Bullis packs for radiation

2»

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    dbs1673 said:

Had it
    I had the every other day bollis treatments. For me it was simply a warm moist towel. I used to call it my spa treatment in the morning. As you said , it is used to pull the radiation to the surface of the skin. While the covering gives you the feeling that you are being protected, it's actually the opposite so you may in fact have a bit more burning. I don't think I did but then again I had nothing to compare it to. Keep using the moisturizer, no deodorant or shaving. good luck!

Why?
    I wonder why it is used on some and not with others. Is it a shorter term of treatments? Why would they want to make the radiation more concentrated? I guess I don't understand. But, good luck to you!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Kylez said:

Why?
    I wonder why it is used on some and not with others. Is it a shorter term of treatments? Why would they want to make the radiation more concentrated? I guess I don't understand. But, good luck to you!

Kylez
    Hi, I am not an expert, but hyperthermia, at least in my case, is being used because I need radiation in an area where organ damage is more of a risk. The hyperthermia beforehand allows less radiation to be used for greater impact. It is not available everywhere; but, at the same time, it is not experimental or a clinical trial. It's just not standard of care yet.

I would not worry about not getting that treatment. I think if you had needed it, your rad. onc. would have either given it to you or told you about the nearest facility offering it, I was not told about the treatment until it was realized that an area closer to my heart needed to be radiated.

Hope this helps some. The term is "bolus," and you can research hyperthermia with radiation. And, of course, I will be happy to tell you about it as I experience it. God willing, that will start next week or the following Monday.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Kylez said:

Why?

Kylez
    I will ask my radiologist this also. I imagine that the more aggressive your ca is the more concentrated the dosage. Also if you have areas of contour like in your arm-pit where they have taken so many nodes as in my case, it helps to "fool" the machine (my radiologist's term) into thinking the bulis is skin. hugs, jackie
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Kylez
    Hi, I am not an expert, but hyperthermia, at least in my case, is being used because I need radiation in an area where organ damage is more of a risk. The hyperthermia beforehand allows less radiation to be used for greater impact. It is not available everywhere; but, at the same time, it is not experimental or a clinical trial. It's just not standard of care yet.

I would not worry about not getting that treatment. I think if you had needed it, your rad. onc. would have either given it to you or told you about the nearest facility offering it, I was not told about the treatment until it was realized that an area closer to my heart needed to be radiated.

Hope this helps some. The term is "bolus," and you can research hyperthermia with radiation. And, of course, I will be happy to tell you about it as I experience it. God willing, that will start next week or the following Monday.

Hi Moopy
    I think your treatment is different than mine in that...mine only takes about 10 min. and they have the bulis running under warm water when I get there. Am I right that yours could take up to an hour..because they heat the area to a certain temp first? Just wondering.

Hope you and Joe and the pups are having a nice evening. I am packing my stuff tonight and leaving as soon as treatment is over tomorrow. I have to clean Jamie's room and get things ready for her even though she is meeting me in Billings Monday! can't wait
    love,
    Jackie
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    rjjj said:

Hi Moopy
    I think your treatment is different than mine in that...mine only takes about 10 min. and they have the bulis running under warm water when I get there. Am I right that yours could take up to an hour..because they heat the area to a certain temp first? Just wondering.

Hope you and Joe and the pups are having a nice evening. I am packing my stuff tonight and leaving as soon as treatment is over tomorrow. I have to clean Jamie's room and get things ready for her even though she is meeting me in Billings Monday! can't wait
    love,
    Jackie

Hi, Jackie
    I think you are right, Jackie: I remember now that the area will be heated to 104 degrees and be kept there. I guess it will take longer, then. My simulation next Wednesday is for 2 hours, and I was warned to take an OTC pain reliever beforehand as some complain of shoulder pain afterwards. I guess I haven't asked a lot of specific questions. I just want to get started.

You must be SO excited--Jamie will be with you in 4 days! Please tell her hello for me. I will be thinking of you two having a wonderful mother/daughter visit. Look out, Billings! The Schumacher girls are coming!
  • Kylez
    rjjj said:

Kylez
    I will ask my radiologist this also. I imagine that the more aggressive your ca is the more concentrated the dosage. Also if you have areas of contour like in your arm-pit where they have taken so many nodes as in my case, it helps to "fool" the machine (my radiologist's term) into thinking the bulis is skin. hugs, jackie

Thanks Jackie! I did read a
    Thanks Jackie! I did read a little about it on the internet, but, will wait to see what your radiologist says. I have just never heard of it. I just assumed that all radiation was basically the same, rads and boosters. Guess I learned something lol Thanks!
  • Kylez
    Moopy23 said:

Hi, Jackie
    I think you are right, Jackie: I remember now that the area will be heated to 104 degrees and be kept there. I guess it will take longer, then. My simulation next Wednesday is for 2 hours, and I was warned to take an OTC pain reliever beforehand as some complain of shoulder pain afterwards. I guess I haven't asked a lot of specific questions. I just want to get started.

You must be SO excited--Jamie will be with you in 4 days! Please tell her hello for me. I will be thinking of you two having a wonderful mother/daughter visit. Look out, Billings! The Schumacher girls are coming!

Yes, your arm will get tired
    Yes, your arm will get tired and your shoulder will be a lil sore. So, take something before you start the simulation. Your arm lays in a sling like thing, but, after awhile, it still hurts a little. And, you have to stay perfectly still. :( Good luck Moopy!