Botch Job on Port Installation???

Options
idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am so mad..... I just think there is no way this new port should STILL be hurting like this. It was installed 9 days ago. I am having sharp shooting pains there. They said to keep the steri-strips on for 2 weeks. When do the stitches come out.... or do they fall out??? I have my next chemo session in 4 days and I am praying this is going to be usable by then. I do have an appt. with my surgeon tomorrrow (not the one who put port in) but he should still be able to tell me if all ok. My belly button area has had a "fever" for several weeks but only hurt when I was in certain positions (LOL).... It kinda felt like it was being pinched. Now it is hurting just to the left side of belly button....all the time... and real bad if you press in that area....any ideas what that could be???? Just thought maybe one of you had this happen. Take care

Jennie

Comments

• grandma2selena
    grandma2selena Member Posts: 199
    Options
    Belly Button
    Where did they put your port at? Mine was just under my collar bone, so I am confused why your belly button is hurting. Is that the area they put your port in?

As for your stitches, they disolve on their own and that can take up to a couple of weeks or more, everyone is different there.

I know my port area is still sore, well the incission area after they removed it and that has been about 3 months now, but there is nothing wrong with it. As far as when the port was in, I had strange pains through out the entire time it was in, especially when it tapped into the collar bone, but nothing that made me alarmed to something being wrong.

I am sure your surgeon will have some answers for you, Sorry you are going through so much trouble. Keep your spirits up, I am sure they will figure this out. You are in my prayers.

Debbie
  • idlehunters
    Options

Belly Button
    Where did they put your port at? Mine was just under my collar bone, so I am confused why your belly button is hurting. Is that the area they put your port in?

As for your stitches, they disolve on their own and that can take up to a couple of weeks or more, everyone is different there.

I know my port area is still sore, well the incission area after they removed it and that has been about 3 months now, but there is nothing wrong with it. As far as when the port was in, I had strange pains through out the entire time it was in, especially when it tapped into the collar bone, but nothing that made me alarmed to something being wrong.

I am sure your surgeon will have some answers for you, Sorry you are going through so much trouble. Keep your spirits up, I am sure they will figure this out. You are in my prayers.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

My belly button is a seperate issue. It has been an ongoing problem since my resection surgery. My port is in the collar bone area. I am hoping when I put that numbing cream on it I will not feel the pain that is there now. Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.

Jennie
  • grandma2selena
    grandma2selena Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hi Debbie,

My belly button is a seperate issue. It has been an ongoing problem since my resection surgery. My port is in the collar bone area. I am hoping when I put that numbing cream on it I will not feel the pain that is there now. Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.

Jennie

If I were you
    I am just one of these, that if I were in your shoes, I would put some numbing cream on just to see if it helps with the pain. I can't tell you about that as I had to go through mine with out any of that wonderful sounding cream. Though I didn't find the chemo through the port to be that bad, and was only numbed once by needle and that was just the first time around.

Debbie
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Belly Button Blues
    Sorry--couldn't help it--it sounded like a blues song to me. I had belly button issues, as well, but after about a month the worst went away. It took about 6 months for it to completely disappear, but then they opened me back up for the hysterectomy and I started over... Yep. I sang the belly button blues (insert harmonica here....)

Kirsten
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Options
    life after resection
    after my surgery healed, I also experienced pain near my belly button. I talked to my onc about it and my next upcoming scan showed a hernia. My surgeon looked at it and we all decided that it was small and we would watch it. I have since had no pain from it. I was told it was not terribly uncommon following resection.

I heard a nurse tell a new patient today at my chemo treatment that the steri strips could stay attached for weeks! Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Belly Button Pain?
    I also had this, so I had my onc check it out. It was a little bit of scar tissue plus a slight hernia which is common after surgery.

My port was sore and swollen for quite a while, and over the 6 months occasionally it did both me. I would have your dr check it out just to be sure, but I would think it's nothing major. Good Luck
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Belly Button Pain?
    I also had this, so I had my onc check it out. It was a little bit of scar tissue plus a slight hernia which is common after surgery.

