Saundra

Saundra and Monika
    Hi ladies,
    I'm comfortable with holding off for a month, or two. I hope you're both feeling well.
    Jane
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Enjoy the chemo holiday!
    Jane, thanks for checking in and letting us know. I will probably be in the same place very soon and taking a break from the chemo in spite of having the microscopic guys there.

Your positive outlook is refreshing! Enjoy the breezes and holiday!

Hugs,
    kathleen:)
  • jane65
    kayandok said:

Enjoy the chemo holiday!
    Jane, thanks for checking in and letting us know. I will probably be in the same place very soon and taking a break from the chemo in spite of having the microscopic guys there.

Your positive outlook is refreshing! Enjoy the breezes and holiday!

Hugs,

Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen,
    How wonderful that you'll soon be taking a chemo break, I hope it lasts a long time. You'll have a chance to get your energy back, and your blood and bone marrow normalized.

I got the feeling from your question about the CT grid, that you may not be here in the USA, I had no idea what you were talking about, maybe that's just me. I know we get written reports from the radiologists which our oncologist discusses with us.

I personally have the cancerous lymph nodes measured in mm, or cm. if that helps.

Where are you, and I'm going to feel dopey if you mention one of our 50 states, and what country did you go to for a second opinion?

Good health to you, and enjoy tomorrow.
    Jane
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    jane65 said:

Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen,
    How wonderful that you'll soon be taking a chemo break, I hope it lasts a long time. You'll have a chance to get your energy back, and your blood and bone marrow normalized.

I got the feeling from your question about the CT grid, that you may not be here in the USA, I had no idea what you were talking about, maybe that's just me. I know we get written reports from the radiologists which our oncologist discusses with us.

I personally have the cancerous lymph nodes measured in mm, or cm. if that helps.

Where are you, and I'm going to feel dopey if you mention one of our 50 states, and what country did you go to for a second opinion?

Good health to you, and enjoy tomorrow.
    Jane

Japan
    Hi Jane, Japan is home and I have been here 30 plus years, 22 in the States. I went to CA for he second opinion and debulk surgeries. The docs here are happy to do the chemo, scans and follow up, but will not do surgery on me because of adhesions from a surgery many years ago.

No worries about the grid, just a minor detail question. I tend to ask a lot:)

Take care,
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    How Good it Feels
    Dear Jane,

It feels so good once you adjust to "really a chemo break" :-) It does send one on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Anyway, enjoy the break and prayers that it is a long long break. Hugs Bonnie
  • jane65
    BonnieR said:

How Good it Feels
    Dear Jane,

It feels so good once you adjust to "really a chemo break" :-) It does send one on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Anyway, enjoy the break and prayers that it is a long long break. Hugs Bonnie

You're right
    Hi dear Bonnie,

You're right, my head is not out of cancer mode and into the "lets just enjoy the break" mode. I'll have to start concentrating on that.

My oncologist doesn't expect the break to be more that another month, 2 at most so I'd better stop and smell the flowers now!

I hope you're doing ok, enjoy the day.

{{{hugs back}}}
    Jane
  • jane65
    kayandok said:

Japan
    Hi Jane, Japan is home and I have been here 30 plus years, 22 in the States. I went to CA for he second opinion and debulk surgeries. The docs here are happy to do the chemo, scans and follow up, but will not do surgery on me because of adhesions from a surgery many years ago.

No worries about the grid, just a minor detail question. I tend to ask a lot:)

Take care,

thanks
    Kathleen,
    Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if Japan has all the chemo drugs we have in the states,and maybe some different ones as well.

Feel good,
    Jane
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    jane65 said:

You're right
    Hi dear Bonnie,

You're right, my head is not out of cancer mode and into the "lets just enjoy the break" mode. I'll have to start concentrating on that.

My oncologist doesn't expect the break to be more that another month, 2 at most so I'd better stop and smell the flowers now!

I hope you're doing ok, enjoy the day.

{{{hugs back}}}
    Jane

Chemo Break
    Hey there Jane, I hope you enjoy this chemo break for a long time!!
    Hugs and Pryaers Terry
  • jean b
    jean b Member Posts: 77
    I know what you mean about
    I know what you mean about the "breaks". It feels like a SAFE time in your life when you don't have to worry about the cancer. But as the days grow closer to bloodwork, scans, etc. it all comes back. Read an article not too long ago about what they called "SCANXIETY", how well we all know it. Much love and prayers as I have a PETCT today after an elevated CA125 of 121. God bless us all.
    Jean
  • jane65
    jean b said:

I know what you mean about
    I know what you mean about the "breaks". It feels like a SAFE time in your life when you don't have to worry about the cancer. But as the days grow closer to bloodwork, scans, etc. it all comes back. Read an article not too long ago about what they called "SCANXIETY", how well we all know it. Much love and prayers as I have a PETCT today after an elevated CA125 of 121. God bless us all.
    Jean

Jean
    Hi Jean,
    Best of luck with your scans today, I hope they are clear and you can relax, but I know you're concerned about the CA going up. I hold my breath when my oncologist comes in the room with my results.

I'll be repeating my tests in a couple of weeks. and you're so right about anxiety rising when we get closer to the day of the tests.

The chemo break has been wonderful, but my oncologist feels that we'll be starting chemo again next month. Strange because I feel "normal" now. Can't tell what's going on inside, though.

I know you'll be on "pins and needles" until you get the results back, I'll say a prayer that they show no disease.

Enjoy the rest of today, and try to keep your mind on pleasant things.

Jane
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Enjoy the Break
    Jane,

Glad you have a break. I enjoyed my 6 month NED.

Hope you fish (if you like), vacation, shop, dance, sing, spin, etc. and have lots of fun while you do!!! ☺

Life is so full of precious moments.

In His Grip,
    Libby
  • jane65
    LPack said:

Enjoy the Break
    Jane,

Glad you have a break. I enjoyed my 6 month NED.

Hope you fish (if you like), vacation, shop, dance, sing, spin, etc. and have lots of fun while you do!!! ☺

Life is so full of precious moments.

In His Grip,
    Libby

Libby
    Thank You, Libby and you're right, life is full of precious moments. It's wonderful just to be able to enjoy waking up and seeing that a new flower has opened up overnight, or watch a mama duck with her babies, and not have to rush to get to a chemo appointment, or deal with the side affects.

The break will be short, the cancer is lurking, but for now I can relax!

Six months NED, how wonderful, I wish you another NED time of good health.

Jane