Protein and rads

Options
confused123
confused123 Member Posts: 251
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of food with high protein but not high in fat? The nutritionist wants me to eat 67grams of protein per day! I think it is a lot, she said I am small and it is actually not a lot. We need 70-80% more protein when healing. Anyway I am finding it hard already on day 2. I don't want to be gaining wait just for rads. I know tuna has a lot but not sure how much of that I can eat in 6 weeks.
Today I had pasta, tuna, peanut butter, yogurt and still need 12g!

I have to say I am glad right now this is my worry.

Thanks,
Kim

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Kim,
    You can get a list of high protein foods and snacks from the NCI and ACS Nutrition sheets online or in the tons of written material which probably overwhelmed you like it did me. I am still discarding pamphlets and stuff. I saved the info on nutrition but left it at home. I can add that nuts are good sources of protein as well as beans, various types of cheese, eggs. Obvious items, but trying to help!

Also, you can add high-protein supplements like Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast (or generic brand). To me, the Carnation tasted better. Smoothies and shakes with added protein powder are good too, but you have to be careful what type of protein powder you use if your cancer was hormone positive. Whey protein is good if you are not lactose-intolerant. You can buy smoothies at my favorite lunchplace, Panera Bread, that are made with whey protein. Lots of calories, too, of course.

Good luck, and thanks for the reminder of the need for extra protein during treatment. I had forgotten!
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks Moopy,
    I also love

Thanks Moopy,
    I also love panera!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options

Thanks Moopy,
    I also love

Thanks Moopy,
    I also love panera!

Confused Myself
    I'm sorry!!! It is Starbucks that has the smoothies w/ extra protein. They're new and called Vivianno smoothies. The mango banana one sounds especially good.

Lots of posters here also made their own smoothies during chemo and just added the protein powder.

Sorry again, fellow Panera patron
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Kim
    I was never told to eat more protein, maybe because you are small? I am not..... oh well.
    sorry, no advice that you don't already have. Love peanut butter myself, it makes a sandwich out of anything, my favorite being spagetti.
    Can't your multi vitamin help? I was told to take Centrum Silver because it helps your body rebound better from the chemo.

=^..^=
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Kim
    I was never told to eat more protein, maybe because you are small? I am not..... oh well.
    sorry, no advice that you don't already have. Love peanut butter myself, it makes a sandwich out of anything, my favorite being spagetti.
    Can't your multi vitamin help? I was told to take Centrum Silver because it helps your body rebound better from the chemo.

=^..^=

The CSN has some information
    The ACS has some information about that. Good luck!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Kim
    Kim, Carnation Instant Milk is very high in protein. I just used it tonight to add to the protein of the milk I used for the tuna noodle casserole. You would never know it is in the food.