My Chemo Pump is Empty

Options
cowman
cowman Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am on my 2nd week with my chemo pump so I have a question. It's Sunday night and my chemo pump is beeping empty. That is fine since I am going in Monday morning. I can take the batteries out and shut it down. However, my chemo-nurse told me if something like that happened to clamp off the tube so I don't bleed back into it???? Does anyone know if that is right? Or can I just let it be until tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Pump Phone Number
    There should be a phone number on your fanny pack that you can call regarding this. Don't hesitate to use this number as they are trained in what to do in situations like this. I would call the pump people just to make sure you are doing the right thing. Good Luck.

Kim
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    off
    They should have shown you how to stop it, then how to shut it off.

I hold the button down until three lines show up and it stops then do the same to shut it off.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Blood flowback
    I would keep an eye on that part and if you see it going back, grab the old Vise Grips
  • Dan_Chaz
    Dan_Chaz Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Chemo pump is empty - OK to shut off and clamp
    Cowman,
    I always clamped mine off and actually disconnected the tube where the screw-in part is (which my nurses didn't want me to do, but I felt silly walking around with the pump for half a day with it not doing anything). Clamp it, disconnect it, and give your nurses the pieces the next day - it's all good.

Good luck!