Question about stage 3 or 4 quality of daily lives

2»

Comments

• wicker_woman
    wicker_woman Member Posts: 19 Member
    looch969 said:

Information on Vanderbilt

Marilynn,

What treatment did you receive? Was it a clinical trial? I have stage IV Non Small Cell Lung Cancer both lungs with mets in right rib, shoulder & lower back.

Tomorrow will be my second round of chemo. I receive Carboplatin, Alimtra & Avastin. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tamie

Chemo
    Tamie,

I was given 8 rounds of Carboplatin and Taxol along with 34 rounds of radiation. It was not a clinical trial. I recieved chemo and rads in Atlanta and when the cancer returned I went to Vanderbilt looking for a clinical trial since I was told I was inoperable. At Vanderbilt they made their own diagnosis where they were able to resect the uppper and middle lobe of my right lung. I was very lucky to have my lung resected and have not had any major issues since. I do however have issues from radiation which we currently have under control.

My best to you in your journey to survival,
    Marilynn
  • cobra1122
    cobra1122 Member Posts: 244
    Everyone is different
    The effects of treatment hit everyone a little different, and then there is the depression.I am 49yrs old I suffer from Small cell and Non-small cell lung cancer and I am now terminal. I also have Altzheimers and Parkinsons, I have 45% of my heart working and I have suffered multiple strokes. But I look toward the positive in everything as in things could be worse and quitting is not an option. I am on Hospice, and suprise my medical staff on how positive I am. But I am an (X)Marine and don't know how to quit, I adapt, improvise, and overcome. The answer is positive attitude by me and my wife, we surround ourselves with positive and let go of the negative, even during chemo I kept on Volunteering at the hospital my wife works at, she is a occupational therapist. We have ups and downs thats normal, but we dust off and keep going. I was granted last month alittle more time by the Cardiaologist, whats left of my heart was in deep trouble , but he bought more time to spend with my family, grandchildren (5) and friends.
    Just try to keep a positive attitude and help him see this.

Our Prayers are with you and your Family

Dan & Margi Harmon
  • clsmith
    clsmith Member Posts: 76
    cobra1122 said:

Everyone is different
    The effects of treatment hit everyone a little different, and then there is the depression.I am 49yrs old I suffer from Small cell and Non-small cell lung cancer and I am now terminal. I also have Altzheimers and Parkinsons, I have 45% of my heart working and I have suffered multiple strokes. But I look toward the positive in everything as in things could be worse and quitting is not an option. I am on Hospice, and suprise my medical staff on how positive I am. But I am an (X)Marine and don't know how to quit, I adapt, improvise, and overcome. The answer is positive attitude by me and my wife, we surround ourselves with positive and let go of the negative, even during chemo I kept on Volunteering at the hospital my wife works at, she is a occupational therapist. We have ups and downs thats normal, but we dust off and keep going. I was granted last month alittle more time by the Cardiaologist, whats left of my heart was in deep trouble , but he bought more time to spend with my family, grandchildren (5) and friends.

Dan & Margi Harmon

Cobra
    You are truely an inspiration to me and everyone. You have been through so much and with such a great attitude. I have lung cancer stage 2. I was diagnosed sept 08 and had surgery and chemo. I am doing very well.

Tske care, and my thoughts are with you and your family. Come to the chat room sometime.

Cindy
  • cobra1122
    clsmith said:

Cobra
    You are truely an inspiration to me and everyone. You have been through so much and with such a great attitude. I have lung cancer stage 2. I was diagnosed sept 08 and had surgery and chemo. I am doing very well.

Tske care, and my thoughts are with you and your family. Come to the chat room sometime.

Cindy

Keep going
    That is very kinda of you to say Cindy, but my main goal is to get people to realize that this is not the end. Life dealt us a bad hand but we can keep going and make the very best we can if it. It sound as tho you are going in the right direction, just keep up the positive. Yea we are human and get down once in a while, but we have to pick ourselves up and dust off and keep going, the alternative is not aceptable. So, you go girl and our prayers are with you and your family as well as with everyone. I'm a (X) Marine and we never give up we adapt, improvise, and overcome...
  • MarykayUSMC
    MarykayUSMC Member Posts: 9
    Jager said:

Seems you are online, hope you read this soon
    it Seems neulastim is not available in the USA but I found a website in english that explain everything very clear so you can check the main ingredient of the formula and ask your doctor for a medication available in the US with same ingredient.

check this link please, very clear and illustrative.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/n/neulastim.htm

Cheers

Mario

Hi I am new to this site - I
    Hi I am new to this site - I have stageVI lung cancer that has moved into my liver. Only 49 and just found out May, 2009. I am getting chemo every three weeks. There is no cure for mine but chemo may shrink it to prolong life.
    Neulastim is available in the USA - I get a shot the day after every chemo. I don't have any systoms of the lung cancer or the chemo, so far. I do have side effects from the neulastim shot. I get body aches. My feet, knees and hips hurt most of the time. On the good side, my blood work is good every time--- so far my white cells are good.
  • MarykayUSMC
    MarykayUSMC Member Posts: 9
    cobra1122 said:

Everyone is different

Dan & Margi Harmon

Semper Fi
    I too am a "former" Marine - not (X) -once a Marine always a Marine.

Sorry to hear the negative- glad to hear you have a positive additude. Never retreat, just regroup. I have stageVI lung that has moved to my liver. Trying to stay strong and be the "one in a million" that may beat it. My husband and I met in the Marine Corps. Both my son's are Marines now and are home on humanitarian leave. Didn't want to get cancer of course, but it's keeping my boys from deploying right now.

I want to add you to my friend list - battle this together.
  • cobra1122

Semper Fi
    I too am a "former" Marine - not (X) -once a Marine always a Marine.

Sorry to hear the negative- glad to hear you have a positive additude. Never retreat, just regroup. I have stageVI lung that has moved to my liver. Trying to stay strong and be the "one in a million" that may beat it. My husband and I met in the Marine Corps. Both my son's are Marines now and are home on humanitarian leave. Didn't want to get cancer of course, but it's keeping my boys from deploying right now.

I want to add you to my friend list - battle this together.

Semper Fi Marine (X)=former not X
    Just keep up the fight regroup and attack, never let it get the best of you. With a positive attitude and your family behind you, you maybe that "one in a million". Your in our thought and always here for another Marine....

I added you to my friends list

SEMPER FI MARINE
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator