The dreaded Cat scan

tiny one
tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just wondering how long is typical to wait for results of a Cat scan. I'm scheduled on a Monday for mine and won't see my oncologist until about 1 week later. I'd like to know right away. How long have some of you waited? Hope all of you are doing good. The results of my sigmoidoscopy were good.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    That's common
    A week is a typical wait period ...probably because everybody is queued up in front of you either going over existing diagnosis or getting the news for the 1st time.

But the truth is they can be done in the same day and can be reviewed ON THE SAME DAY as well. How do I know? I'll tell you.

My oncologist set me up for an emergency CT scan one time, because they thought there was cancer in my pancreas and they wanted answers right away. I had it done that day and just a couple of hours later, the oncologist was talking to us on the phone (no office visit, but as I said they are stacked up), but he was able to talk to us by phone. So that seemed funny to me that results could be made available in the same afternoon, actually just hours apart, but you wait for the office visit. But, of course he cannot call everybody on the phone, he would have no practice...and you can't bill for phone work, but you can if you go see your doctor.

That only happened the one time, I think due to them thinking it was pancreas and it got them excited. Any other time, I've had to come in to the office, whether the news was good or not.
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Sundanceh said:

That's common
    A week is a typical wait period ...probably because everybody is queued up in front of you either going over existing diagnosis or getting the news for the 1st time.

But the truth is they can be done in the same day and can be reviewed ON THE SAME DAY as well. How do I know? I'll tell you.

My oncologist set me up for an emergency CT scan one time, because they thought there was cancer in my pancreas and they wanted answers right away. I had it done that day and just a couple of hours later, the oncologist was talking to us on the phone (no office visit, but as I said they are stacked up), but he was able to talk to us by phone. So that seemed funny to me that results could be made available in the same afternoon, actually just hours apart, but you wait for the office visit. But, of course he cannot call everybody on the phone, he would have no practice...and you can't bill for phone work, but you can if you go see your doctor.

That only happened the one time, I think due to them thinking it was pancreas and it got them excited. Any other time, I've had to come in to the office, whether the news was good or not.

Scans
    I've had a mammogram, colonoscopy and skin check and all is well.
    Now I have a CT and PET scheduled in a couple of weeks and hope
    those are ok as well, the last ones were ok. If you have not
    heard anything by a week, I would call. Recent news said
    many docs are not getting around to calling their patients
    even when they have negative results......so call him.
    I was surprised to hear that piece of information.

Barbara
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Scan reports
    Hi Tiny. You can request a copy of the REPORT from your tests, they are usually ready the next day, they are quite understandable, that is what I always do, that way I don't have the agony of waiting. If it is good news all the better, no worrying for a week, if it doesn't look good, then I have time to research and form my questions for the doctor. There is no charge to get the report, you can pick them up where you have the test done. Good Luck and best wishes for your results.
    Pam
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    CT Scans
    I usually go on a Wednesday, then get results on the following Monday. I just got a call today that I missed a scan last week. I have to try to get it in tomorrow and see my Onc on Wednesday this time. Hey, I forgot...
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    normal
    A week is fairly normal. But hard!! Sometimes you can "influence the system" a little bit, if you can get a sympathetic nurse or receptionist or technician. I try to ask sweetly but persistently if there is any possibility of getting the results earlier. And sometimes i use the phrase "I get very ANXIOUS" (in that "I need medication for it") way. Sometimes that works....

Good luck with the scan!! Good look with the waiting. Please let us know when you hear your results.....

Tara
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    talk about service.. i had a ct scan last monday at mayo clinic and the radiologist was in the control room right behind my head reading the scan as i was getting it. It was a little nerve wracking that is for sure. They also give the best pre ct drink there.. it is basically water you drink that has some tasteless contrast in it. back home they gave me this thick barium berry crap that made me sick and gave me diarrhea all day. i would drive the 7 hours to mayo for my next scan to avoid having to ever drink that stuff again. ugggh
  • kitten0385
    kitten0385 Member Posts: 248

talk about service.. i had a ct scan last monday at mayo clinic and the radiologist was in the control room right behind my head reading the scan as i was getting it. It was a little nerve wracking that is for sure. They also give the best pre ct drink there.. it is basically water you drink that has some tasteless contrast in it. back home they gave me this thick barium berry crap that made me sick and gave me diarrhea all day. i would drive the 7 hours to mayo for my next scan to avoid having to ever drink that stuff again. ugggh

I also go to the Mayo Clinic and get my CT results the same day, I have never waited more than just a few hours for results. I definitely agree about the contrast, the best there!!! I drive four and a half hours to get there, and am very happy I do so.