Options
2»

Comments

• steff5163
    steff5163 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Noel said:

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck today Stef on your treatment!

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

I had second treatment 3 days ago. I was really tired on third day but doing well, I know I shouldnt complain becaasue it could be worst and they did warn me BUT.. pretty teary eyed about my hair falling out in clumps One more hurdle
  • steff5163
    Options
    Noel said:

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

I had second treatment 3 days ago. I was really tired on third day but doing well, I know I shouldnt complain becaasue it could be worst and they did warn me BUT.. pretty teary eyed about my hair falling out in clumps One more hurdle
  • steff5163
    Options
    Noel said:

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    steff5163 said:

How are you doing through
    How are you doing through your treatments? Have you taken any vitimans through your treatments?
    Steph

Steff....
    I do have a multi-vitamin that I take WHEN I REMEMBER! LOL!

I made it through the harshest of the chemo with some side effects, but it could have been sooo much worse. I am very grateful that I got through it all with relative ease compared to so many others.

When I go for my 90 minute Herceptin infusion every three weeks, I call it my "quiet time". Where I can just sit and relax. But I will admit to "clock watching" and "drip watching" the last half hour or so.
    But all in all, the Herceptin is very easy.

CR
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    steff5163 said:

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

How are you doing Steff!
    How are you doing Steff! Just remember, your hair will grow back. Ask anyone on this site. I know it is hard, but, you are fighting the beast by taking the chemo. And, I can cry at anything since my diagnosis. We are here for you Steff!
  • steff5163
    Options
    Alexis F said:

How are you doing Steff!
    How are you doing Steff! Just remember, your hair will grow back. Ask anyone on this site. I know it is hard, but, you are fighting the beast by taking the chemo. And, I can cry at anything since my diagnosis. We are here for you Steff!

Hi Alexis,
    I'm Doing pretty

Hi Alexis,

I'm Doing pretty good. I know it gorws back and They tell you you will loose it- its just that your never ready. and for some reason you really feel or feel that you are sick when your bald. I guess I should not complain about hair when things could be so much worst. How are you ?? where are you with your treatments or recovery. The crying thing drives me crazy too!! I'm usally dont cry that much and half the time I'm crying I'm not even sure why. Cancer is a head game.
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    steff5163 said:

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

Steff-just a thought
    before my hair (down-to-my-waist in my ol' hippie style) started to thin, I went to a very fancy salon and cut it off. I knew I would lose it, my surgeon told me it would happen. As a matter of fact, it was the first question I asked; not how big are the tumors. Cutting my hair was one of the hardest things I had to do and, after it was done, I went into the salon restroom and cried.

I guess, looking back, it was so hard because I knew I could hid the mastectomy, but I couldn't hide the hair loss. Everyone would know and I was afraid that they would start looking for signs of where I had surgery. It made me very self-conscious. I have (or should I say, "had") far too much pride.

When I cut my hair, I gave my hair up to "Locks of Love" for children with cancer; I figured someone should be able to use it since I couldn't and I was going to lose it anyway.

When my hair started to fall out in clumps, I started to lose my temper at my family whenever I say even one strand of lose hair on the floor that they left behind after a shower or shampoo. It wasn't their fault, but it was a constant reminder that they had hair and I soon wouldn't have any hair. I asked a friend to shave it off. Since I already had the haircut, this didn't seem so brutal this time around. I already had bought my wigs, but I could not wear them since my head was so sore without any hair. I wore scarves and, until I went to the ACS "Look Good, Feel Better" class, I looked like a white Aunt Jemimma (my African American friend had a good laugh over that one-so no insult intended).

My hair has grown back, as will yours, and I realize that I like it better short. It's not as full as it was before, probably due to the hormal drugs, but I'm just happy to have hair again. So, no complaint here.

Steff, losing your hair is tough. It's how we, as women, define ourselves. I understand. We all understand. Unfortunately, this part of the journey you are taking, as we all have, or are, taking. But, know that this will be a relatively short span of time and, before you know it, you will have a beautiful head of hair again! Who knows, you may even like it better than what you have now.

Hang in there-this too shall pass.
    dmc
  • steff5163
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Steff-just a thought
    before my hair (down-to-my-waist in my ol' hippie style) started to thin, I went to a very fancy salon and cut it off. I knew I would lose it, my surgeon told me it would happen. As a matter of fact, it was the first question I asked; not how big are the tumors. Cutting my hair was one of the hardest things I had to do and, after it was done, I went into the salon restroom and cried.

I guess, looking back, it was so hard because I knew I could hid the mastectomy, but I couldn't hide the hair loss. Everyone would know and I was afraid that they would start looking for signs of where I had surgery. It made me very self-conscious. I have (or should I say, "had") far too much pride.

When I cut my hair, I gave my hair up to "Locks of Love" for children with cancer; I figured someone should be able to use it since I couldn't and I was going to lose it anyway.

When my hair started to fall out in clumps, I started to lose my temper at my family whenever I say even one strand of lose hair on the floor that they left behind after a shower or shampoo. It wasn't their fault, but it was a constant reminder that they had hair and I soon wouldn't have any hair. I asked a friend to shave it off. Since I already had the haircut, this didn't seem so brutal this time around. I already had bought my wigs, but I could not wear them since my head was so sore without any hair. I wore scarves and, until I went to the ACS "Look Good, Feel Better" class, I looked like a white Aunt Jemimma (my African American friend had a good laugh over that one-so no insult intended).

My hair has grown back, as will yours, and I realize that I like it better short. It's not as full as it was before, probably due to the hormal drugs, but I'm just happy to have hair again. So, no complaint here.

Steff, losing your hair is tough. It's how we, as women, define ourselves. I understand. We all understand. Unfortunately, this part of the journey you are taking, as we all have, or are, taking. But, know that this will be a relatively short span of time and, before you know it, you will have a beautiful head of hair again! Who knows, you may even like it better than what you have now.

Hang in there-this too shall pass.
    dmc

Hi DMC,
    Thank you for the

Hi DMC,

Thank you for the nice letter. I have cut my hair very short and plan on shaving the rest tomorrow. It is getting way to messy and I cant just sit here and wait to go bald hair by hair. Thank god for people like you who have been there done that and can coach people like me . Hope your well'
    Steff :)
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    steff5163 said:

Hi DMC,
    Thank you for the

Hi DMC,

Thank you for the nice letter. I have cut my hair very short and plan on shaving the rest tomorrow. It is getting way to messy and I cant just sit here and wait to go bald hair by hair. Thank god for people like you who have been there done that and can coach people like me . Hope your well'
    Steff :)

Thanks steff...
    I'm doing well, thanks for asking.

I have two drs appts this week. I still dread them, but that's life. I really need to stop being such a whimp :).

Glad I could help, that's what these boards are all about-being there for each other.

Scarves: I'm also very cheap. I went to Walmart and got many different fabrics and made my own scarves. If you do this, too, be sure to buy the softer fabrics because they tie easier. I think I cut them in 16" squares. I made about 12 of them, that was almost fun.

Also, I bought some night caps (after shaving my head) not because my head was cold, but because it was more comfortable against my pillows. Wigs, for me, were too heavy and scratchy at first, so I really enjoyed all my pretty scarves (after I learned how to tie them). :) ASC can help you with that, if you are inempt as me (though, happy to say,most are not).

Wish you well...you sound like a figher to me. You'll do just fine.
    dmc
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    steff5163 said:

Thanks Noel,
    I had second

Thanks Noel,

I am sorry steff about your
    I am sorry steff about your hair. But, it will grow back. I know it is hard.

Hugs to you, Diane