Good news....

Options
Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just wanted to share some very good news with everyone. As everyone knows I have been waiting on results of OncotypeDX test to come in to know if I will need chemo. Well, I was sitting here this evening (sorta feeling down) and the phone rings. When I looked at the caller ID I thought "Oh no, don't answer that, it's a telemarketer!". But then I thought, "what the heck, I could use someone to talk to even if it is".
It turned out to be Genomic Labs that are doing my test(GET THIS...I WAS ON THEIR WEBSITE WHEN THEY CALLED.....YOU HAVE NOW ENTERED THE TWILIGHT ZONE!).
Turns out my Health Insurance (go figure...) says it is NOT a covered expense, but if they do the test, they can submit it and depending on the results, they will decide if they will cover it or not!! I never heard of such a thing! So I guess if its low and I don't need chemo, they deny it and chalk it up to a wasted test? or if it's high and I need chemo, how can they deny it now?
So I told Shawn (that was the nice guy's name on the phone I wanted to marry before the call was over!) that I do not have the funds to pay for this test if they turn it down so just forget it (now I am about in tears).
Then he says, "don't worry about it. we have talked it over". Turns out that they will attempt 3 times to get my insurance to cover it and if they turn it down still, then their lab will pick up the cost because they want me to have it done. He said they have a certain amount of grant money set aside for people who's insurance turns it down and I would qualify. Their Lab wants me to get the best treatment that is right for me and would like me permission to procede with the test.
What do you think I said? YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!
Then I told him how much he made my day and jumped on here to tell all of you. So, just thought I would share some good news. Bad part is they haven't done the test yet, but I can wait!! Yippeeee.....doing happy dance!!! :) Pammy

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Wow. That is about the
    Wow. That is about the coolest thing I've heard yet! It gives one hope for the health system
    after all....
    Hope you get good results!
    Dee
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Whoooo Hoooooo
    Awwwww Sweetie, Good News is Good News no matter how circuitous the route may be! There are still REAL ppl out there, with fellow feelings and actual emotions willing to do the right thing!

Regardless of the whys and hows and whatevers...have a GREAT weekend~ exhale and dance nekkid! You have earned this one!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • The1percen
    The1percen Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Pammy,
    That sonuds rather unusual these days... most of 'um would break it off in arse! Glad to hear it is taken care of! NOW... tell to just get the test done, the suspense is killin ya! I hope THAT news is as good! We're routting for you!! Have a great weekend!! If I COULD dance, I would, but I'm a TOTAL KLUTZ!!! LOL
    Take Care,
    Mike
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Yea Pammy.. I know how the
    Yea Pammy.. I know how the costs of these treatments and tests can reck havic on a lot of lives... it just isn't right.. as if can**r isn't enough then you have to worry about that! I'm glad you don't have to worry about it..

~Cheers

~T
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Very Good News!
    Pammy, what a relief. I myself learned recently how expensive tests can be and how insurance companies may try not to pay for them. I believe the oncotype test is several thousand dollars, so a Happy Dance is definitely called for.

Dancing with you,
    Moopy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Very Good News!
    Pammy, what a relief. I myself learned recently how expensive tests can be and how insurance companies may try not to pay for them. I believe the oncotype test is several thousand dollars, so a Happy Dance is definitely called for.

Dancing with you,
    Moopy

Great News, I don't
    Great News, I don't understand the insurance co. Is it not better to have you healthy.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Great news Pammy. It's
    Great news Pammy. It's great when these companies get private funding to help defray these kinds of costs. It's bad enough we have to go through all of this and on top of it, worry about whether our insurance will cover, really goes way beyond bad. Hope it all works out. Hugs, Lili
  • TrishyG
    TrishyG Member Posts: 40
    Options

Great news Pammy. It's
    Great news Pammy. It's great when these companies get private funding to help defray these kinds of costs. It's bad enough we have to go through all of this and on top of it, worry about whether our insurance will cover, really goes way beyond bad. Hope it all works out. Hugs, Lili

Great news
    Pammy you have been through so much with your insurance. I'm glad your test is covered. I loved your saga. I can't wait for chapter 7.

Hugs

Trish
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Pammy-what great news!
    Chalk one up for caring people! I have been amazed, time and time again, with the truly caring people I have found during the past 3 and 1/2 years since my dx. It gives me hope in the human race and, when I meet a person who is unkind, I try to remember all the good people I have met along the way.

Go ahead and Happy Dance all you want! My happy dances look like an elephant doing the twist, not a pretty site, so throw in an extra happy dance from me to you!

dmc
  • Kayla1
    Kayla1 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Pammy-what great news!
    Chalk one up for caring people! I have been amazed, time and time again, with the truly caring people I have found during the past 3 and 1/2 years since my dx. It gives me hope in the human race and, when I meet a person who is unkind, I try to remember all the good people I have met along the way.

Go ahead and Happy Dance all you want! My happy dances look like an elephant doing the twist, not a pretty site, so throw in an extra happy dance from me to you!

dmc

Pammy,
    Doing the Happy Dance

Pammy,
    Doing the Happy Dance right along with you, Great News!!! I like dmc have no groove but who cares, I'll just make my husband laugh!!
    K
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Pammy
    It's always good to hear good news. I don't understand insurance companies. The test is expensive but in the long run it's cheaper than chemo. Looks to me like they would want everyone to have the test.

Having a happy nekkid dance for you! (what a sight)

Jadie<3