Just Thinking........

Options
tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How do the religious think? They don't blame God for their affliction, yet they have Faith in Him to get them through it.
Please help me with this.........AND Don't tell me you are praying for me.........I don't need that. Jxxxxxxx

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I won't...but....
    This is a core belief of many...and it is a subject that is very personal to many people.

To coin an old song 'Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright'.

A bit over the top, old girl....

Hugs, Kathi
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    God and cancer
    I just finished reading a book called "When God and Cancer Meet" by Lynn Eib. I usually hate books like that because even though I'm a Christian and I've had cancer, they usually get too preachy for me to enjoy. I am addicted to reading though, my husband (a non-believer) was given the book, and I was out of reading material, so I read it anyhow. There were lots of stories about people (which I like)and the author was a cancer survivor which helped some. It had a couple of phrases that stuck in my head. "Don't confuse what life gives you with what God gives you" meant something to me. Life happens. Life happens not to be good all the time especially as we age. Cancer is not a punishment for our sins. It is what it is: a bunch of crazy cells that grow where they shouldn't and cause us grief. Faith in God means that you trust that He is control and the end will be good no matter what. Sometimes that means you survive here on earth for awhile longer. Sometimes that means you go to heaven. But for believers, you know He is in charge and the end will be good according to his plan no matter what. There was a chapter in the book even titled "George and Molly"-"Either Way She Wins". A friend gave me a big sticker with a verse on it that came from the Bible. It is promise from God that was originally given to the Isrealites when they were enslaved and carried off to Babylon. It was a very very dark time for them with no hope in sight. I don't know if you feel like that sometimes, but I sure do and certainly did when I was first diagnosed. The verse is written in Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I stuck that baby right on my computer desk back in 2002 and it is still stuck there today. My friend reminded me that faith in God doesn't mean that I'm going to get what I want. God and Santa Claus are not the same thing even though folks often confuse the two. But faith in God does mean you can trust that He's in charge and you win no matter what. God's viewpoint on what should be is definately different than what I would choose, especially when it comes to cancer! But it is a huge comfort when you give all the worrying, grief, lost dreams, and control over the outcome to God. I still was very aggressive fighting the cancers (first breast cancer stage 1 and then lung cancer stage 1) that I was diagnosed with. I don't want to meet my maker and complain about the cancer only to hear that He sent doctors to help me and I was too lazy to get to them or follow their advice! Sometimes my faith is shakier than I would like to admit. I want the big miracle cure, immediate answers to my prayers, or at least a chance for face-to-face discussion on why this is happening to me. But then I remember how many times in church that I have been told "God is Good, All the Time, All the time, God is Good". Sometimes it is not easy to believe, but that is usually when believing will make it easier. Having lived through two cancer diagnoses (breast cancer 2002 and lung cancer 2006)so far I'm beginning to see what some of those things we repeat at church really mean. Faith is a comfort and as Kathy said, it helps me get through the night. I am still hoping that the doctors will never tell me again that I have cancer or anything else deadly again. But after two cancer diagnoses I know that we don't make it through this world alive. That's just the way life is. But that's okay when God is in charge, because either way I win.

C. Abbott
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    The return of The Fruit Brigade :-)
    Religious and spiritual beliefs are intensely personal choices, dear J. And each individual's choice is to be respected with grace and dignity. I like to say that faith is the bridge between what is truly known, and that which is unknown (as in "leap of faith"). Faith is also employed in many aspects of life - beyond the religious and spiritual.

I, very much like you - dear J, resent and am utterly offended by those who attempt to "convert" me to adopt their own way of thinking on this subject. However, and importantly - I also never, EVER try to persuade anyone to see things the way I do, either. This is only fair. Can't have it both ways. Anyone - and I mean ANYONE - I encounter who refuses to extend to me the same respect I openly extend to them... Well, it's really simple. I tell them to BUGGER OFF!

In more direct response to your post... I wouldn't criticize a BC sister for using acupuncture, yoga, etc. in order to "get her through" her own battle with the beast. (I did not utilize these methods, myself.) Religious/spiritual faith is no different, in my opinion.

Kind regards, with luv, Susan
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Eternal Life

J, Christians believe that they will have eternal life because of their faith. They believe that after they die, they will have another life in Heaven where there is no sickness or hatred. Because of this anticipation of a better life, it allows them to be able to say, it's OK if I don't make it through this struggle because I know that there is something better coming. And, they say, God you are responsible for me; I can't control this situation.

