wigs (itchy, comfy or sweaty what helps)

kiley40
kiley40 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I tried on wigs today for the future bald head courtesy of cancer chemo. I found one but I think it will be a long summer of discomfort. Will it be itchy, comfy, sweaty? what will help?

Comments

  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    I don't know. I am going
    I don't know. I am going tomorrow wig shopping.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    wigs
    I was in chemo through the summer and I could not wear anything on my head. Very rarely I wore a scarf at work when the ac was blowing on my head. I notice the head gets VERY sensitive when the hair starts coming out and all of the time it is gone. Do what works for you, but if you don't like things on your head, scarves, hats (soft) and that sort of thing might work better for you.

    Good luck, and if no one has told you yet, when the hair follicles die, your head starts to hurt, feels like you have had your hair in a very tight ponytail for too long. That will probably be your first indication that is will start falling out.

    =^..^=
  • arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 118
    Ugh!
    I opted for the soft caps instead of the wigs which I found were too hot! Google head coverings and you find some cool ones. Ten years ago, when I had my chemo, you could only get the close fitting caps. Now they have ones that have some "lift" and actually look rather nice! I have a recurrence now and at first thought I would need chemo--luckily my cancer is highly estrogen sensitive so the AIs can do the job--so I investigated. I went ahead and ordered some I found even though I would not NEED them. (One had butterflies all over it and I LOVE butterflies!) Some places have soft cotton wig liners, but that doesn't help the heat factor.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    I bought a wig...
    ... and never, ever wore it - not even once. Exclusively used hats and scarfs - was hairless during Midwestern autumn and winter months. Too cold to be "naked" on top!

    Everyone needs to do whatever is most comfortable.

    Kind regards, Susan
  • journeyon
    journeyon Member Posts: 16
    Wigs
    You know, it wasn't as uncomfortable wearing a wig as I thought it would be. I still hate my wig, because it's not my hair. I bought a wig turbans, wraps and hats before my hair fell out. II only started wearing my wig when someone at work called to say they saw me with a turban and felt sorry for me, so on went the wig. We've had some hot days so far and the wig gets a bit itchy, although it's not real uncomfortable. I do pull the thing off the minute I walk in the house. I've always hated to wear hats, so that's the main reason I don't like it. I prefer to wear head wraps when I go to the store where people don't know me so they don't tell me if they feel sorry for me or not. I prefer the head wraps as they are lighter. If you like wearing hats you may have no problem wearing a wig.

    My head did not hurt, however it did feel feel a bit 'different' (tingling) before my hair fell out. My hair fell out 12 days after my first Taxotere and Cytoxan chemotherapy treatment. It's been 8 weeks since my last treatment and my hair is about an 1/8 inch long. My biggest concern is now, is when will my eyelashes grow back? :-)
  • arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 118
    Kat11 said:

    I don't know. I am going
    I don't know. I am going tomorrow wig shopping.

    Find one?
    How did the shopping trip go? Did you find one? It is fun trying on different looks. Are there some new styles out now that are more comfortable?
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Wigs
    Kiley, I have worn a long, black, human hair wig for six months now. I'm really glad I have it, and it's usually fine. Sometimes though, especially in the heat, it's not always the most comfortable thing. Now that I have some hair on my head, I will wear a hat when I go to the grocery store, movies, etc. But at work or out with friends, I always have on a wig. It helps me feel better about myself. But I have thought about going "naked." I think it's great if that's what you want to do. I've seen women who go sans head covering, and no one so much as bats an eyelash. Do what is comfortable.

    Good luck.

    Mimi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    journeyon said:

    Wigs
    You know, it wasn't as uncomfortable wearing a wig as I thought it would be. I still hate my wig, because it's not my hair. I bought a wig turbans, wraps and hats before my hair fell out. II only started wearing my wig when someone at work called to say they saw me with a turban and felt sorry for me, so on went the wig. We've had some hot days so far and the wig gets a bit itchy, although it's not real uncomfortable. I do pull the thing off the minute I walk in the house. I've always hated to wear hats, so that's the main reason I don't like it. I prefer to wear head wraps when I go to the store where people don't know me so they don't tell me if they feel sorry for me or not. I prefer the head wraps as they are lighter. If you like wearing hats you may have no problem wearing a wig.

