big mass

Options
wendy50
wendy50 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
doctor told us that my husband has rectum cancer and the mass is about 4 inches and that he has to do more tests to see the stage of the cancer. what should we do?

Comments

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    hello
    and welcome to the semi colons.try to stay calm but your whole life is about to change.you will be poked on and go thru many tests,and yes even surgery and maybe the dreaded chemo.but let me tell you, we on this board support eachother in everyway.from our family issues to our poop issues,so dont be afraid to jump in here and talk or ask questions or opinions this is a wonderful cyber family and you and your husband just hang in there and fight this cancer with us .you are not alone.Godbless....johnnybegood
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Yes,there are many tests to
    Yes,there are many tests to do to stage the cancer,like ultrasound,CT scan,blood test and MRI.It was very shocked and terrified at the beginning that you found someone who you love very much have cancer.My buddy was diagnosed with rectal cancer last month,at the beginning we were very lost,and the feeling was very complex,it's not possible to use one or two words to describe how you feel.I suggest you to go to this link at cancer.org which is http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ESN/content/ESN_3_1X_I_Can_Cope.asp?sitearea=ESN,so you can do online class about learning how to cope with the cancer,I learned a lot from the online class.Knowledge is power,the more you know about the disease,the better you prepare for it,and the less suprises you have in future.And everytime before you go see doctor,preprare questions and write all the questions on a piece of paper,so this way you won't forget the questions you want to ask from doctor.And if you have any questions,you can just post in this discussion board,many people here have experiences and they will tell you what to do or how to do to cope with some side effects issues and emotional issues.Sorry we have to meet here,but you are just like me,we both fight this battle for husband,I believe we will get through this and we will win.
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Breathe
    Hi Wendy,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. This beast shows up and everything changes. However, the first thing you do is breathe, take your own blood pressure, and breathe again. There are numerous ways to stage the cancer. Ask his oncologist to explain step by step what the plan is. Write down all your questions before you go in again and write down the answers. Even better, ask if it is ok to bring a tape recorder so you don't miss anything. Sometimes we are in the doctor's office and something is said that just sort of stops the brain at that and we miss what else is said. Also, don't be afraid to get second and even third opinions if you don't like what you hear. If the mass is that large, you may want to go ahead and connect with a major cancer center like MD Anderson where there are more options offered than the average oncologist is able to offer.

That being said, come here often for whatever you need, be it advice, comfort, a sounding board or any other thing you need. You may want to get your husband involved so he can connect directly with others who are dealing with the same thing--it is so valuable. Cancer is beatable and if you two go in with that attitude it will make all the difference in the world!

Hugs and blessings,
    Kirsten
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    kmygil said:

Breathe
    Hi Wendy,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. This beast shows up and everything changes. However, the first thing you do is breathe, take your own blood pressure, and breathe again. There are numerous ways to stage the cancer. Ask his oncologist to explain step by step what the plan is. Write down all your questions before you go in again and write down the answers. Even better, ask if it is ok to bring a tape recorder so you don't miss anything. Sometimes we are in the doctor's office and something is said that just sort of stops the brain at that and we miss what else is said. Also, don't be afraid to get second and even third opinions if you don't like what you hear. If the mass is that large, you may want to go ahead and connect with a major cancer center like MD Anderson where there are more options offered than the average oncologist is able to offer.

That being said, come here often for whatever you need, be it advice, comfort, a sounding board or any other thing you need. You may want to get your husband involved so he can connect directly with others who are dealing with the same thing--it is so valuable. Cancer is beatable and if you two go in with that attitude it will make all the difference in the world!

Hugs and blessings,
    Kirsten

Just wait to see how things turn out.
    Don't get caught up in speculation. My very best friend was diagnosed 4 months before me. She had a complete rectal obstruction. The tumor was enormous, something like 15 inches. She is only stage 2. So just wait for what the Drs find out. Rectal cancer can be tricky but there are plenty of really good treatments out there. Hopefully he'll just be stage 2, can have surgery, chemo or radiation and be done in just a few months.
  • wendy50
    wendy50 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks All!
    I have to be strong now for my family. Thanks for your support.
  • serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    wendy50 said:

Thanks All!
    I have to be strong now for my family. Thanks for your support.

big mass
    Hi Wendy
    If you leave your personal email address on a private message I will be happy to "talk" about what I know; As you know I am in Encinitas and have travelled this journey now for two and a half years. The most important thing is to get to a good comprehensive cancer center if at all possible so you will know all the options. There are many choices. If your insurance says no to your choice of doctors, challenge them. I can't recall where your hub is going; It is terrifying right now but be assured there are many of us who will walk you through it. Being a survivor or a survivor's partner is a challenge. You will get thru it Ask questions on this board and know that since I am in the same area you are
    I'll help you in any way I can. Serrana