mammosite radiation

Options

Comments

• LdyJane
    LdyJane Member Posts: 7
    Options

MammoSite 5 Day Targeted Radiation Therapy
    MammoSite is the WAY TO GO if you fit the parameters! I had my lumpectomy done 2 yrs ago May, started MammoSite treatment the week following surgery. I had a "hiccup" after the 1st treatment on the 1st day; I developed too large of air pockets and had to have a bigger balloon placed. Went to the surgeons office to have that done and continued with treatment the following day. Because treatment started on a Wed, had the weekend off and finished the next week. When they replaced the balloon and took the balloon out after my final treatment, I had no problems with pain. I did experience "some" discomfort with the larger balloon, but not so bad that I was "terribly miserable". It sure beat having the radiation most women have (or had to have prior to MammoSite)...going 6-8 weeks or whatever. No side effects like with the external radiation. Noticed someone else from Voices of MammoSite has also posted and recommended: voicesofmammosite.com. Strongly suggest you go there and read the stories from ladies all over the country. Would certainly go for MammoSite treatment again (but hope I never have to!). Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. You can maintain your normal life much easier with the MammoSite than with the external... 2 treatments a day for 5 days and ALL DONE ... worked for me!

MammoSite 5 Day parameters
    Maggie, you mentioned "if you fit the parameters". What are the parameters?
  • jkw
    jkw Member Posts: 5
    Options
    To all the VoicesofMammosite.com women
    WOW!!! How fabulous...what great stories you tell. Thank you so much. I had done a good bit of research, and so was well informed about the medical procedures/issues/options....it was the personal experience that I was looking for. I am so delighted to know that I still do not have to put my life on hold. Also pleased to not to have radiation that will also hit other organs, even peripherally (heart and lungs), since it is my left breast.

I have checked out the voices of mammosite website. Will register and comment further. I must ask: since so many of you came from the voices site and your responses to me seem to be your only post, and you just registered...is there a link? Do you do searches to find people with mammosite questions? Just curious. If that is so.....you are doing a terrific job.
  • cindilofstedt
    cindilofstedt Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had MammoSite treatment
    I had MammoSite treatment last March, 2008 right after my lumpectomy and was so thankful to have this brief week of radiation. The catheter didn't hurt, just a little uncomfortable. The nurses and Doctors were very kind and helpful and each of my treatments were only 6 minutes in length. There was no discomfort with the radiation and it seemed like the week flew by. I had a bit of drainage with the catheter (since the balloon has saline in it) but that was normal and the nurses always cleaned the area with each treatment. After the last treatment, the catheter was removed and the wound was left open to heal. I was surprised about that but amazingly, one year later, you can hardly tell I had any kind of treatment.

I have become a spokesperson for MammoSite because I'm so excited about such an amazing treatment for early stage breast cancer. Instead of weeks of chemo and radiation, within 1 to 2 weeks, your treatment is complete. I have been cancer-free since then - approx. 95% of MammoSite-treated patients have no re-occurrence of cancer. After the radiation, the only side effect I had was a bit of fatigue for about a month, but I really couldn't tell if that was from the lumpectomy or the radiation.

I wish you all the very best with your MammoSite treatment and hope your week goes by quickly and your recovery is brief.

Please don't hesitate to correspond in the future if you'd like to.

Cindi Lofstedt
    Arizona
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

I had MammoSite treatment
    I had MammoSite treatment last March, 2008 right after my lumpectomy and was so thankful to have this brief week of radiation. The catheter didn't hurt, just a little uncomfortable. The nurses and Doctors were very kind and helpful and each of my treatments were only 6 minutes in length. There was no discomfort with the radiation and it seemed like the week flew by. I had a bit of drainage with the catheter (since the balloon has saline in it) but that was normal and the nurses always cleaned the area with each treatment. After the last treatment, the catheter was removed and the wound was left open to heal. I was surprised about that but amazingly, one year later, you can hardly tell I had any kind of treatment.

I have become a spokesperson for MammoSite because I'm so excited about such an amazing treatment for early stage breast cancer. Instead of weeks of chemo and radiation, within 1 to 2 weeks, your treatment is complete. I have been cancer-free since then - approx. 95% of MammoSite-treated patients have no re-occurrence of cancer. After the radiation, the only side effect I had was a bit of fatigue for about a month, but I really couldn't tell if that was from the lumpectomy or the radiation.

I wish you all the very best with your MammoSite treatment and hope your week goes by quickly and your recovery is brief.

Please don't hesitate to correspond in the future if you'd like to.

Cindi Lofstedt
    Arizona

WOW - So many new members, with first posts on this thread!
    Because I completely lost track... This is a "group" greeting...

Warm welcome wishes to ALL of the new members, with their first posts here.

Kind regards, Susan
  • melanierf
    melanierf Member Posts: 1
    Options
    MammoSite Radiation
    I had the MammoSite radiation treatment in July 2003. My first breast cancer was in the left breast in 1994. I had chemo and 6 weeks of radiation with that diagnosis. In 2003 I was diagnosed with a different type of breast cancer in the right breast. I was so grateful to have the choice of the MammoSite or full breast radiation. I chose the MammoSite because of the location and size of the tumor. I'm happy to report that I have been cancer-free since 2003. As you have heard from others, after the week of treatment I was able to get right on with my life. Also, like others, I am one of the Voices of MammoSite. You can read my story on the Web site. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. My very best wishes to you as you start your treatment.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Kind regards, Susan

Yes, a lot of new members
    Yes, a lot of new members really chimed in on this. lol I wonder if they all own stock in it or something. lol

Mammosite is still considered trial. There is no long term data to prove that it is effective, or, as effective as the "norm" in radiation. So, before someone just wants to hurry thru rads, do your research. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying that I wanted a proven rad treatment. I don't want bc coming back because I wanted a quick rad treatment to get finished.

Luck to all of you! And, welcome to all of you new survivors!

And, don't jump on me for what I wrote. It is just my opinion...ok????
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

Kind regards, Susan

is this an advertisement?
    all these new members, just joined today and all praising this procedure that is still in a trial phase? wow, strange.

also, just my opinion...

=^..^=
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    melanierf said:

MammoSite Radiation
    I had the MammoSite radiation treatment in July 2003. My first breast cancer was in the left breast in 1994. I had chemo and 6 weeks of radiation with that diagnosis. In 2003 I was diagnosed with a different type of breast cancer in the right breast. I was so grateful to have the choice of the MammoSite or full breast radiation. I chose the MammoSite because of the location and size of the tumor. I'm happy to report that I have been cancer-free since 2003. As you have heard from others, after the week of treatment I was able to get right on with my life. Also, like others, I am one of the Voices of MammoSite. You can read my story on the Web site. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. My very best wishes to you as you start your treatment.

WoW
    I think it's kind of odd to that there are so many new members on just this post too, but in any case welcome to you all.
    I am newly Dx and my doctor said she thought it was early enough to call it stage 1 cancer, I am interested in this MammoSite thing. So thanks for posting your stories. I had no idea there were other radiation options out there for those you qualify.
    This is another question to put on the list.
    Thanks
    Aurora
  • JanTay
    JanTay Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mammosite radiation
    I had a mammosite 3 years ago and I would not hesitate to do it again. You go thru 5 days of radiation versus 6 weeks, it's over and done. It may be a little uncomfortable, there is no pain involved during the radiation, but the people at the hospital were with me all the way. IT'S WORTH IT. My husband has prostate cancer and is facing 43 daily treatments of radiation. I really can sympathize for him. I was lucky my radiation was a breeze compared to what he is facing. Good Luck!
  • lovemylab
    lovemylab Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mammosite
    I had this treatment last year and will be glad to answer any questions about my treatment with Mammosite which was positive. It just made sense TO ME to target only the cancerous area instead of my left chest wall. I actually ended up having the catheter for several weeks because I had a second surgery but developed NO complications from having it in so long. Please feel free to email me and/or check out my profile at Mammosite.com. I'm in VA.
    All the best as you begin this journey.
    Deena
  • rellard
    rellard Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Mammosite
    Hi- I am Rebecca I am 39 and I had the mammosite radiation in 2006. It was the best action for me to take. The catheter is a little uncomfortable with your bra but it is not bad. Get you bra's that fasten in the front like a sports bra and then you might not have to take off your top while doing the procedure. ( I didn't) :) It takes about 15 min. 2 times a day, but it is so well worth it!

The MammoSite Radiation targets just the affected area not the whole breast area which is great! And if you are in an early stage (which I was) it is the perfect way to treat the lumpectomy site. But make sure you talk to your Dr.'s - your radiation oncologist and surgeon, do your research and if it is the best fit for you go for it! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

you can contact me anytime. you can also find me at www.voicesofmammosite.com (TX)

Hope the best for you!