Does this happen automatically? Absolutely not. I would be surprised if there's a Christian out there who hasn't blamed God for their disease at one time or another. In fact, I would go so far as to say they were not being honest if they've said it. But, it's similar to being really upset with someone, say your father, and blaming them for everything that's wrong in your life. Then, when he continues to love you and remain faithful to you, you realize that they are doing things a certain way because of that love. And, you start to ask him for advice and guidance. By the way, that comes through prayer, but I promised I wouldn't go there. :)

I hope this helps, J.

Joyce
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    cabbott said:

God and cancer
    I just finished reading a book called "When God and Cancer Meet" by Lynn Eib. I usually hate books like that because even though I'm a Christian and I've had cancer, they usually get too preachy for me to enjoy. I am addicted to reading though, my husband (a non-believer) was given the book, and I was out of reading material, so I read it anyhow. There were lots of stories about people (which I like)and the author was a cancer survivor which helped some. It had a couple of phrases that stuck in my head. "Don't confuse what life gives you with what God gives you" meant something to me. Life happens. Life happens not to be good all the time especially as we age. Cancer is not a punishment for our sins. It is what it is: a bunch of crazy cells that grow where they shouldn't and cause us grief. Faith in God means that you trust that He is control and the end will be good no matter what. Sometimes that means you survive here on earth for awhile longer. Sometimes that means you go to heaven. But for believers, you know He is in charge and the end will be good according to his plan no matter what. There was a chapter in the book even titled "George and Molly"-"Either Way She Wins". A friend gave me a big sticker with a verse on it that came from the Bible. It is promise from God that was originally given to the Isrealites when they were enslaved and carried off to Babylon. It was a very very dark time for them with no hope in sight. I don't know if you feel like that sometimes, but I sure do and certainly did when I was first diagnosed. The verse is written in Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I stuck that baby right on my computer desk back in 2002 and it is still stuck there today. My friend reminded me that faith in God doesn't mean that I'm going to get what I want. God and Santa Claus are not the same thing even though folks often confuse the two. But faith in God does mean you can trust that He's in charge and you win no matter what. God's viewpoint on what should be is definately different than what I would choose, especially when it comes to cancer! But it is a huge comfort when you give all the worrying, grief, lost dreams, and control over the outcome to God. I still was very aggressive fighting the cancers (first breast cancer stage 1 and then lung cancer stage 1) that I was diagnosed with. I don't want to meet my maker and complain about the cancer only to hear that He sent doctors to help me and I was too lazy to get to them or follow their advice! Sometimes my faith is shakier than I would like to admit. I want the big miracle cure, immediate answers to my prayers, or at least a chance for face-to-face discussion on why this is happening to me. But then I remember how many times in church that I have been told "God is Good, All the Time, All the time, God is Good". Sometimes it is not easy to believe, but that is usually when believing will make it easier. Having lived through two cancer diagnoses (breast cancer 2002 and lung cancer 2006)so far I'm beginning to see what some of those things we repeat at church really mean. Faith is a comfort and as Kathy said, it helps me get through the night. I am still hoping that the doctors will never tell me again that I have cancer or anything else deadly again. But after two cancer diagnoses I know that we don't make it through this world alive. That's just the way life is. But that's okay when God is in charge, because either way I win.

C. Abbott

Beautiful
    Wow, C., that was wonderfully written! Thank you.

I have a very broad belief system, but it includes all that C. said above.

As an aside, I just got a book called, "The Shack," by Wm. Paul Young which is supposed to be an excellent story about God, and faith, and how they work when something unthinkably horrible happens in your life. I haven't read it yet, but it comes highly recommended from a wide variety of people.

As I see it, Christians and Jews have faith that whatever happens, God is in control, and, as C. said, whatever happens is a part of God's plan. He doesn't cause our problems here on Earth, and He doesn't fix them all, but his promise is to be by our side throughout everything (good or bad) that happens, and to help us make it through whatever we encounter. He is always there for us, and true faith gives one "the peace of mind that surpasses all understanding," because it allows us to be at peace with anything that happens to us, no matter how terrible it may be.

