Options
2»

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I had an MRI when they
    I had an MRI when they diagnosed me. They inject you with dye so things show up better. It's over quickly so try not to focus on that. I was scared of needles also and didn't even have anything when I had my kids. But this is different and is needed. Try to think of happy thoughts or places when they insert the needle. Try not to think about it. You can do it.

I've had several MRI's, and

I've had several MRI's, and they do an injection. I was lying face down at the time, so I didn't see it. The injection was almost a non-event for me, and I do not do well with needles. I have a high pain tolerance, but show me a needle and I'm close to passing out.

My doctor did offer to prescribe Valium to take before the MRI: if you feel this would help, ask your doctor. I chose not to use it, but I know that it's not unusual.

Joyce
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    jk1952 said:

I've had several MRI's, and

I've had several MRI's, and they do an injection. I was lying face down at the time, so I didn't see it. The injection was almost a non-event for me, and I do not do well with needles. I have a high pain tolerance, but show me a needle and I'm close to passing out.

My doctor did offer to prescribe Valium to take before the MRI: if you feel this would help, ask your doctor. I chose not to use it, but I know that it's not unusual.

Joyce

My MRI took probably an
    My MRI took probably an hour. And, they put an iv in me and I was laying face down, very uncomfortable, but doable. My arms were held out in front of me. My chest was elevated so that my boobs kind of hung down in a thing. When they put the stuff in me, thru the iv, it made me feel weird, but, it only lasted a few minutes, maybe seconds. You have to lay perfectly still. The machine is very noisy. Also, the techs keep talking to you thru headphones and you can listen to music if you want. Hope that helps you! I took a nerve pill beforehand to help me to relax. Good luck!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

My MRI took probably an
    My MRI took probably an hour. And, they put an iv in me and I was laying face down, very uncomfortable, but doable. My arms were held out in front of me. My chest was elevated so that my boobs kind of hung down in a thing. When they put the stuff in me, thru the iv, it made me feel weird, but, it only lasted a few minutes, maybe seconds. You have to lay perfectly still. The machine is very noisy. Also, the techs keep talking to you thru headphones and you can listen to music if you want. Hope that helps you! I took a nerve pill beforehand to help me to relax. Good luck!

I had the MRI, my experiance
    I had the MRI, my experiance was the same as Noel. Just don't move or you will make the test longer. There was no music for me, but I just kept still. If your doctor can give you something to relax that might help. Having said all this it is doable. Good Luck
  • Rae1017
    Rae1017 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I had the MRI, my experiance
    I had the MRI, my experiance was the same as Noel. Just don't move or you will make the test longer. There was no music for me, but I just kept still. If your doctor can give you something to relax that might help. Having said all this it is doable. Good Luck

Thanks all
    Thank you all. I feel so much better when I know what I am up against. I think I may ask for something to relax me. Isn't it funny that we can have kids and be super-women but the minute we see a needle, whoa!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Rae1017 said:

Thanks all
    Thank you all. I feel so much better when I know what I am up against. I think I may ask for something to relax me. Isn't it funny that we can have kids and be super-women but the minute we see a needle, whoa!

Glad you feel better Rae!
    Glad you feel better Rae! We just have so much thrown at us besides being told that we have bc, that it overwhelms us. Good luck to you and keep us updated!