Arimidex

Options
2»

Comments

• cherrera
    cherrera Member Posts: 3
    Options

friend is doing well
    Hi blaircoff. I have a friend who is on Arimidex and says she is not experiencing any side effects. She started off on tamox. but had to change over to arimidex because she tested post menapausal. I wanted to know because I am getting ready to try Femara, another postmen. med.
    Wish you well on your decision. I have been struggling with this decision as well.

Arimidex
    I took Tamoxifen for one year after chemotherapy (from June 2008 to June 2009). I then tested post-menopausal. I was switched to Arimidex and Lupron injection. I had a very emotional/depressive reaction to the Arimidex. I spoke to my oncologist's office and told them I want to discontinue oral chemo treatment. They encouraged me to stay on Tamoxifen until I could get in to see the oncologist in August.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    cherrera said:

Arimidex
    I took Tamoxifen for one year after chemotherapy (from June 2008 to June 2009). I then tested post-menopausal. I was switched to Arimidex and Lupron injection. I had a very emotional/depressive reaction to the Arimidex. I spoke to my oncologist's office and told them I want to discontinue oral chemo treatment. They encouraged me to stay on Tamoxifen until I could get in to see the oncologist in August.

Side effects
    Tamoxifen may only test half as good as the aromatase inhibitors when it comes to survival and reoccurance, but it was the gold standard for years and years because it is twice as good at preventing reoccurance and extending survival as doing nothing. To figure how much you need it you need to know how likely cancer is to reoccur for you. If your probability for reoccurance is 30% over the next 5 years, then tamoxifen reduces that to 15%. Arimidex would reduce it to 7.5%. But if your quality of life is zero on the arimidex, then that extra success at preventing cancer really isn't worth much. I had achy feet on the aromatase inhibitor exemestane. My nurse practioner at the oncology clinic had me tested for vitamin D deficiency. I was sure I couldn't be deficient since I drank 4 glasses of milk each day with D, took a calcium supplement AND a mult with D. Guess what? I was low enough to need a prescription vitamin D (29 and below on the scale they used needed prescription D). Within a week of taking the D my feet started getting better. Now I am on the over-the-counter gel tabs with D3 (1000 units each) from the health food store. Whenever my feet start up aching, I know to double the dose. They don't stop the hot flashes, but my feet do feel okay again. As for the hot flashes, my family is getting used to being blasted by the AC in the car or me flipping a jacket on or off as I turn various colors. I don't really mind them as I know that having the hot flashes mean that my estrogen level really has gotten lower. That means less cancer risk and that's good. I digress. If you haven't gotten your vitamin D level checked, insist on it even if you go off the arimidex! Low D is associated with cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and various other inflamation-related diseases and conditions. They don't know if it starts these problems but they certainly aren't something to ignore.The research is young but interesting. Heart disease is also an inflamation related disease, but I haven't seen that one mentioned yet. While too much vitamin D can cause problems, it isn't highly likely to happen especially if you stick with 2000 units a day or less. But ask your doctor so that he can get you tested and find out what is ideal for you. It might just make the quality of your life better.

Lupron is an injection to lower estrogen to post-menapausal levels when your ovaries are still functioning. You don't need Lupron if you are already post-menapausal. A blood test can decide this and it looks like you were tested. Maybe dropping the Lupron, checking the vitamin D, just might make it possible for you to stay on the arimidex. If not, consider the tamoxifen.

C. Abbott
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    cabbott said:

Side effects
    Tamoxifen may only test half as good as the aromatase inhibitors when it comes to survival and reoccurance, but it was the gold standard for years and years because it is twice as good at preventing reoccurance and extending survival as doing nothing. To figure how much you need it you need to know how likely cancer is to reoccur for you. If your probability for reoccurance is 30% over the next 5 years, then tamoxifen reduces that to 15%. Arimidex would reduce it to 7.5%. But if your quality of life is zero on the arimidex, then that extra success at preventing cancer really isn't worth much. I had achy feet on the aromatase inhibitor exemestane. My nurse practioner at the oncology clinic had me tested for vitamin D deficiency. I was sure I couldn't be deficient since I drank 4 glasses of milk each day with D, took a calcium supplement AND a mult with D. Guess what? I was low enough to need a prescription vitamin D (29 and below on the scale they used needed prescription D). Within a week of taking the D my feet started getting better. Now I am on the over-the-counter gel tabs with D3 (1000 units each) from the health food store. Whenever my feet start up aching, I know to double the dose. They don't stop the hot flashes, but my feet do feel okay again. As for the hot flashes, my family is getting used to being blasted by the AC in the car or me flipping a jacket on or off as I turn various colors. I don't really mind them as I know that having the hot flashes mean that my estrogen level really has gotten lower. That means less cancer risk and that's good. I digress. If you haven't gotten your vitamin D level checked, insist on it even if you go off the arimidex! Low D is associated with cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and various other inflamation-related diseases and conditions. They don't know if it starts these problems but they certainly aren't something to ignore.The research is young but interesting. Heart disease is also an inflamation related disease, but I haven't seen that one mentioned yet. While too much vitamin D can cause problems, it isn't highly likely to happen especially if you stick with 2000 units a day or less. But ask your doctor so that he can get you tested and find out what is ideal for you. It might just make the quality of your life better.

Lupron is an injection to lower estrogen to post-menapausal levels when your ovaries are still functioning. You don't need Lupron if you are already post-menapausal. A blood test can decide this and it looks like you were tested. Maybe dropping the Lupron, checking the vitamin D, just might make it possible for you to stay on the arimidex. If not, consider the tamoxifen.

C. Abbott

Informative
    C.Abbott, You are always so clear, informative and logical in how you present your posts. The information you share is always valuable. Thank you for taking the time to share what you know. Lynn