Buddhists, on the other hand, start with the basic tenet that life IS suffering. No one gets a free ride. We all have our pain to bear. However, with the right attitude, it's no big deal. And that attitude includes the belief that everything changes (nothing is permanent) --- if things are great now, enjoy them, because they won't last forever; conversely, if things are bad now, just know that they won't last forever.

And the trick is to find a way to see joy and lessons in everything so that, knowing that everything changes, you can just sort of relax your mind and never go overboard one way or the other with your emotions because....well, it is what it is and good or bad, it won't last forever.

It sounds kind of depressing, but when you think hard about it, if you can let go of the craziness and just know in your heart that everything is the way it's supposed to be, however that may look at any one time, it's deeply settling. (I rarely get there, but I work on it, along with faith in God.) All the stuff you hear about non-attachment in Buddhism is in regard to stuff that makes you unhappy -- the clinging to relationships that you know are toxic, the clinging to good times in the past, the clinging to (or craving for) material things that only satisfy you for a short period of time...you get the idea.

And all religions, in the heart of their ancient texts, call love the ultimate power. Love is always the answer (even if it's "tough love" sometimes). Love one another, love thy neighbor as thyself -- it's the "as thyself" that we also have to remember. Loving oneself isn't always about giving ourselves everything we want (e.g. hot fudge sundaes three times a day...). It's about taking care of ourselves emotionally, physically, and spiritually, and helping others do the same. And knowing that God, the ultimate source of love, will always be there to help us -- if we ask for help.

Well....that was long-winded. Sorry Tash!

With love and hope,
    Debi
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    bfbear said:

Beautiful
    Wow, C., that was wonderfully written! Thank you.

I have a very broad belief system, but it includes all that C. said above.

As an aside, I just got a book called, "The Shack," by Wm. Paul Young which is supposed to be an excellent story about God, and faith, and how they work when something unthinkably horrible happens in your life. I haven't read it yet, but it comes highly recommended from a wide variety of people.

As I see it, Christians and Jews have faith that whatever happens, God is in control, and, as C. said, whatever happens is a part of God's plan. He doesn't cause our problems here on Earth, and He doesn't fix them all, but his promise is to be by our side throughout everything (good or bad) that happens, and to help us make it through whatever we encounter. He is always there for us, and true faith gives one "the peace of mind that surpasses all understanding," because it allows us to be at peace with anything that happens to us, no matter how terrible it may be.

Buddhists, on the other hand, start with the basic tenet that life IS suffering. No one gets a free ride. We all have our pain to bear. However, with the right attitude, it's no big deal. And that attitude includes the belief that everything changes (nothing is permanent) --- if things are great now, enjoy them, because they won't last forever; conversely, if things are bad now, just know that they won't last forever.

And the trick is to find a way to see joy and lessons in everything so that, knowing that everything changes, you can just sort of relax your mind and never go overboard one way or the other with your emotions because....well, it is what it is and good or bad, it won't last forever.

It sounds kind of depressing, but when you think hard about it, if you can let go of the craziness and just know in your heart that everything is the way it's supposed to be, however that may look at any one time, it's deeply settling. (I rarely get there, but I work on it, along with faith in God.) All the stuff you hear about non-attachment in Buddhism is in regard to stuff that makes you unhappy -- the clinging to relationships that you know are toxic, the clinging to good times in the past, the clinging to (or craving for) material things that only satisfy you for a short period of time...you get the idea.

And all religions, in the heart of their ancient texts, call love the ultimate power. Love is always the answer (even if it's "tough love" sometimes). Love one another, love thy neighbor as thyself -- it's the "as thyself" that we also have to remember. Loving oneself isn't always about giving ourselves everything we want (e.g. hot fudge sundaes three times a day...). It's about taking care of ourselves emotionally, physically, and spiritually, and helping others do the same. And knowing that God, the ultimate source of love, will always be there to help us -- if we ask for help.

Well....that was long-winded. Sorry Tash!

With love and hope,
    Debi

Debi... I couldn't have said
    Debi... I couldn't have said it any better!

Hugs,

~T
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    taleena said:

Debi... I couldn't have said
    Debi... I couldn't have said it any better!

Hugs,

~T

Thanks T
    :-)
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Tash I'll put it short and simple
    It all goes back to Adam and Eve. (for all who believe in the bible) God made them perfect. They chose to disobey Gods command by eating the fruit that that God had forbiden them to eat. As punishment to them he sentenced them to sickness and death. We inherited this from them. So blame Adam and Eve not God for this awful disease.

