Diagnosed April 29, 2009

Options
Kayla1
Kayla1 Member Posts: 101
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed April 29, 2009 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 2.5 cm
First surgery May 13 - Lumpectomy with sentinel lymphnodes, Lymphnodes clean but margins not. Second surgery June 1
June 5 - Clean margins - Yeah, Yippee!!!!
I am 48 and having all the treatments - chemo, radiation, & hormone therapy

Date with Onc today.. Chemo to start June 18
Cytoxan & Taxotere 1 dose every 3 weeks, total 4 doses
Pre-meds: Decadron, Benadryl, & Zofran, after treatment decadron & Zofran

Anyone have this type of chemo? I know everyone is different but I really need to talk with people who have gone thru this. This has not touched my family or friends and I know they mean well but sometimes too many questions I do not have answers or will question my decisions.

Please help!
K

Comments

• confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi Kayla
    I am not sure if

Hi Kayla
    I am not sure if Taxotere is the same as Taxol. I did Cytoxin with Adriamycin. The Cytoxin can cause naseau. I did Taxol after the AC chemo. I took decadron and zofran and I was still naseaus so they put me on Emend which helped a little more. I did not want to take Benadry because it makes you drowsy so I asked for Claritin and they gave it to me instead. Sometimes the side effects of chemo affect people the next day and for others it takes a few days and then you feel them. If Taxotere is like Taxol it caused bone pain for me the first time but not the next three. Good Luck and if your body tells you to rest you should listen.
    Hope you feel well theough it all. I know some people who did not get sick at all. If you do then tell the doc right away, they can always change meds to make you feel better.
    Kim
  • Kayla1
    Options

Hi Kayla
    I am not sure if

Hi Kayla
    I am not sure if Taxotere is the same as Taxol. I did Cytoxin with Adriamycin. The Cytoxin can cause naseau. I did Taxol after the AC chemo. I took decadron and zofran and I was still naseaus so they put me on Emend which helped a little more. I did not want to take Benadry because it makes you drowsy so I asked for Claritin and they gave it to me instead. Sometimes the side effects of chemo affect people the next day and for others it takes a few days and then you feel them. If Taxotere is like Taxol it caused bone pain for me the first time but not the next three. Good Luck and if your body tells you to rest you should listen.
    Hope you feel well theough it all. I know some people who did not get sick at all. If you do then tell the doc right away, they can always change meds to make you feel better.
    Kim

Hi Kim,
    I am trying to find

Hi Kim,
    I am trying to find out about the combination but have not found online yet. Thank you for the info on Claritin because I know that Benadryl makes me drowsy.
    I have to tell you that I have been reading the different postings for about a week and was brought to tears many times on how wonderful you all are, so helpful, and caring! I also was able to ask my dr. questions that I would never have known to ask to help prepare myself for next week.
    Thank you again,
    K
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kayla1 said:

Hi Kim,
    I am trying to find

Hi Kim,
    I am trying to find out about the combination but have not found online yet. Thank you for the info on Claritin because I know that Benadryl makes me drowsy.
    I have to tell you that I have been reading the different postings for about a week and was brought to tears many times on how wonderful you all are, so helpful, and caring! I also was able to ask my dr. questions that I would never have known to ask to help prepare myself for next week.
    Thank you again,
    K

K
    I did FEC x3 and taxotare x 3 all 3 weeks apart. They have wonderful stuff so that you never feel sick, BUT remember to ask how long to take it for. My bottle said every 4 hours, so I did.....right up to the next treatment, I was hyperactive and climbing the walls........the nurse told me I should only have been taking it when nausea was a problem!........Jeesh I never had a nausea problem BECAUSE I was taking the pills every 4 hours! IS IT ME???????? LOL

I will be thinking of you, K...

Good Luck, Mine was real easy, I laughed and joked all the way through it....well up until my PICC failed and they had to start an IV....Last treatment.......

It really didn't hit me until after I had finished Chemo and Rads thst this stuff was actually happening to ME!
    We are with you........Good Luck.......Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxx
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Those are common drugs. I
    Those are common drugs. I was on 3 of them at different times. You can go to chemocare.com to look up specific drugs, all the different names, uses, and side effects. You should also write down all your questions and take them with you to the Dr. If you can take someone else with you to help you listen and write down answers it can be very useful. No doubt you will get more input from other survivors on this board.

Best wishes, seof.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    seof said:

Those are common drugs. I was on 3 of them at different times. You can go to chemocare.com to look up specific drugs, all the different names, uses, and side effects. You should also write down all your questions and take them with you to the Dr. If you can take someone else with you to help you listen and write down answers it can be very useful. No doubt you will get more input from other survivors on this board.