Rebecca Ellard
    2 yr BC Survivor
  • barend1
    barend1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    JKW
    Please email me donna.barentine@medtronic.com or call me at 704-651-3202. I would love to speak with you. I had the mammosite radiation done 2 years ago and it was a breeze. No pain, no burning on your skin and it doesn't affect the rest of your organs. My own mother had breast cancer years ago and I remember the pain and suffering of going through daily traditional radiation for 6 weeks. I was fortunate to qualify for the mammosite. 2 treatments daily for just 5 days and it had the same results as the old style treatments.
    Please let me alleviate your fears. It is a wonderful option.

Regards,
    Donna
  • rellard
    Options
    jkw said:

To all the VoicesofMammosite.com women
    WOW!!! How fabulous...what great stories you tell. Thank you so much. I had done a good bit of research, and so was well informed about the medical procedures/issues/options....it was the personal experience that I was looking for. I am so delighted to know that I still do not have to put my life on hold. Also pleased to not to have radiation that will also hit other organs, even peripherally (heart and lungs), since it is my left breast.

I have checked out the voices of mammosite website. Will register and comment further. I must ask: since so many of you came from the voices site and your responses to me seem to be your only post, and you just registered...is there a link? Do you do searches to find people with mammosite questions? Just curious. If that is so.....you are doing a terrific job.

VOICES OF MAMMOSITE
    We don't generally go looking for someone on a website and there's no link.... but our president does searches and notifies us if anyone needs help. and as you see we all chime in! we can also be found on Facebook.

We are all survivors and love to help others!
  • rellard
    Options
    cats_toy said:

all these new members, just joined today and all praising this procedure that is still in a trial phase? wow, strange.

also, just my opinion...

=^..^=

Adversitement
    You might see it as advertisement - but we don't get paid for our testemonies.... we just like to get the word out that there is another form of radiation available. I dont' consider it to be in a trial phase anymore.... so many have had it done, and with positive results. I would do it again if the need ever arose.
  • LdyJane
    LdyJane Member Posts: 7
    Options

Kind regards, Susan

Hi, I am new, but I'm not a
    Hi, I am new, but I'm not a spokesperson for anything; I just happened to find this forum and this discussion. My surgeon has spoken of the Mammosite plus other targeted radiation, but Mammosite is the only one I have a name for.

I had a lumpectomy on Friday and should have my pathology back today or tomorrow; we meet with the Rad. Onc. tomorrow and see what he has to say. With my family history and other findings in the biopsy, I was told that he may decide to do full breast radiation....we'll see!
    Janice
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

also, just my opinion...

=^..^=

A cult? lol
    This is a little odd. lol And, if it isn't an advertisement, then I don't know what an advertisement is. lol Very strange!

And, the 5 day mammosite is still considered a trial procedure as there is NO long term documented proof that it is effective like they wrote above. So, rather than risk the chance of your cancer coming back, I would want something that is proven to work.

Noone wants a recurrence and with an unproven treatment, it is very possible.
  • Gator Pat
    Gator Pat Member Posts: 1
    Options
    mammosite radiation
    Hello,
    I am responding to your email about the mammosite treatment. I had mine almost 2 years ago and although a fairly new method, I found it to be less invasive, with fewer side effects than traditional radiation.
    Although a little frightening at first, I will happy that I chose that form of treatment. Hang in there and relax as much as possible...it makes it a little easier to take.
    Be prepared to sleep in a chair for awhile ... it is easier to get up ...at least until you get used to it.
    Good Luck...God Bless You.
    Gator Pat
  • Easter
    Easter Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Mammosite
    Hello There.

There are so many new members because we all belong to the organization Voices of Mammosite. We do not have stock in anything. We stick together and support anyone with breast cancer. I had my procedure in February 2007. I had no problems, quick, fast convenient, painless. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but because you have traditional radiation doesn't mean it can't reoccur. We will always be in remission. I have faith in my Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. I knew he would take care of me. You can find me on the voicesofmammosite under stories. I live in Virginia. Contact me if you need to.
  • Easter
    Easter Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Mammosite
    Hello There.

There are so many new members because we all belong to the organization Voices of Mammosite. We do not have stock in anything. We stick together and support anyone with breast cancer. I had my procedure in February 2007. I had no problems, quick, fast convenient, painless. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but because you have traditional radiation doesn't mean it can't reoccur. We will always be in remission. I have faith in my Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. I knew he would take care of me. You can find me on the voicesofmammosite under stories. I live in Virginia. Contact me if you need to.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Easter said:

Mammosite
    Hello There.

LOL this is getting funny
    LOL this is getting funny with all of these NEW advertisements. Geesh...