What options with so many choices

BonnieR
BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Dear Kathleen,

I found your comments to interesting to be buried amongst the posts. I think this is a topic so many can relate to. I hope you dont' mind I have copied a bit of it here so those that don't go back to long long posts will have a chance to read it too.

This is what our Kathleen had to share:

"Having so many options is a bit stressful. I just wish there was a "set treatment". I know that is so pie-in-the-sky.... All of us being an individual and our cancer being so individualistic makes things so complicated, doesn't it?

I will think about what subject the new post topic could be. Maybe "how do I decide the next step?" or "how do I know when enough chemo is enough?" or "what is palliative care?" "how do I prepare for leaving my kids when I don't know if I have 6 months or 6 years?" Hmmmmm they are all good questions to hear responses on.... I will process a bit more today."

Now this is me again. :-)

I think as individuals we all come to such different paths at differents stages of this disease. I know a women who after her first recurrence said "No More Chemo" she just couldn't take being sick from chemo. And then another who has been on chemo for 10 years now and said "As long as it gives her more time with her family"

For me at this time I say as long most days are good days I will do what I can and when the chemo makes me so sick that the good days are gone then I will stop. Now it could be the Drs choose before me, or I just run out of options, but that is how I feel today ~ next week could be different.

Pallative care is being offered more often for people living with cancer, you can still do chemo and be on pallative care. I think it is a bit like hospice with all the support you get but you are still in treatment. They offer it here now and sometimes I think about it but then not quite there yet.

Now I prepared for leaving a few years ago and lots of people with kids get things in the ready. My sister put me down as financial person for her daughter if something happened to both her and her hubby, my daughter put me down for raising her kids if her and her hubby die. There is a good book out for kids who parents have cancer, but remember your kids have their dad and so please don't waste a lot of time on this. Enjoy your children and your time, God may want you here for years and years yet. And for now enjoy the day, knowing we get a mix of emotions and thoughts, and create the memories that will make others smile or laugh or say "Oh Ya that sure was Kathleen or Bonnie or Who ever may be reading this."

Yes I am crazy and for those that don't know me well I cry hard but I also laugh hard. I love and live life to the fullest 'inspite of having cancer' and know one day I will be healed and not have the limitations that this cancer has put upon me.

Here is one way of looking at things or at least helps for me ~ example was dealing with the neuropathy..I would tell me myself if someone can drive and run with artificial limbs I could sure learn to deal with the numb feet and lack of reflexes. I did have times when I would cry to Lord and still do ~ but the good outweighs the bad still and He does carry me even when I don't feel Him doing it.

Okay better stop this became a book and hope it wasn't to pushy ~ just figured so many of us have feelings and thoughts that I would start a new post.

Hug ♥ Prayers ♥ Love Bonnie

Comments

• kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Did I say all that?
    Bonnie, I didn't have the nerve to start that post, but thanks for doing it for me. I love hearing your thoughts. I think you should write a book!! Seriously!!

Looking forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on any of the questions when you have time,

Kathleen:)
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Thanks, Bonnie
    Bottom line. Not one of us knows what the future holds as far as the time thing goes. I could be gone while going to the grocery store this afternoon, in the blink of the eye. Each day is a gift and I have the assurance of the "life after" that will NOT include sickness. I'm busy making memories, one day at a time.

Hugs♡Prayers♡Love
    Saundra
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Thanks, Bonnie
    That blank word is supposed to read g i f t ...
    Hugs♡Prayers♡Love
    Saundra
  • BonnieR
    saundra said:

Thanks, Bonnie
    That blank word is supposed to read g i f t ...
    Hugs♡Prayers♡Love
    Saundra

Gift
    Dear Saundra, thanks for the chuckle ... I wondered why the asteriks ... anyway made me laugh out loud and thats a great thing. Love ya Bonnie
  • BonnieR
    kayandok said:

Did I say all that?
    Bonnie, I didn't have the nerve to start that post, but thanks for doing it for me. I love hearing your thoughts. I think you should write a book!! Seriously!!

Looking forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on any of the questions when you have time,

Kathleen:)

You said it Good :-)
    Dear Kathleen, I love reading what you write too and yes you said that and more. Really good questions and thoughts. I thought more people would reply. :-D

Sending you lots of HUGS Bonnie
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    BonnieR said:

You said it Good :-)
    Dear Kathleen, I love reading what you write too and yes you said that and more. Really good questions and thoughts. I thought more people would reply. :-D

Sending you lots of HUGS Bonnie

questions that are hard to answer
    Thanks Bonnie, I didn't expect much response, actually, because you have to have done a lot of thinking and processing to be able to answer, as there really there are no pat answers. I realize these may be questions easier to discuss in a support group environment.

I have a feeling there will be some responses eventually, and I really look forward to reading them, as I am encouraged by hearing how fellow survivors face these giants and stay strong.

Warm Hugs,
    kathleen:)