Best wishes, seof.

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I wanted to welcome you here, and, to wish you good luck. I am sure you will find lots of survivors that will help you here.
  • Kayla1
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

K
    I did FEC x3 and taxotare x 3 all 3 weeks apart. They have wonderful stuff so that you never feel sick, BUT remember to ask how long to take it for. My bottle said every 4 hours, so I did.....right up to the next treatment, I was hyperactive and climbing the walls........the nurse told me I should only have been taking it when nausea was a problem!........Jeesh I never had a nausea problem BECAUSE I was taking the pills every 4 hours! IS IT ME???????? LOL

I will be thinking of you, K...

Good Luck, Mine was real easy, I laughed and joked all the way through it....well up until my PICC failed and they had to start an IV....Last treatment.......

It really didn't hit me until after I had finished Chemo and Rads thst this stuff was actually happening to ME!
    We are with you........Good Luck.......Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the tip on meds,
    Thanks for the tip on meds, I will be sure to ask for details and write them down. My head is so full and spinning!
    I will joke with everyone to keep my spirits up but inside I'm a mess.
    I work in an office and get to talk all day about everything but me! I hope I can work as much as possible thru this, I know it makes a big difference. I only work Mond. - Thurs. and my treatments will be on Thurs late day.

Thanks for the hugs & support.
    K
  • Kayla1
    Options
    seof said:

Best wishes, seof.

I checked out the site,
    I checked out the site, thank you! I had my daughter on speaker phone with me yesterday because she was heading to work and could not stay for the appt. The dr. & nurse thought it was great!
    K
  • Kayla1
    Options
    Noel said:

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I wanted to welcome you here, and, to wish you good luck. I am sure you will find lots of survivors that will help you here.

Thank you Noel, I look
    Thank you Noel, I look forward to meeting all of you thru this site! Must go and get ready for work.
    Love dancing kitty were did you find?
    K
  • tcteach
    tcteach Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Same timing...
    Kayla, I was diagnosed just before you on 4/23, had lumpectomy 5/8. I am scheduled for chemo (A/C, then Taxol) on 6/17. But, I am waiting for results of the Oncotype test to be certain I need chemo. Supposed to come in tomorrow. My nerves are shot to hell, so I have been gulping Ativan just to get through the day. It's frustrating to not know anything. You are in my thoughts...

Tricia:)
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kayla
    I had those same drugs along with a third one. The side effects for me were nausea (2 treatments only), fatigue (got worse, but a few of them were a breeze), mouth sores (learned to manage and eliminate them), bone pain (lasted only one day per cycle and mostly a result of the Nuelasta shot), and gastrointestinal problems (mostly went away after the first few treatments). I had Emend and Benadryl as pre-meds and more Emend and Zofran for after treatment. Seemed to mostly do the trick. It's not fun, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either. I had six treatments in total and the fifth was, by far, the worst. So, maybe it won't hit as hard with 4 treatments. Here's hoping. Oh, and hair loss. Yes, that is usually unavoidable. But it's been two months since my last treatment and my hair is fast growing back. You will get through this.

Mimi
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Options
    K
    No I am sorry I don't I wish I could help..but I am sure that you will find some one here who can help...

Julie
  • Kayla1
    Options
    tcteach said:

Same timing...
    Kayla, I was diagnosed just before you on 4/23, had lumpectomy 5/8. I am scheduled for chemo (A/C, then Taxol) on 6/17. But, I am waiting for results of the Oncotype test to be certain I need chemo. Supposed to come in tomorrow. My nerves are shot to hell, so I have been gulping Ativan just to get through the day. It's frustrating to not know anything. You are in my thoughts...

Tricia:)

Same timing
    Hi Tricia,
    Wow, we are just about on the same schedule. I was told because of the type and size of my tumor, and my young age all the treatments were necessary to give me a lower risk of recurrence. I know how you feel about the nerves being shot, I'm taking lorazepam at night and it let's me sleep for at least 8 hours. I can't take anything during the day so I can work. It's my great distraction!
    As long as I can get a good nights rest I can handle things better. The waiting for test results to tell me I do not have to have anymore surgery was the worst!!
    I was in shock last night at how quickly they are moving with me but after talking with my husband we both decided it is probably the best so I do not have to get myself worked up about the unknown and just get to it.. the road to recovery!
    You are in my thoughts and prayers too!
    K
  • Kayla1
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Kayla
    I had those same drugs along with a third one. The side effects for me were nausea (2 treatments only), fatigue (got worse, but a few of them were a breeze), mouth sores (learned to manage and eliminate them), bone pain (lasted only one day per cycle and mostly a result of the Nuelasta shot), and gastrointestinal problems (mostly went away after the first few treatments). I had Emend and Benadryl as pre-meds and more Emend and Zofran for after treatment. Seemed to mostly do the trick. It's not fun, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either. I had six treatments in total and the fifth was, by far, the worst. So, maybe it won't hit as hard with 4 treatments. Here's hoping. Oh, and hair loss. Yes, that is usually unavoidable. But it's been two months since my last treatment and my hair is fast growing back. You will get through this.