    My head did not hurt, however it did feel feel a bit 'different' (tingling) before my hair fell out. My hair fell out 12 days after my first Taxotere and Cytoxan chemotherapy treatment. It's been 8 weeks since my last treatment and my hair is about an 1/8 inch long. My biggest concern is now, is when will my eyelashes grow back? :-)

    Sfitzthum
    Someone at work actually called to say that she felt sorry for you?!! That's outrageous. What a moron. I actually feel sorry for her that she doesn't have an ounce of sensitivity and can't think beyond her own limited experiences. I am angry on your behalf. Don't let this person deter you from wearing what you damn well please on top of your head. Jeez.

    Mimi
  • BCdone
    BCdone Member Posts: 8
    wigs
    I love my wigs. I found a great color and now have 8 wigs (4 different styles) all in the same color. My hair has come back but is not manageable so I wear a wig everyday. They have cut about 20 minutes off my getting ready in the morning. Just pop on my wig and go - I love it! Can we mention a website on these forums? or a specific kind of wig? I didn't know if that was proper, but I would be glad to share that information. I did find that you need to try on wigs and then I go online to order. In the summer I sometimes have a problem - it gets hot but you can find a moisture absorbing pad that goes under your wig. If I'm at home I whip off the wig - cool off and put it back on!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    mimivac said:

    Sfitzthum
    Someone at work actually called to say that she felt sorry for you?!! That's outrageous. What a moron. I actually feel sorry for her that she doesn't have an ounce of sensitivity and can't think beyond her own limited experiences. I am angry on your behalf. Don't let this person deter you from wearing what you damn well please on top of your head. Jeez.

    Mimi

    I am with Mimi on how
    I am with Mimi on how insensitive that moron at work was to say that to you! You wear what you want to or wear nothing if you want. Hugs, Noel
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Wiggy
    My hair started falling out after my first chemo. Merry Christmas! It does feel wierd. I kept telling people that my hair hurt and I just got funny looks. Personally, I love the look of the wig - I got two, one a pageboy and one that this morning I thought it looked a bit like Kate's hair from John & Kate (no more) plus 8. Not as drastic, but a great style for me and I love the color - golden blond with brown underneath. I hate the way they feel, and know that within a couple of weeks my own hair (growing back sterling silver) will be long enough to go without. My own experience is that the wigs itch, and it always feels like I have a hat on. It used to come off as soon as I walked in my door, but now it comes off the minute I get into the car. That's my own experience, I know some of us love them. Being a big woman, without hair I look like I have a big body with a walnut head, so scarves and turbans looked wierd on me. For Christmas my brother gave me a flourescent green hat and a bright red straight wig from the dollar store. Maybe some day I'll have enough nerve to post that picture here. LOL. Good luck with the wig Kiley40! Let us know how it turns out.
    Pat
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    padee6339 said:

    Wiggy
    My hair started falling out after my first chemo. Merry Christmas! It does feel wierd. I kept telling people that my hair hurt and I just got funny looks. Personally, I love the look of the wig - I got two, one a pageboy and one that this morning I thought it looked a bit like Kate's hair from John & Kate (no more) plus 8. Not as drastic, but a great style for me and I love the color - golden blond with brown underneath. I hate the way they feel, and know that within a couple of weeks my own hair (growing back sterling silver) will be long enough to go without. My own experience is that the wigs itch, and it always feels like I have a hat on. It used to come off as soon as I walked in my door, but now it comes off the minute I get into the car. That's my own experience, I know some of us love them. Being a big woman, without hair I look like I have a big body with a walnut head, so scarves and turbans looked wierd on me. For Christmas my brother gave me a flourescent green hat and a bright red straight wig from the dollar store. Maybe some day I'll have enough nerve to post that picture here. LOL. Good luck with the wig Kiley40! Let us know how it turns out.
    Pat

    Hey Pat
    I have a Kate style

    Hey Pat
    I have a Kate style wig too that I love to wear. I just lost my hair so I'm still figuring out what to wear in the heat, but I don't like being so noticible in pubic. I prefer to blend in with the crowd.The wig is a little itchy in the heat so I yank it off the minute I hit the door.
    Dee
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Wigs or other options
    Kiley40,

    I used wigs or scarves when I went to work. The wigs were not the most comfortable and I found myself taking it off in the car on the way home and putting on a soft cap that looks like a swimming cap (you can find these on the ACS website) or a soft hat.

