Chapter 6

Options
Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yes...the long awaited chapter 6 is here. Sit back, relax, grab a cup of tea, and enjoy!!

Down the hallway they went. Pammy could feel her knees shaking just slightly. She didn't think the nurses noticed. She was sure the firm grip they had on her was precaution. She wasn't sure if she could make it into the room without passing out. All the sudden she wasn't feeling very brave anymore and she was feeling her heart beating faster.
Through the double doors to the left they went. She suddenly realized that she was standing in the operating room and stopped dead in her tracks. Now she was sure she couldn't take another step!
Looking around she could see bright overhead lights that would have been bright enough to lite up the inside of a football stadium. Lots and lots of surgical equipment scattered about. There was a tray on wheels that a nurse was positioning next to the operating table covered with a light blue paper drape. One nurse was preparing IV bags and hanging them just above the table. Another tray held an assortment of prefilled needles. Everyone in the room was dressed in blue surgical scubs with face mask on. It seemed everyone was buzzing around so quickly that she felt somewhat off balance. The room just seemed to be full of people. She started to count... one, two, three, four, five , six.......Suddenly she felt herself being gently nudged forward.
"Walk over this way, dear, and we'll get you onto the table. Let me just untie the back of your gown before you hop up here" one of the nurses was urging her.
Pammy looked down at the skinniest table she had ever seen with two protruding areas obviously to place your arms on. This wasn't like a bed or cot in a hospital. It wasn't even like a cot in a Doctor's office. It felt more like she was about to attempt the feat of lying on top of a balancing beam.
Somehow with the help of two nurses she managed to climb onto the table. Instantly one nurse took her left arm and placed it on the proper left arm holder. Another nurse took her right arm and placed it on the right arm holder. She also put a blood pressure cuff on that arm that she explained would automatically take her pressure throughout the procedure. At the same time towards the foot of the table was a third nurse that explained she was attaching a grounding pad to her thigh which felt like gel and was very warm. A fourth nurse was attaching electrodes on her chest, rib cage, and side. Then the first nurse was back with a warm blanket to cover her.
All of these task were flawlessly done with percission and speed. There was a calming sense that each participant was well qualified in their duties and this somewhat temporarily eased Pammy's mind.
"Pammy, I'm going to put some medicine in your IV now". Pammy reconized this voice as the Assistant Anestesiologist.
"Is this the part where I start to count my 23 seconds?" Pammy asked.
The assistant chuckled and said, "I like to think I took my time and I'll give you till 25 seconds. Is everyone ready? Good, Dr. Jullian, we're ready to proceed."
Those were the last word's Pammy heard. She had slipped away to never, never land.
The next thing she remembered hearing was her name from somewhere off in the distance....
"Pammy, honey, are you in pain? Do you want some pain medicine?"................

Stay tuned for chapter 7....the conclusion!!

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    good stuff
    Love it--can't wait for the final chapter.
    What will your next book be about? Curious minds want to know.

Margo
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

good stuff
    Love it--can't wait for the final chapter.
    What will your next book be about? Curious minds want to know.

Margo

Wow.. not so patiently
    Wow.. not so patiently awaiting chapter 7... where is it... ?? Okay about that table they put you on.. I didn't walk into the OR.. Don't think they could have gotten me to if they had wanted me to... but when they told me to scoot over to the "bed" in OR.. I gave the nurse a funny look.. that thing was soooo small... I thought surely I would fall off.. I'm not all that big.. I weigh right around 135lbs.. 5'4.. but I just knew I would somehow fall off.. the nurse apparently read my mind.. she said.. "it's okay honey.. we use this for patients up to 300lbs... it will be okay..." I didn't know they trained nurses in mind reading.. but I was glad to hear I wouldn't be hitting the floor!

Will be checking in too find chapter 7!

Hugs, Love & Friendship

~T
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    sniff
    so very well written...again...i sit here at work, with my coffee, crying as i read...it's as if i'm there....don't stop writing...it's painful to hear...but so good to see it actually in writing.
  • The1percen
    The1percen Member Posts: 135
    Options
    OH, come on...
    that was WAY TOO SHORT!!! Pammy, you should write a book! You put me right in there with you... not that is necessarily a "GOOD" thing LOL!!! I wait with baited breath for the next installment!! Good job and thank you!
    Mike
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

OH, come on...
    that was WAY TOO SHORT!!! Pammy, you should write a book! You put me right in there with you... not that is necessarily a "GOOD" thing LOL!!! I wait with baited breath for the next installment!! Good job and thank you!
    Mike

Ohhhhhhh Pammy...More More More!
    PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • JoMama54
    JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
    Options
    I Love It!
    For reals.................takes me back with tears................can't wait for the 7th
    chapter. You have a great way with words Pammy!
    JoMama
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    JoMama54 said:

I Love It!
    For reals.................takes me back with tears................can't wait for the 7th
    chapter. You have a great way with words Pammy!
    JoMama

what timing
    It was one year ago today that I had my surgery. Ironic that this is posted today. Saddens me that somewhere someone else is going through this today.

dawn
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I thought they would have me
    I thought they would have me count backwards too. The Anestesiologist just kept talking to me and asking me questions. I'd be babbling on not realizing what he was doing till afterwards. I'd drop off like a cliff right in the middle of a sentence. I remembered afterwards exactly what I said but didn't write it down so now I don't remember.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Thanks
    What a good story. Wish it wasn't true. Love, Lynn
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Great story, will wait for 7

Great story, will wait for 7
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Options
    chapter six
    Pammy, You are amazing...what does hubby think of these stories.

Julie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Bump
    For Angel....Whoops, Never wrote the conclusion!!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Couldn't take the time to post, so absorbed in the story
    Pammy, who knew that cancer surgery could be fun? You've brought back those memories for me, but in a way that they are not so toxic. Thank you so much for writing your life in chapters. I really didn't want to take time to post after Chapter 2, because I wanted to get to Chapter 3, and so on up to this chapter. I'm posting now, tromping at the bit for the imminent chapter 7! Lynn
  • angel143
    angel143 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    I love
    I love your story. As I was reading it I am imagining myself inside the operating room and on top of the "skinniest table" and all the preparations before the surgery are being performed. I am kind of feeling how I would actually feel on that day but as I was reading your chapter 6 you have such a brave heart that you have succeeded this. Waiting for the chapter 7. Hugs and kisses. God bless.