Options
2»

Comments

• MrsKirby
    MrsKirby Member Posts: 12
    Options
    inkblot said:

What you've shared is not
    What you've shared is not silly in the least. I must agree with Tasha though, Mrs Kirby. A spade being a spade, chemo is a poison and there's no getting round that one. During my chemo, I too had that taste and that feeling. I showered many times daily, actually. LOL Not that it helped a lot. Also on target with Tasha, the chemo can damage healthy cells as well as cancer cells. Thus the nausea, vomiting, taste buds out of kilter rendering our favorite dishes and drinks suddenly repulsive to us...
    perspiring, constipation, diarrhea, rashes, baldness, watering eyes, dry eyes, dry throats, too hot, too cold, you name it. It's the body's reaction to the insult of chemo. Natural and expected reactions, but I'm also in agreement on thanking goodness for the anti-nausea meds!

I found that once I got my attitude aligned with what I was doing and why I had chosen to do it, I fared pretty well. I made the decision to have chemo...no one forced me...and while I didn't want to have it at ALL costs, I was determined to get through it with the least cost possible. Emotionally as well as physically. So, I focused my energies into that goal. Evenso, I had my down times and as everyone else has suggested here, it's just part of the journey and this too shall pass. Occasional crying jags, feeling like staying in bed all day. It's all ok, as long as you can rebound. One way or another, it will pass, even if that means getting pharmaceutical help from your oncologist, seeing a therapist, spiritual leader...whatever it takes, is worth the effort and time invested, because this is your life and it need not come to a crawl, for chemo. Ideally, we want to live as well as possible during treatment...not just "get through it". There's a wealth of tips to be found here to help make you more comfortable...things people have used which worked well for them...such as certain mouth rinses to help keep the mouth from drying out overly, certain types of eye drops...the list is long, so don't hesitate to ask here anytime you need an idea or suggestion...just always be sure to run anything you want to try past your doctor first for approval.

Just a few months from now, chemo will be behind you and you will be floating on a cloud! Trust me. You're almost done with the A/C, so onward and upward! Pssst: Onward and upward is how we get to the cloud we walk on, after treatment is finished.

Hang in there and be good to yourself.

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink

Good advice ink
    Thank you for your comments and for making me lol! I will remember the onward and upwards idea, I really like that. You are right, I need to live right now and not just "get through this" which is what I was doing. Life is definitely too short to wish even a minute of it away and I vow to quit doing that...I am alive right now and I am glad!!! :0)
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    MrsKirby said:

You are all so wonderful
    Thank you to everyone for the uplifting comments and eye openers, just what I needed. Almost every reply struck some kind on cord, and I don't feel like such a baby any more. It helps so much just to know that I am not alone in this! And yes, my eyes have been watering like crazy, I cry at commercials, and I hear you about the sex drive!!!

I have taken a lot of the advice and am actually going shopping for a wig and to a Look Good Feel Better class tomorrow. I know both of those things will help, but underneath it all the best help is hearing from all of you. I also plan to ask my doctor about the Ativan because I hear that helps with sleeping as well (I wouldn't mind getting a good night's sleep).

Kim, your words are very encouraging and I thank you. I know in my heart that the Taxol/Herceptin will be easier and I am looking forward to it. I hope we get a positive answer to your question because I remember sex fondly and would love to think it will come back before the next year is over!! :0)

Hi!
    Although I would never

Hi!

Although I would never discourage someone from getting retail therapy, don't buy a wig until you go to the Look Good Feel Better class. They not only give you a ton of neat cosmetics, but a wig too if you need it. If you don't find anything that you like in the way of wigs at the class, THEN you can go shopping.

I agree with some of the others, maybe you need Ativan or even an antidepressant for a short time. Nothing wrong with needing a little help while you're undergoing all this "stuff". After all, this is probably the most stressful thing you'll ever face---so why not let pharmaceuticals also cure the problem they're causing (with chemo).

Enjoy the class!
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    MrsKirby said:

Good advice ink
    Thank you for your comments and for making me lol! I will remember the onward and upwards idea, I really like that. You are right, I need to live right now and not just "get through this" which is what I was doing. Life is definitely too short to wish even a minute of it away and I vow to quit doing that...I am alive right now and I am glad!!! :0)

Also with the wig, most
    Also with the wig, most insurances will pay at least some of the cost. Find out what the cap is. Mine paid up to $350 and also find out which places they reimburse. THe place I looked at wigs did not take my insurance. Also take the wig to your hairdresser and have her style it for you it makes a big difference. TO be honest I never wear my wig, always wear scarves and now that it is warm and my kids are better with it I don't wear anything in the house. THere are lots of websites that sell hats and scarves.
    Kim