a few questions

jane65
jane65 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Good morning ladies,
First let me wish all the Dads and husbands a very Happy Father's Day. You are the rocks who support us, and do so much as our caregivers and we really appreciate you, although this cancer makes us a bit loopy (or feisty) at times.

My questions are, and I apologize if we've covered them already.

Monday I'm seeing my oncologist's associate, my port will be flushed and my CA125 will be drawn.
For the past 3 months my CA has gone up a total of 6 points, my CT scan was clear but based on the CA reading my oncologist wants to start a new chemo regime. He feels that Topotecan has stopped working and wants to start Gemzar/Avastin.

Based on the new report, I'll ask his associate, if he'd wait until something shows up on a scan, before starting chemo again.

I'll also ask if he orders PET/CT scans or if he feels the CT is acceptable with OVCA follow ups.

Third, I'll ask of inflammation, or irritation in the body can affect the CA result.

If you have an opinion, or suggestion I'd appreciate it, I know I'm dealing with my doctor's associate, but I believe that I'll get an honest answer. Hopefully I won't hear that I should discuss it with my oncologist when I see him the following Monday.

Have a pleasant weekend whatever you do.

Jane

Comments

• JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231
    Questions
    Jane,
    You have probably heard all this before but make sure you write down your questions and Write the answers down or have someone with you write them down...it can all get a bit confusing when your in the office.....also I would ask your oncologist the same questions on the following Monday...just to see if the answers are the same or close anyway.
    I can't think of any questions but wishing you well.
    (((HUGS))) Joan
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    good questions
    Dear Jane, such good questions that will have a variety of answers. Have someone with you to hear the answers and maybe help with questions that the answers you hear may bring. Sorry to hear the ca125 is creeping up. Hugs Bonnie
  • jane65
    JoanC said:

Questions
    Jane,
    You have probably heard all this before but make sure you write down your questions and Write the answers down or have someone with you write them down...it can all get a bit confusing when your in the office.....also I would ask your oncologist the same questions on the following Monday...just to see if the answers are the same or close anyway.
    I can't think of any questions but wishing you well.
    (((HUGS))) Joan

Joan
    Hi Joan,
    Thanks for the suggestions, I always go in with a list of written questions, my poor oncologist looks at my hand to see how long the list is, when he comes into the pre chemo room.

I've gotten my hubby to go in with me to every doctor's appointment. In that way, not only do I have a back up for what I forget when I walk out, but he's also kept in the loop of how I'm doing.
    I wish you well too, Joan,
    Jane
  • jane65
    BonnieR said:

good questions
    Dear Jane, such good questions that will have a variety of answers. Have someone with you to hear the answers and maybe help with questions that the answers you hear may bring. Sorry to hear the ca125 is creeping up. Hugs Bonnie

Bonnie
    Hi Bonnie,
    As I just wrote Joan, I do write down the questions, in fact I start a list when I get home from a doctor's appointment. There's no way any of us with our chemo soaked brains can remember everything important.
    My hubby goes in with me, and the doctor talks to both of us, which is so important.
    I hope you're having a good day today,Bonnie.
    Jane
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    going up
    Jane,

My CA125 has gone up 7 points in a couple months with no other signs of disease. But still normal range. Is yours still in the normal range?

Libby
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Ask the questions...
    What is the total CA125 reading? Do they think this is a good marker for you? I think your questions are good ones. In the last 9 months my reading has gone from about 35 to 166 and I still have a negative CT scan and physical and have not started chemo. It is considered a good marker for me, so far. I expect to start chemo before the summer is over, however. Saundra
  • jane65
    LPack said:

going up
    Jane,

My CA125 has gone up 7 points in a couple months with no other signs of disease. But still normal range. Is yours still in the normal range?

Libby

Libby
    Hi Libby,
    My CA is 17.3, does your doctor feel that you should wait until something shows up on a scan, or is he planning to start treatment?

He had said we'd wait until it hits 25. to start treatment again.

This whole wait and see business is just cray making, it's literally waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope the other one never does for all of us!
    Jane
  • jane65
    saundra said:

Ask the questions...
    What is the total CA125 reading? Do they think this is a good marker for you? I think your questions are good ones. In the last 9 months my reading has gone from about 35 to 166 and I still have a negative CT scan and physical and have not started chemo. It is considered a good marker for me, so far. I expect to start chemo before the summer is over, however. Saundra

Saundra
    Hi Saundra,
    My CA was 11.0 in February, now it is 17.3 and yes, it's been a very good marker for the past 2 years.

My oncologist says it's a good marker for disease progression, and that's why he wants to start chemo again, now or when it hits 25.

I see you mentioned CT scan, is that what you normally get?
    My oncologist says it's the best type of scan for OVCA.
    Jane
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    jane65 said:

Saundra
    Hi Saundra,
    My CA was 11.0 in February, now it is 17.3 and yes, it's been a very good marker for the past 2 years.

My oncologist says it's a good marker for disease progression, and that's why he wants to start chemo again, now or when it hits 25.

I see you mentioned CT scan, is that what you normally get?
    My oncologist says it's the best type of scan for OVCA.
    Jane

Jane
    Yes, I have been getting CT scans every two to three months during this 10 month period, except I had three in May due to diverticulitis. At first my oncologist said we would start chemo when mine reached 100 but with the bowel inflamation it rose up over 100. It was 2999 when diagnosed. I am on the antiestrogen pill which has held the growth back some I think. The CA125 has been a good marker for me for over 2 years. Saundra
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator