May need to have my right ovary removed for biopsy? Anyone know how that surgery goes and length of

blueroses
blueroses Member Posts: 524
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Just wondering about what I might expect if I have to do the removal as the title of this post shows. Any experience with this type of surgery would be appreciated for my info. Not sure if the omentum will be biopsied too or not. Thanks. Blueroses.

Comments

• jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Hi,
    That blue rose is beautiful, I've never seen on in that color.

I'm wondering why you're having one ovary removed? have you had a hysterectomy with one ovary left so that you wouldn't go into premature menopause?

That was my case in 1983 and unfortunately it developed into OVCA.

I see that you've been a member since 7/08, but you've given us very little info. to base an answer on.

Perhaps you could tell us why you're having this surgery, and what tests led to the decision.

I was cut from navel to pelvis and my recuperation was about a month. I had lymph node involvement.

Good luck and let us know a bit more about your situation so we can be helpful and supportive.
    Jane
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    jane65 said:

Hi,

I'm wondering why you're having one ovary removed? have you had a hysterectomy with one ovary left so that you wouldn't go into premature menopause?

I see that you've been a member since 7/08, but you've given us very little info. to base an answer on.

Perhaps you could tell us why you're having this surgery, and what tests led to the decision.

I was cut from navel to pelvis and my recuperation was about a month. I had lymph node involvement.

Good luck and let us know a bit more about your situation so we can be helpful and supportive.
    Jane

For You
    Blue, I had the same cut, from navel to pelvis for the hysterectomy. Then two months later I had the staging surgery where I was cut from upper stomach area to the pelvis. That is when they did all my biopsies and took my appendix. Depending on what kind of surgery is how your healing time goes. They can also do laproscopy..small belly button cuts and this heals fairly quickly. The regular cut takes at least 6-7 weeks to feel somewhat back to normal. It has been 6 months for me and my energy level is just starting to come back. I only had pain for about 2 weeks. It took about 4 months for my stomach to settle down to be able to eat,I had a lot of nausea and diahrrea. Everyone is different in how they handle this. I was told it takes a while for your stomach to calm down because the intestines are very sensitive. They don't like to be touched or moved.

I had no choice in my surgeries or what kind. Keep asking questions of your doctors. Cindy
  • blueroses
    jane65 said:

Hi,

Jane

Hi Jane
    That rose is not a real picture. Blue roses are impossible to grow in nature due to the color combos needed to make a blue rose but recently they say they did make on but it's more mauve than true blue. You can get blue roses from florists but they dye them or spray paint them, the dyed ones are much more natural looking and quite beautiful. I loved them ever since I read a Tennessee Williams play called "The Glass Menagerie" where the heroine's nickname to one guy became 'blueroses'.

Well I usually post on the Emotional Support list so that's why you don't know alot about me and also I haven't had a diagnosis of ovarian but things are possibly heading in that direction - I hope not. I am trying to just see what I could possibly link or not to my symptoms and that is why I was asking questions here. I am a 20 year survivor of non hodgkins lymphoma and have been left with many side effects of the treatment. I only had the NHL come back once a year and a half after diagnosis in the late 80ties.

Just recently after doing a scan to track a wayward kidney stone in my bladder the radiologist spotted a 'lesion on my right ovary'. I just had a pelvic ultrasound and my GP called and said that actually its a nodule inside the ovary not on it. It is very very small and can't be diagnosed just like that. My gyno is on holidays but I see her July 10th, so not too long to wait, but my GP said that the radiologist suggested either removing that ovary alone for biopsy or doing the 'wait and see' thing and do the ultrasound over again in 2 or 3 months. My first question to my gyno would be - 'can't they do a needle biopsy of this thing laproscopically', instead of taking the whole ovary but maybe that's not possible. I know nothing about ovarian cancers as I had NHL. I also am experiencing low back pain, like the kind you get before your periods, and my GP said that it wouldn't be coming from that tiny tiny nodule so something else might be up.

Anywho hope those few details help. Blessings, Blueroses.
  • blueroses
    Cindy54 said:

For You
    Blue, I had the same cut, from navel to pelvis for the hysterectomy. Then two months later I had the staging surgery where I was cut from upper stomach area to the pelvis. That is when they did all my biopsies and took my appendix. Depending on what kind of surgery is how your healing time goes. They can also do laproscopy..small belly button cuts and this heals fairly quickly. The regular cut takes at least 6-7 weeks to feel somewhat back to normal. It has been 6 months for me and my energy level is just starting to come back. I only had pain for about 2 weeks. It took about 4 months for my stomach to settle down to be able to eat,I had a lot of nausea and diahrrea. Everyone is different in how they handle this. I was told it takes a while for your stomach to calm down because the intestines are very sensitive. They don't like to be touched or moved.

I had no choice in my surgeries or what kind. Keep asking questions of your doctors. Cindy

Thanks Cindy
    I learn a little more about what questions to ask the more I read the site here. Thanks for your input, it has helped. Blessings, Blueroses