    When I was not working, I would wear caps, scarves, or the soft caps (normally used for nighttime sleeping). When your hair first grows back, as mentioned my several others, your skull cannot tolerate anything on it. This is why I liked the soft caps so much, though you can buy a nylon head cover to put on under your wig. For me, this just added more unwanted layers.

    If you're not into have something foreign on your head, you may prefer to stick with scarves. If you go to the "Look Good, Feel Better," class offered by ACS, you will find ways to try your scarves that make a nice looking "headress." Another suggestion for scarf tying, something that was quite fun actually, I went to a friend of mine (who is African American) and she helped me tie my scarf in different ways. I found an easy one that I could do and it really looked nice.

    Good luck to you,
    dmc
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    dmc_emmy said:

    Wigs or other options
    Kiley40,

    I used wigs or scarves when I went to work. The wigs were not the most comfortable and I found myself taking it off in the car on the way home and putting on a soft cap that looks like a swimming cap (you can find these on the ACS website) or a soft hat.

    When I was not working, I would wear caps, scarves, or the soft caps (normally used for nighttime sleeping). When your hair first grows back, as mentioned my several others, your skull cannot tolerate anything on it. This is why I liked the soft caps so much, though you can buy a nylon head cover to put on under your wig. For me, this just added more unwanted layers.

    If you're not into have something foreign on your head, you may prefer to stick with scarves. If you go to the "Look Good, Feel Better," class offered by ACS, you will find ways to try your scarves that make a nice looking "headress." Another suggestion for scarf tying, something that was quite fun actually, I went to a friend of mine (who is African American) and she helped me tie my scarf in different ways. I found an easy one that I could do and it really looked nice.

    Good luck to you,
    dmc

    Wigs
    I got 2 from Ebay. One was long blonde-rock-star-style (Yeah, like twisted Sister)... The other was a very youngish brunette with bronze streaks.....Made me look like a teenaged hooker! LOL

    I had fun with them, Nobody caught on they were wigs as I plaited the rock-star one, and you dont get wigs in plaits.

    I eventually got rid and moved on to sparkly turquoise scarves. Then Nothing at all.......But only AFTER I got some hair. LOL

    Hope this helps Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • journeyon
    journeyon Member Posts: 16
    mimivac said:

    Sfitzthum
    Someone at work actually called to say that she felt sorry for you?!! That's outrageous. What a moron. I actually feel sorry for her that she doesn't have an ounce of sensitivity and can't think beyond her own limited experiences. I am angry on your behalf. Don't let this person deter you from wearing what you damn well please on top of your head. Jeez.

    Mimi

    Hi Mimi

    I really do think she meant well and really just wanted to express her concerns. Because that was the last thing I wanted people to do (feel sorry for me), I decided to wear my wig so people wouldn't wonder what was going on with me.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    tasha_111 said:

    Wigs
    I got 2 from Ebay. One was long blonde-rock-star-style (Yeah, like twisted Sister)... The other was a very youngish brunette with bronze streaks.....Made me look like a teenaged hooker! LOL

    I had fun with them, Nobody caught on they were wigs as I plaited the rock-star one, and you dont get wigs in plaits.

    I eventually got rid and moved on to sparkly turquoise scarves. Then Nothing at all.......But only AFTER I got some hair. LOL

    Hope this helps Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Tasha, what is plaiting?
    Tasha, what is plaiting? Sorry, I don't know what that is. lol But, sounds like it made the wig look more real.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    jnl said:

    Tasha, what is plaiting?
    Tasha, what is plaiting? Sorry, I don't know what that is. lol But, sounds like it made the wig look more real.

    Plaiting?
    Oh sorry, I think you call it Braiding.? 3 sections crossed one over the other.

    ...Sorry, I sometimed forget that I don't know the Lingo here. Jxxxxxx