Planting a Tree for LIFE today...

Options
VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My new Sterling Silver Linden Tree will be here in about an hour. This is my stand...a tree for my new LIFE. Hubby is happy because it will shade our hot, dry yard. To me it symbolizes a move forward.

Pictures later when it's all done. It's a big tree...2 1/2 inch trunk and already about 12-15 feet tall (it will eventually reach 30 feet)

Many hugs, Vicki

Comments

• dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Great Idea
    My HOA has been bugging me because I have to have a certain kind of tree in my front yard. I think after the good results I am going to get, I will do the same and let it be a new beginning...AMEN

Beth
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Never too many trees...
    Hey, Vicki
    I have never heard of a Sterling Silver Linden tree before? Is this a native tree for your state or one that is popular where you live? What type of tree is it similar to? Looking forward to checking it out.

It's a great idea and shade trees are a welcome in the heat where you can run to them for cover.

-Craig
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Trees
    GREAT IDEA and can't wait to see the pics.

I hired a professional landscape company (Meadows Farms) to landscape our new WV home in 2004. After 5 years, my trees are doing GREAT and are huge. I have 1 October Glory Maple and Kunzawia (sp?) Cherry in front, 3 Cleveland Pears & 1 VERY LARGE Black Walnut Tree (existing) in backyard.

I love to watch the birds nest in our trees
  • VickiCO
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Never too many trees...
    Hey, Vicki
    I have never heard of a Sterling Silver Linden tree before? Is this a native tree for your state or one that is popular where you live? What type of tree is it similar to? Looking forward to checking it out.

It's a great idea and shade trees are a welcome in the heat where you can run to them for cover.

-Craig

Sterling Silvers
    Craig,

Linden trees are common in Colorado, but I don't think they are native. They do well in our dry climate, and handle wind...which is a daily occurrence! The Sterling Sliver was developed in about 1988. It resists Japanese Beetles, a real problem here. And the leaves are so pretty...thye come out silver, turn green on top and stay silver on the bottom.

You can see it here:http://www.littletongov.org/publicservices/trees/treedetail.asp?treesID=1

The city of Littleton CO was selling small starts for $30, but if you want a mature tree (I did)they can normally run in the hundreds. We got lucky...a local tree farm was overstocked and sold us a $500 tree for $199...but don't ask what they charge to plant it! LOL!

Vicki
  • VickiCO
    Options
    nudgie said:

Trees
    GREAT IDEA and can't wait to see the pics.

I hired a professional landscape company (Meadows Farms) to landscape our new WV home in 2004. After 5 years, my trees are doing GREAT and are huge. I have 1 October Glory Maple and Kunzawia (sp?) Cherry in front, 3 Cleveland Pears & 1 VERY LARGE Black Walnut Tree (existing) in backyard.

I love to watch the birds nest in our trees

Black Walnuts
    I LOVE black walnut trees...even though they are messy! When we had our farm in Illinois, the house was on a ridge covered with them. Our farm was called "Walnut Ridge Llama Farm". I miss those trees....

Our house there was built in the 1840's and all the woodwork was walnut from right off the farm. WaaaaH! I am homesick!

Vicki
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Black Walnuts
    I LOVE black walnut trees...even though they are messy! When we had our farm in Illinois, the house was on a ridge covered with them. Our farm was called "Walnut Ridge Llama Farm". I miss those trees....

Our house there was built in the 1840's and all the woodwork was walnut from right off the farm. WaaaaH! I am homesick!

Vicki

I Love....
    ...Weeping Willows, and want a few of those in my yard, but what a great thing to do, plant a tree, in starting a new life, I think I want to do that, even though I'm not NED, it's a new life living with cancer, and wonder if I can even afford to get this tree...I'm going too look them up now! Great idea Vicki, a wonderful thing you are doing!

Hugsssss!
    ~Donna
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Lovely
    That sounds lovely! I can't wait to see pictures!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • qwe
    qwe Member Posts: 124
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Lovely
    That sounds lovely! I can't wait to see pictures!

*hugs*
    Gail

WOW that is a wonderful
    WOW that is a wonderful ideal and it will grow with you through the years Ideal plant some flower around the tree to dress it up I bet it would look so pretty.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Shayenne said:

I Love....
    ...Weeping Willows, and want a few of those in my yard, but what a great thing to do, plant a tree, in starting a new life, I think I want to do that, even though I'm not NED, it's a new life living with cancer, and wonder if I can even afford to get this tree...I'm going too look them up now! Great idea Vicki, a wonderful thing you are doing!

Hugsssss!
    ~Donna

Cherry Tree
    i am glad that you planted the tree and can look at it, appreciate it's beauty and your life.

I planted a bing cherry tree, and said I was going to see it bare fruit. Well little did I know I would get cherries the first year......well, four cherries, and the dang crowes ate them! ;-)
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Vicki
    What a wonderful thing to do. This spring we planted 2 weeping willows. I planted small ones because they grow quickly and because I will be here to see them mature. My real statement was that I planted asparagus. It takes 3 years to mature and you harvest in the spring - the season of hope. I will be 4 1/2 yrs from my original diagnosis when I harvest and I intend to have an asparagus party.

A symbol of hope is a powerful thing.

Congratulations,

Kimby
  • wizarddr
    wizarddr Member Posts: 11
    Options
    A great reminder
    Vicki, I too have a tree for life. Shortly after my last chemo treatment, a nursery delivered a red split leaf maple to the house. It was a gift from sister who also had cancer years previously. Her husband had bought her a tree for life when she was clean and she now passes the tradition on. It is beautiful and alsways there as a reminder that life goes on. Mine is in the front flower bed outside my dining room pisture window. I see it everyday. The Wiz...
  • VickiCO
    Options
    wizarddr said:

A great reminder
    Vicki, I too have a tree for life. Shortly after my last chemo treatment, a nursery delivered a red split leaf maple to the house. It was a gift from sister who also had cancer years previously. Her husband had bought her a tree for life when she was clean and she now passes the tradition on. It is beautiful and alsways there as a reminder that life goes on. Mine is in the front flower bed outside my dining room pisture window. I see it everyday. The Wiz...

My tree is on my avatar
    So you can see it here! It is doing well, and I enjoy it so much. I can look out my kitchen window and see it.

Vicki