cancer treatment questions

Options
traci_j_c
traci_j_c Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer about 2 years ago. She had a mastectomy and they had to remove several lymp nodes. She did Chemo and we thought she was good.
She had a cyst under her eye on the inside. She had a biopsy on it last Friday. She got the results today. It is cancer and they said "it's breast tissue".
So now she will meet with an oncologist and see what treatment will be.

My question or request is this:
When she went through treatment before, she was on FMLA from work. Once she went back, a few months later they fired her.
So she is now without insurance. She didn't get another job because she is the primary care giver for my Grandmother who's health has gone down hill drastically.
Does anyone have any idea where she can get financial assistance for her treatment? She is in her early 50's so she doesn't qualify for Medicare or whatever.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    I really don't know for
    I really don't know for sure, but, contact the American Cancer Society. I know they have helped some on here, or, can put you in touch with someone. Also, on the Susan B. Komen site, I think there is something on there. Good luck!
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Komen
    I would try the Susan G. Komen center that serves your area. If this is a breast cancer reoccurance they may be able to help her. And try the American Cancer Society. Both of them may know of programs in your area.

Good Luck!

Maureen
  • traci_j_c
    traci_j_c Member Posts: 2
    Options

Komen
    I would try the Susan G. Komen center that serves your area. If this is a breast cancer reoccurance they may be able to help her. And try the American Cancer Society. Both of them may know of programs in your area.

Good Luck!

Maureen

thanks
    I appreciate you responding so fast, both of you!!

Ya know, this particular aunt is on my mom's side.
    On my dad's side, my sister and I are the only females left. All others have had cervical, uterine, and breast cancer. So this cancer thing isn't all that new to me, of course that would be different if it were me that was diagnosed. I can't imagine how hard it is! I have HPV so I have had surgery on my cervix to remove pre cancerous cells that were further advanced that just having my cervix frozen. That was super scary!
    Now for the past 5 years, I have had a pap every 6 months. I began mammo's at 26 years old, I am 29 now. I have them yearly because of family history.

This whole cancer thing, I tell ya!!

Hope all is well with you!
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    traci_j_c said:

thanks

On my dad's side, my sister and I are the only females left. All others have had cervical, uterine, and breast cancer. So this cancer thing isn't all that new to me, of course that would be different if it were me that was diagnosed. I can't imagine how hard it is! I have HPV so I have had surgery on my cervix to remove pre cancerous cells that were further advanced that just having my cervix frozen. That was super scary!
    Now for the past 5 years, I have had a pap every 6 months. I began mammo's at 26 years old, I am 29 now. I have them yearly because of family history.

I was just dx with cancer,
    I was just dx with cancer, and my insurance was in limbo too. Tell her call her doctor and ask about any programs in the area that she can get into that will cover women cancer treatments in the area. My doctor referred me to a clinic that covers any thing having to do with prevention and treatment. And the process was fairly quick too. They've covered everything so far, from x-rays to biopsy and are referring me to a surgoen. My insurance has kicked in now, but I am still going to continue with them and then take the results to my doctor for more information, I'm hoping they will work with each other. Also her should apply for medical through the state you're in. There's got to be something out there for her to continue her treatment.
    Good luck
    Aurora
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    traci_j_c said:

thanks

Sorry about all of the
    Sorry about all of the cancer in your family Traci. The ACS and Susan B. Komen are great sites to help you out. And, I don't know if your Aunt would qualify for some sort of disability thru Social Security, but, you could try that. Wishing you good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I was just dx with cancer,
    I was just dx with cancer, and my insurance was in limbo too. Tell her call her doctor and ask about any programs in the area that she can get into that will cover women cancer treatments in the area. My doctor referred me to a clinic that covers any thing having to do with prevention and treatment. And the process was fairly quick too. They've covered everything so far, from x-rays to biopsy and are referring me to a surgoen. My insurance has kicked in now, but I am still going to continue with them and then take the results to my doctor for more information, I'm hoping they will work with each other. Also her should apply for medical through the state you're in. There's got to be something out there for her to continue her treatment.
    Good luck
    Aurora

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck to you!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions already posted...
    I can't think of anything to add regarding assistance for future medical care...

But, I am sorry for all the cancer in your family, and particularly now for your aunt.

I'll be hoping for the best, for her and for you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kayla1
    Kayla1 Member Posts: 101
    Options

All good suggestions already posted...
    I can't think of anything to add regarding assistance for future medical care...

But, I am sorry for all the cancer in your family, and particularly now for your aunt.

I'll be hoping for the best, for her and for you.

