appt with associate

jane65
jane65 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi Ladies,
I saw my oncologist's associate this morning, and I'm glad I did because I got a new perspective.

He said that any infection or inflammation in the body could affect the CA125 level. Therefore the biopsies and pink discharge after the vaginal biopsies, may possibly be the reason for the 6 point rise in the past 2 months.

He also said for OVCA, he prefers to go by the scan results, in regard to changing, or restarting chemo. Unless the CA is taking a huge jump like 60-100 points over a short time.

He feels that my CA only being 17.3 is normal and anything up to 35-40 would be considered normal,therefore he recommends a wait and see approach. My March scan was normal with no sign of cancer.

He also said that I've been on Topotecan for 10 months, which is a long time and my body really needs the break, for my bone marrow to recover and work normally.

The nurse took blood for a CA and blood panel today, I'll have the results when I see my regular oncologist next Monday.

I'll have another CT scan in August, and the CA125 and port flush repeated monthly.

He also said that for OVCA he prefers a CT scan rather than a PET/CT, unless the CT shows something suspicious which should be further investigated.

So, my hubby and I are thrilled.. no chemo at this time, and we can have a non cancer thought in our minds after 2+ rotten years. The doctor did warn us that it's a chronic disease and will be back, but today I'm breathing easier.

I thought this info. might be useful to some of you.
I wish you all a pleasant day and good health!
Jane

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    That's great.
    See Jane, things worked out. That is why we should not worry too much too early. Saundra
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Wonderful
    Wonderful news for you, Jane.

And that news helps me too!

Thanks,
    Libby
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Wohoo
    That is all I got to say...:-) Praise the Lord
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    BonnieR said:

Wohoo
    That is all I got to say...:-) Praise the Lord

Great News
    Hi Jane, that's awesome news.I hope you don't have to go back on chemo for along time. Enjoy the rest and let your body heal.
    Hugs, Prayers and Love, Terry
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Happy Dancing!!
    Jane, thanks for the good news report. You deserve it!!
    Kathleen:)
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Thanks
    Good Morning ladies,
    Thank you to everyone who responded and shared my good news with me.
    I wish the same for everyone on this forum, you all deserve happy cancer free reports, now and forever.

As I said, I'll see my regular oncologist next Monday to find out what the CA report is, so I'm still holding my breath on that.

I woke up this morning asking myself if this is what happy feels like. It's been so long since I've felt that emotion.

I've thanked God over and over for letting me push the devil back into the hole he belongs in.

Have a pleasant day ladies,
    Jane