January 2009 Disabilities Act.. Repost for New Members

Options
taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just as an FYI, January 1, 2009 congress passed a new section on the disabilities act. Cancer has been classified as a disability (including breast cancer) and therefore your employer must make reasonable accomodations for you. I am pasting a the following link... It has a lot of information on this topic. Even if your doctor says your ready to return to work, the stress (emotional) of the cancer, is part of having it, had it, being treated or have been treated for it. Check it out I am sure you may find it helpful. Just copy and paste it to your browser.

Good Luck..

~T
http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/cancer.html

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    thanks ~T
    that is nice to know. I was lucky to have a wonderful boss, who accomodated me every step of the way. Not lucky for him, he had just gone through chemo himself just a few months prior. He sent a memo around the office that if anyone was sick, they were NOT to come in during my treatment, and if they did not have sick leave, he would pay them anyway. So for the ones who do not have that kind of work environment, this will really help, and not everyone may know about the act.
    thanks again ~T

=^..^=
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

thanks ~T
    that is nice to know. I was lucky to have a wonderful boss, who accomodated me every step of the way. Not lucky for him, he had just gone through chemo himself just a few months prior. He sent a memo around the office that if anyone was sick, they were NOT to come in during my treatment, and if they did not have sick leave, he would pay them anyway. So for the ones who do not have that kind of work environment, this will really help, and not everyone may know about the act.
    thanks again ~T

=^..^=

Thank you for this post too!
    Thank you for this post too! It is good for us all to know!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Thank you for this post too!
    Thank you for this post too! It is good for us all to know!

Yes, thanks T
    This is a good posting T! A lot of us, including me, did not know about

this. I live in a cave you know. lol