Kind regards, Susan

I do not know if this will
    I do not know if this will help but the FMLA is supposed to be job protection for the employee for up to 12 weeks a year and if more time is needed then it falls under long term disability. If it was more than 180 days then the employer can let you go. I would think long term disability from SS would apply.
    I hope your aunt finds help and I wish you both well!
    K
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    I copy and pasted this from the Patient Advocacy Site at ACS
    traci_j_c,
    Patient Advocate Foundation
    Personalized Assistance for Cancer Patients

The Patient Advocate Foundation offers help for patients who have been diagnosed with a chronic, life-threatening or debilitating disease and are having trouble with the healthcare system, which can include specific issues regarding insurance, job retention and/or debt. Patients who need the services provided by the Patient Advocate Foundation should call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345 to be quickly connected to professional case managers and attorneys, who specialize in mediation, negotiation, education, and advocacy. These specially trained case managers work directly with patients and families to help overcome barriers to care. All services are confidential and free to the patient.

Uninsurable risk programs: There are some states that provide special coverage for people who have a pre-existing condition (one you had before you applied for coverage) and do not qualify for individual health coverage. Your state's department of health insurance can give you more information about your state, or see the section "States that have health insurance risk pools."

Social Security Disability Income
    If you have been working for many years, you probably have contributed to Social Security. In this case, you may qualify for disability benefits. But you must meet Social Security's definition of disability, which is very strict. If you get turned down, appeal the decision. Some cases that were turned down the first time end up being approved after an appeal. When approved, benefits do not begin until the sixth full month of disability.
    Your income has nothing to do with whether or not you qualify for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI). To find out how to apply, call the Social Security Administration. (See the "Additional resources" section for phone numbers.)
    Also keep in mind that after getting SSDI for 24 months you become eligible for Medicare benefits.

Supplemental Security Income benefits
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is designed to supplement the income of an eligible person or family in which there is a disabled person. The family or the person must have a low income and limited assets. If you have not worked much or if your income was very low before you became unable to work, you may be eligible for SSI. To get SSI, your income and assets must fall below a certain level; you must be disabled, over 65, and/or blind. The amount you could get from SSI varies from state to state. If you do qualify, SSI pays you a monthly income that could be as much as $600 or more. Cost of living increases are given yearly. You can get more information about SSI from the team social worker or from the nearest Social Security Administration office listed in the U.S. Government section of the telephone book. See "Additional resources" for more information.

Good luck,
    dmc
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

I copy and pasted this from the Patient Advocacy Site at ACS
    traci_j_c,
    Patient Advocate Foundation
    Personalized Assistance for Cancer Patients

The Patient Advocate Foundation offers help for patients who have been diagnosed with a chronic, life-threatening or debilitating disease and are having trouble with the healthcare system, which can include specific issues regarding insurance, job retention and/or debt. Patients who need the services provided by the Patient Advocate Foundation should call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345 to be quickly connected to professional case managers and attorneys, who specialize in mediation, negotiation, education, and advocacy. These specially trained case managers work directly with patients and families to help overcome barriers to care. All services are confidential and free to the patient.

Uninsurable risk programs: There are some states that provide special coverage for people who have a pre-existing condition (one you had before you applied for coverage) and do not qualify for individual health coverage. Your state's department of health insurance can give you more information about your state, or see the section "States that have health insurance risk pools."

Social Security Disability Income
    If you have been working for many years, you probably have contributed to Social Security. In this case, you may qualify for disability benefits. But you must meet Social Security's definition of disability, which is very strict. If you get turned down, appeal the decision. Some cases that were turned down the first time end up being approved after an appeal. When approved, benefits do not begin until the sixth full month of disability.
    Your income has nothing to do with whether or not you qualify for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI). To find out how to apply, call the Social Security Administration. (See the "Additional resources" section for phone numbers.)
    Also keep in mind that after getting SSDI for 24 months you become eligible for Medicare benefits.

Supplemental Security Income benefits
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is designed to supplement the income of an eligible person or family in which there is a disabled person. The family or the person must have a low income and limited assets. If you have not worked much or if your income was very low before you became unable to work, you may be eligible for SSI. To get SSI, your income and assets must fall below a certain level; you must be disabled, over 65, and/or blind. The amount you could get from SSI varies from state to state. If you do qualify, SSI pays you a monthly income that could be as much as $600 or more. Cost of living increases are given yearly. You can get more information about SSI from the team social worker or from the nearest Social Security Administration office listed in the U.S. Government section of the telephone book. See "Additional resources" for more information.

Good luck,
    dmc

Dmc's reply will help you a
    Dmc's reply will help you a lot. Wishing you good luck!