My port was sore and swollen for quite a while, and over the 6 months occasionally it did both me. I would have your dr check it out just to be sure, but I would think it's nothing major. Good Luck

Port
    My port only hurt for about a week after insertion. The only time it hurts now is when I hug someone because I am thin it protrudes out and when someone leans on it, it hurts. I had dissolving stitches on the inside and liquid stitches on the outside so I didn't have to go and get any stitches removed. Let us know what the surgeon says.

Kim
  • idlehunters
    Options

Port
    My port only hurt for about a week after insertion. The only time it hurts now is when I hug someone because I am thin it protrudes out and when someone leans on it, it hurts. I had dissolving stitches on the inside and liquid stitches on the outside so I didn't have to go and get any stitches removed. Let us know what the surgeon says.

Kim

Hernia
    Yep... some of you were right. It is indeed a small hernia coming thru broken stitches. Cannot do any surgery to repair it at this time because I that would make me have to stop the chemo and I definately cannot do that at this time. So... I am wearing that wrap around girdle thing I had to wear after my resection to ease pressure and it helps. I will just have to put that on hold or perhaps it will mend on its own.

Doc also looked at port.... removed steri strips.... said it looked to be healing fine... no signs of infection. He is not the doc who installed it and was not impressed at port access location which is right under the incesion(sp?) He said if right shoulder started hurting to call immediately... indication of possible blood clots??? Dang!

Jennie
  • Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hernia
    Yep... some of you were right. It is indeed a small hernia coming thru broken stitches. Cannot do any surgery to repair it at this time because I that would make me have to stop the chemo and I definately cannot do that at this time. So... I am wearing that wrap around girdle thing I had to wear after my resection to ease pressure and it helps. I will just have to put that on hold or perhaps it will mend on its own.

Doc also looked at port.... removed steri strips.... said it looked to be healing fine... no signs of infection. He is not the doc who installed it and was not impressed at port access location which is right under the incesion(sp?) He said if right shoulder started hurting to call immediately... indication of possible blood clots??? Dang!

Jennie

Port and Bellybutton
    Jennie:Request an x-ray of the port! My first port was ok, my second bugged the hell out of me, no pain but it just was very uncomfortable. Oncologist and Surgeon poo-pooed me and said nothing was wrong with it. Finally they ordered an x-ray when they couldn't get blood return the day I was to start chemo and found that it had worked its way out of my jugular vein and was actually coiled up in my neck! Had another surgery to remove that port and put in my 3rd port!.

As for the bellybutton, I had my colon resection laproscopically and ended up with a good hernia. I have since had it repaired because seeing my bellybutton sticking out like a huge marble wasn't pleasing. The hernia surgery was much worse than the hernia itself. You might just have an umbilical hernia too.
  • idlehunters
    Options
    Wenchie said:

Port and Bellybutton
    Jennie:Request an x-ray of the port! My first port was ok, my second bugged the hell out of me, no pain but it just was very uncomfortable. Oncologist and Surgeon poo-pooed me and said nothing was wrong with it. Finally they ordered an x-ray when they couldn't get blood return the day I was to start chemo and found that it had worked its way out of my jugular vein and was actually coiled up in my neck! Had another surgery to remove that port and put in my 3rd port!.

As for the bellybutton, I had my colon resection laproscopically and ended up with a good hernia. I have since had it repaired because seeing my bellybutton sticking out like a huge marble wasn't pleasing. The hernia surgery was much worse than the hernia itself. You might just have an umbilical hernia too.

Not Belly Button
    Christie.... It's the belly button area.... it's not actually my belly button... It's in an area about 1" to the left of my belly button.... but still a hernia there where stitches broke or whatever inside and thats where the perferation is. I had 2 x-rays on port the day after they put it in and it was fine but now I am going to get another.... thank you!