Perhaps God gives us trials and tribulations to test our faith and to keep us humble.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Tash,
    I am what others call a "born again" Christian. And I don't think of myself as religious,I just have a relationship with God.
    When I was diagnosed,I never wondered why me. If anything,I thought-why not me. What made me any better or nicer that I couldn't be afflicted by cancer?
    And as far as the faith goes,I can honestly tell you that I couldn't have made it through without that faith. Friends of mine,my family, and my chemo onc are always telling me how strong and brave I am. Well,brave has never been a word to describe me before. You couldn't have found a more timid mouse than me about a lot of things before I was diagnosed. So I did become strong through getting sick,but it wasn't something that I worked up for myself-I really believe that God gave me that strength! There was no way that I could have cooked that up for myself!
    Thanks for the question,Tash! And thanks for the fact that you weren't mean-spirited about it as some can be!
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Tasha.. I think that in life
    Tasha.. I think that in life every experience, leads to learning... whether the lessons are for us, or for others. I consider myself a Christian, I don't lean on a pulpit, nor try to convince people that my beliefs are any better than their own.. but I'm not ashamed or afraid to say it.

Sometimes, we are the tool for the learning, as we go through the process of fighting this dreadful "beast" I ask myself, what am I learning from this experience, and what are those who are watching me learning? People such as my children, my nieces and nephews, other family members. Can something this bad, turn into something possitive... I believe it can...

Liz.. my niece.. is learning through my experience with bc that the beast is something you can fight and win... it is something that does not "have to destroy a family" as she saw with her parents... or make your world crumble and fall apart...It is giving her hope that one day if she should ever have this affect her life in the future, she will have something other than that horrid experience to remember...

Faith, is the substance of things "hoped" for... in the evidence of things unseen... I have faith.. that my body will heal... I can't see it .. but I have faith... I can't see you.. or your caring for the group that is here.. but I have faith that you do...

We can't see the wind.. but we can feel it... we can't "see" love... but we know it is there.

Hugs,

~T
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    taleena said:

Tasha.. I think that in life
    Tasha.. I think that in life every experience, leads to learning... whether the lessons are for us, or for others. I consider myself a Christian, I don't lean on a pulpit, nor try to convince people that my beliefs are any better than their own.. but I'm not ashamed or afraid to say it.

Sometimes, we are the tool for the learning, as we go through the process of fighting this dreadful "beast" I ask myself, what am I learning from this experience, and what are those who are watching me learning? People such as my children, my nieces and nephews, other family members. Can something this bad, turn into something possitive... I believe it can...

Liz.. my niece.. is learning through my experience with bc that the beast is something you can fight and win... it is something that does not "have to destroy a family" as she saw with her parents... or make your world crumble and fall apart...It is giving her hope that one day if she should ever have this affect her life in the future, she will have something other than that horrid experience to remember...

Faith, is the substance of things "hoped" for... in the evidence of things unseen... I have faith.. that my body will heal... I can't see it .. but I have faith... I can't see you.. or your caring for the group that is here.. but I have faith that you do...

We can't see the wind.. but we can feel it... we can't "see" love... but we know it is there.

Hugs,

~T

Well
    put,T.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    cabbott said:

God and cancer

C. Abbott

Thanks C, Abbott
    I think I will order that book. You expressed it wonderfully. I not only agree with what you said, I also beleive that anything we experience in our lives, if it is not for our benefit than it is for someone elses. I for one am thrilled to be a part of God's plan! I have faith that God absolutely knows what is good & right in my life. He will be there for me through ANYTHING and that is a tall order to fill!! I believe he will keep his word and never waiver and that is what I call having Faith!! :) Pammy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    FAITH
    Faith is intangible........we can't taste it, see it, touch it, etc. That's why it's called "FAITH." I have a strong faith in God....have my entire life.....My take is, I'd rather have faith and belief in God than not.....because, if I am right, I have gained everything......If I am wrong and God does not exist, I have lost nothing!

And I know that God answers prayers....he has answered plenty for me and my family through the years. Often times we expect God to answer prayers with lightening bolts.....but more times than not, God answers prayers with a simple "whisper." It's up to us to listen.....