Bras and Insurance!

Options
Kristin N
Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I saw the post about what type of bra to wear after a lumpectomy. I just wanted to let everyone know that my insurance paid almost everything for a couple of bras for me to wear after my lumpectomy. I think the bras were around $40 - $50 apiece and I only paid about $7 out of my pocket for both of them. I can't remember for sure. I only had underwire bras, so, I needed to get something new. The store contacted my insurance company for me so I didn't have to even do that. Ok, just wanted to let you know.

Comments

• confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    Yes, they also pay for wigs!
    Yes, they also pay for wigs! I got a prescription for a bra from my plastic surgeon only because he deflated one side. I haven't got one though. Just call the insurance company and ask where they reimburse to for bras and wigs before you get them. My insurance company only reimbursed a few places and I had to drive far to get a wig.

Thanks for bringing up the topic Kristin,

Kim
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Thoughtful to Post this Info, Kristin
    With several new members getting lumpectomies, your information is very timely and useful to several posters. Mastecomy bras are also generally covered, if you want them.
  • journeyon
    journeyon Member Posts: 16
    Options
    My insurance didn't pay for
    My insurance didn't pay for bras, but I bought some good sports bras that were comfortable and I could even wear them under my clothes at work. I only had a lumpectomy as well.

But, definitely good to check with your insurance company.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I was.......
    I was amazed to find that my insurance not only paid for my prosthesis, but also for bras.

I feel very fortunate.

CR
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I was.......
    I was amazed to find that my insurance not only paid for my prosthesis, but also for bras.

I feel very fortunate.

CR

My insurance will pay for a
    My insurance will pay for a wig 100% but its a life time. It will Pay for I think 3 bras a year. I was surprised. Now if they were just better with the rest of it.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

My insurance will pay for a
    My insurance will pay for a wig 100% but its a life time. It will Pay for I think 3 bras a year. I was surprised. Now if they were just better with the rest of it.

Thanks for this post. I
    Thanks for this post. I didn't know this!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Thanks for this post. I
    Thanks for this post. I didn't know this!

My oncologist told me about
    My oncologist told me about this being a possibility and my insurance would have paid for them. Thanks for posting this.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Curious...
    Did you have to go to a special store to buy your bras? All my bras are from Victoria's secret and none of them feel very comfortable right now. :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Curious...
    Did you have to go to a special store to buy your bras? All my bras are from Victoria's secret and none of them feel very comfortable right now. :) Pammy

Are you asking me Pammy?
    The store I was sent to caters to breast cancer patients. And, since I only had the fancy smancy bras, like from vic secret, I needed something for support. They were great to help me. But, then I started rads and couldn't wear them. lol I couldn't stand anything next to my boobies. But, at least, they didn't cost me much. Hope this helps!
  • Kristin N
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Are you asking me Pammy?
    The store I was sent to caters to breast cancer patients. And, since I only had the fancy smancy bras, like from vic secret, I needed something for support. They were great to help me. But, then I started rads and couldn't wear them. lol I couldn't stand anything next to my boobies. But, at least, they didn't cost me much. Hope this helps!

Bumping this as some other
    Bumping this as some other thread talked about bras. Also, the cancer center I go to, has a shop right inside it, where you can get bras, scarves, wigs, all kinds of things that bc survivors need. But, I just went to the specialty store. I liked their stuff.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is grand!
    It was long ago for me. I was lucky to have my INFUSIONS covered...lol!!!!

My treatment center provided me with a beautiful wig, but I returned it after 1/2 hour...too hot and uncomfortable for me. But, I think all of this is great support!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info. I
    Thanks for this posting! I was unaware that insurance would pay for bras. I will check into that.