Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    MrsKirby said:

Thank you all for your input.
    I am invited to join after my last chemo treatment. I think it is a good idea but I am concerned about the jaw risks (I read about them too) and the follow up since I get my care about 200 miles away from home. I am going to read everything I can and then make my decision. Please let me know if anyone has any input or advice.

In my case I think I was asked to participate because my doc is very into research and clinical trials and I fit the criteria. If I were receiving my care here, where I live, I would have never heard about it.

Good luck with your decision
    Good luck with your decision MrsKirby! Clinical trials can be good for some. But, be sure and read what is entailed in it and the risks. Let us know what you decide!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

I have done some searching
    I have done some searching about Boniva and it sounds like it would be a good trial to be involved in. Especially, since it will help your bones. The cancer center where I go to don't ask people, it is more like you ask to be in their trials. Strange, huh?

I believe the boniva trial
    I believe the boniva trial require's a three year commmitment. I was just reading about it.
  • NancySabet
    NancySabet Member Posts: 3
    Options

once a month I get zometa
    once a month I get zometa which is for the bones and my cancer has spread to my bones. It is helping with making me feel stronger.

breast cancer spread to bone
    I found out about it 3 months ago and I am on once a month zometa and hormon theropy (I have estrogen positive breast cancer). I was never treated by chem theropy but I will if this theropy did not work. Any one has any idea if I made a right decision? Some times I wonder if I should start chhemo right now!
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

When Biphosphanate Trial is Started
    Sorry, Kat, I don't know what you mean by the "Altto" study. As far as the biphosphanate study, part of it is to determine at what point it is best to start taking the drugs. I was asked to participate, but my liver enzymes were just off the requirements.

Nothing to concern my onc, but the study has a precise range that your counts must fall into. Enzymes reflect inflammation, which my onc. said would be expected with chemo and just after. So I am planning not to worry about that one. Would have liked the Zometa, and may start after chemo, on my own dime (ok, Joe's too). So, none of you already on Zometa have had any troubling side effects?

As far as not being asked to be in a study, Cat, that's not necessarily a desirable thing, being asked to be in a study. For example, I was eligible to participate in a trial for women at high risk of recurrence. Wish I did not qualify for THAT trial!

This particular trial allows
    This particular trial allows breast cancers in stages 1, 2, and 3. So it is not always forboding to be asked to join a trial.
  • Bev1969
    Bev1969 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I just signed up for this
    I just signed up for this clinical trial. The name of the clinical trial is SWOG 0307. My oncologist told me about it. He said that the study has already been done in Europe with good results. There are three different medicines being tested (Boniva is one of them). If I am accepted, one of the medicines will be randomly assigned to me by computer. My oncologist also told me that people who haven't taken care of their teeth are the primary ones that get the jaw problem so he didn't think I would have a problem with that. He also said that osteoporosis is a side effect of the treatment we get for the cancer and doing this study would help me prevent getting osteoporosis as well as decrease the chance of the cancer returning. Here is a web site that tells about the study: http://www.sgmc.org/blank.cfm?id=90&print=yes

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Bev
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

When Biphosphanate Trial is Started
    Sorry, Kat, I don't know what you mean by the "Altto" study. As far as the biphosphanate study, part of it is to determine at what point it is best to start taking the drugs. I was asked to participate, but my liver enzymes were just off the requirements.

Nothing to concern my onc, but the study has a precise range that your counts must fall into. Enzymes reflect inflammation, which my onc. said would be expected with chemo and just after. So I am planning not to worry about that one. Would have liked the Zometa, and may start after chemo, on my own dime (ok, Joe's too). So, none of you already on Zometa have had any troubling side effects?

As far as not being asked to be in a study, Cat, that's not necessarily a desirable thing, being asked to be in a study. For example, I was eligible to participate in a trial for women at high risk of recurrence. Wish I did not qualify for THAT trial!

I asked my rad onc
    and like Moopy said he said I have to fall into a certain category which i didn't. I wonder how much money it costs to do the Zometa on our own?
    hugs, jackie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Bev1969 said:

I just signed up for this
    I just signed up for this clinical trial. The name of the clinical trial is SWOG 0307. My oncologist told me about it. He said that the study has already been done in Europe with good results. There are three different medicines being tested (Boniva is one of them). If I am accepted, one of the medicines will be randomly assigned to me by computer. My oncologist also told me that people who haven't taken care of their teeth are the primary ones that get the jaw problem so he didn't think I would have a problem with that. He also said that osteoporosis is a side effect of the treatment we get for the cancer and doing this study would help me prevent getting osteoporosis as well as decrease the chance of the cancer returning. Here is a web site that tells about the study: http://www.sgmc.org/blank.cfm?id=90&print=yes

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Bev

I am not involved with a
    I am not involved with a clinical trial, but, want to say good luck to all of you and thanks for doing it.