to choose or not to choose a bilateral...

Options
2»

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

thanks everyone!!
    I am still swimming in a sea of indecision...although my MRI came back negative...that's a good thing!!! I guess my decision is not really based on medical reasons, but rather psychological. Also struggling with which reconstructive prodecure to do.

Has anyone had a previously radiated breast reconstructed with an implant - as I've heard that could potentially be problematic.

Wonderful news about your
    Wonderful news about your MRI! I had a lumpectomy so I can't answer the rest of your question! But, others here can. Good luck!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

thanks everyone!!
    I am still swimming in a sea of indecision...although my MRI came back negative...that's a good thing!!! I guess my decision is not really based on medical reasons, but rather psychological. Also struggling with which reconstructive prodecure to do.

Has anyone had a previously radiated breast reconstructed with an implant - as I've heard that could potentially be problematic.

Very good news on your MRI!
    Very good news on your MRI! Congrats on that! That is always a huge relief!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

thanks everyone!!

WOOHOO on good results from
    WOOHOO on good results from MRI! I had a lumpectomy and am just about done with rads. WOOHOO for me almost. lol Good luck with your decision dancr!
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    I will tell you that even
    I will tell you that even tho i was diagnosed with cancer in the left breast, i chose to remove both and am so thankful i did. My right breast was a mess with cysts, a couple of tumors and the tissue was beginning to change as well. The cancer had not started in the right breast but it was getting ready. Had i only chosen to remove the left, it scares me to think that i would have to go through another mastectomy and god only knows when it would have been caught. I by no means am telling you that you need to have the other removed. You have to make that tough decision. But in my case, i am so glad i chose both. Good luck and god bless.

laura
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    I know that some women have
    I know that some women have to have a mastectomy, while others have a choice. But, just remember that the survival rate is the same with a lumpectomy and a mastectomy. No difference. Any oncologist or surgeon will tell you that even with a mastectomy, you still have breast tissue. There is no way they can remove it all. But, everyone has to do what is best for them and what is the best choice. I know you will do what is best for you! Good luck to you!
  • Mairin
    Mairin Member Posts: 2
    Options
    to choose or not to choose a bilateral
    Every woman must make up her own mind. I had right breast removed because of DCIS in March. I chose to have only the right removed. I was so sorry I didn't have them both removed. I thought that I should keep the healthy one. I was miserable because the left breast heavy (3 pounds). I couldn't take being lopsided. I had the left breast removed in June. Sometimes I wish that they were done together. What a relief. Good luck making your decision.