radiation and side effects

Options
peb
peb Member Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
What kind of radiation side effects have people experience besides being a little tired? I just got finished reading somewhere ( know i shouldn't!) all these side effects especially losing ones hair. Is this a side effect that alot of people get from radiation? It seems from reading these boards that most did not have any side effects besides being tired.Thanks for all the help you all have been giving me these past two weeks.

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Radiation and Hair Loss
    Hello, peb. I start rads Monday and have been reading the material I was given. Hair loss occurs only in the places radiated. Me, I'm hoping my armpit hair is radiated away forever!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Hair? ..........
    What hair? Mine is growing in soooo slowly. Unfortunately my underarm farm is growing like weeds. Would have been nice if it didn't grow back, but what can you do? My only effects to rads were tiredness and the sunburn effect. First underneath got all red and cracked and peeling. They prescribed XClair for that and took a week away from that to radiate the wound/tumor area, which eventually turned red and sore like sunburn. She prescribed (can't think of the real name) think something like Sulfadine, silver sulfer or something. Chemo Brain strikes again! Both worked great and now 2 weeks out of rads I'm peeling skin off like crazy. But no pain, no nausea, its nothing like chemo.
    Good luck to you in Rads!
    Pat
  • maya00i
    maya00i Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Radiation
    I had no side effects other than being tired. I would put cream on the spots where I was having the radiation at night . I had 46 treatments.
  • maya00i
    maya00i Member Posts: 42
    Options
    padee6339 said:

Hair? ..........
    What hair? Mine is growing in soooo slowly. Unfortunately my underarm farm is growing like weeds. Would have been nice if it didn't grow back, but what can you do? My only effects to rads were tiredness and the sunburn effect. First underneath got all red and cracked and peeling. They prescribed XClair for that and took a week away from that to radiate the wound/tumor area, which eventually turned red and sore like sunburn. She prescribed (can't think of the real name) think something like Sulfadine, silver sulfer or something. Chemo Brain strikes again! Both worked great and now 2 weeks out of rads I'm peeling skin off like crazy. But no pain, no nausea, its nothing like chemo.
    Good luck to you in Rads!
    Pat

you look beautiful
    Ah the hair loss. All of a sudden you have so much again. Mine came back white and a different texture. Whats weird is my eye lashes never did grow back.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...
    I didn't have any hair yet when I was going through rads, so that was a non-issue.

Just mostly tired toward the end, which they said to expect, as it is cumulative. Also some rad burns. But nothing serious.

Compared to chemo, rads were easy.

CR
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Hmmmm...
    I didn't have any hair yet when I was going through rads, so that was a non-issue.

Just mostly tired toward the end, which they said to expect, as it is cumulative. Also some rad burns. But nothing serious.

Compared to chemo, rads were easy.

CR

Hairy Issues
    My bodily hair ALL fell out with chemo. Also my finger and toe nails. With Rads my other hair started to return, but not my underarm on the affected side...It still hasn't a year later. I have eyebrows now that I don't have to pluck and I'm happy with the eyelashes (even though I use a build-up fibre and Mascara now)

Rads side effects........? Burn and tired. Polysporin for the burn and 'Leave Me The Hell Alone!" for the tiredness.

LOL.......Hugs Jxxxxxxxx
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Hairy Issues
    My bodily hair ALL fell out with chemo. Also my finger and toe nails. With Rads my other hair started to return, but not my underarm on the affected side...It still hasn't a year later. I have eyebrows now that I don't have to pluck and I'm happy with the eyelashes (even though I use a build-up fibre and Mascara now)

Rads side effects........? Burn and tired. Polysporin for the burn and 'Leave Me The Hell Alone!" for the tiredness.

LOL.......Hugs Jxxxxxxxx

So far, just a burn from
    So far, just a burn from rads. The radiation oncologist said I would probably lose the hair where I was getting the treatment, which is fine. I won't have to shave under my arm. lol They give you rads there too because your lymph nodes are there. Another reason never to consider mammosite radiation. They don't put any radiation there, just at the tumor site, which is not enough. But, you don't lose the hair on your head unless you are getting radiation on your head. Good luck!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Rads
    About the same with me as everyone else, finished rads the end of December 2007, had a few sprouts under my arms, but all the rest has now come back (boo hoo) could have done with a few places missing hair. Never really got tired either, but that does vary with each person. After chemo, this is easier, just make sure you keep an eye on the burn, let someone know if it seems to be turning too red, they can adjust your treatment to suit your progress.

=^..^=
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    RaDiaTiOn
    Hi Peb! You only lose hair where they are giving you the radiation, that's it. I got a lil burnt by my collarbone, but, they gave me cremes for that and it worked as well as it could. I think it is impossible to stop any kind of a burn, but, your radiation oncologist will keep an eye on your skin and help you with any discomfort. I am one of those that got tired. Just going everyday for almost 8 weeks was tiring. So, get lots of rest and take naps if you can. Good luck! We are here to help you!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

RaDiaTiOn
    Hi Peb! You only lose hair where they are giving you the radiation, that's it. I got a lil burnt by my collarbone, but, they gave me cremes for that and it worked as well as it could. I think it is impossible to stop any kind of a burn, but, your radiation oncologist will keep an eye on your skin and help you with any discomfort. I am one of those that got tired. Just going everyday for almost 8 weeks was tiring. So, get lots of rest and take naps if you can. Good luck! We are here to help you!

Just want to welcome you
    Just want to welcome you Peb!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Just want to welcome you
    Just want to welcome you Peb!

Peb, I got burnt in places
    Peb, I got burnt in places and I was also one of those that was exhausted by the time I finished rads. It takes a lot out of you. I wish you the best!
  • moodysgoose
    moodysgoose Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I had my third treatment this morning, and had a serious vertigo episode. Has anyone else experienced that? Thanks.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    ExcellentTrouble321 Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I have not yet started my radiation. I hope you are feeling better.

You might want to start a new post as this one started some years ago, and your comment is sonewhat buried. Also you can try the online chat. Or the Reach to Recovery program here for breast cancer patients.

• ExcellentTrouble321
    ExcellentTrouble321 Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

You can get paired with a breast cancer survivor to text and talk with.

• Sailingaway
    Sailingaway Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Anyone have any thoughts on the affects to the lungs 25-30 years from now? I know the doctors need to treat us today, but I'm concerned for the future as well.

• CRC1
    CRC1 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I am a five year survivor. I had rads but no chemo. Had treatment for about a month. My hair did not come out at all, and the last two treatments kind of scalded my skin on that breast. But in a few days, was better. Be sure to follow the directions they give you, and try to relax, and keep in good communication with you rad onc as to how you are doing. Me, I used the creams every day, several times. I made sure to get plenty of protein as they recommended. I also got exercise every day. I was not tired during the treatment, but did experience some tiredness long after the treatment was over. Everyone is different, I hope you have no issues whatsoever.

• Sailingaway
    Sailingaway Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

ok thank you