Mimi

Hi Mimi,
    Thank you so much

Hi Mimi,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, the more I know and can prepare the less worrying I will do. My daughter is getting married on July 12 and I have so much to look forward to that getting sick from worrying is just not allowed.
    I have a wonderful Nurse that I saw today that put me intouch with a women's healthcare boutique and I already have an appointment Monday night to have a wig made for me for the wedding. How can I not be excited about that!! The feel good feel better program too!
    My boss at work and family have told me they can't believe how well I'm taking this and can't understand how I can joke and laugh so much, they think I'm hiding it from them.
    It may not have really hit me yet or I have chosen to take what come my way and trust in the medical people to make me well and get on with living! I like the thoughts of the latter so I'm going with that right now :)

Your picture looks like you are on vacation on some kind of beach? The beach is my most favorate place in the world! I live on the east coast but in the country so the beaches are about 1 1/2 hours drive. I still get there as often as I can each summer.

Thank you for the encouragement!

K
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Kayla1 said:

Hi Mimi,
    Thank you so much

Hi Mimi,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, the more I know and can prepare the less worrying I will do. My daughter is getting married on July 12 and I have so much to look forward to that getting sick from worrying is just not allowed.
    I have a wonderful Nurse that I saw today that put me intouch with a women's healthcare boutique and I already have an appointment Monday night to have a wig made for me for the wedding. How can I not be excited about that!! The feel good feel better program too!
    My boss at work and family have told me they can't believe how well I'm taking this and can't understand how I can joke and laugh so much, they think I'm hiding it from them.
    It may not have really hit me yet or I have chosen to take what come my way and trust in the medical people to make me well and get on with living! I like the thoughts of the latter so I'm going with that right now :)

Your picture looks like you are on vacation on some kind of beach? The beach is my most favorate place in the world! I live on the east coast but in the country so the beaches are about 1 1/2 hours drive. I still get there as often as I can each summer.

Thank you for the encouragement!

K

I just want to wish you good
    I just want to wish you good luck Kayla. I didn't have chemo, so, I can't help you with any

information on that. Good luck!
  • tcteach
    Options
    Kayla1 said:

Same timing
    Hi Tricia,
    Wow, we are just about on the same schedule. I was told because of the type and size of my tumor, and my young age all the treatments were necessary to give me a lower risk of recurrence. I know how you feel about the nerves being shot, I'm taking lorazepam at night and it let's me sleep for at least 8 hours. I can't take anything during the day so I can work. It's my great distraction!
    As long as I can get a good nights rest I can handle things better. The waiting for test results to tell me I do not have to have anymore surgery was the worst!!
    I was in shock last night at how quickly they are moving with me but after talking with my husband we both decided it is probably the best so I do not have to get myself worked up about the unknown and just get to it.. the road to recovery!
    You are in my thoughts and prayers too!
    K

Just curious
    My surgeon had told me because of my age (43) and size of my tumor (2.5 cm), I would definitely have chemo. But, my oncologist wanted to have the Oncotype test just in case I would not be helped by chemo (i.e. low risk for recurrence). I am on the fence about it - on one hand, I don't want to go through the side effects of chemo, but on the other hand I don't want to be back in the same position in a few years!

I was floored by how quickly everything happened with me, too! I didn't even have time to think about everything. Now that I do (I'm a teacher and school is out for me), I am worrying all the time!

If you don't mind, what is your age and what size was your tumor? Just curious...I want to compare it to what my onco said about needing chemo.

Take care,
    Tricia
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Hi Kayla. I don't have to
    Hi Kayla. I don't have to take chemo, but, others will respond to you here. I just wanted

to say welcome to the site and to wish you good luck! Hugs, Leeza
  • Kayla1
    Options
    tcteach said:

Just curious
    My surgeon had told me because of my age (43) and size of my tumor (2.5 cm), I would definitely have chemo. But, my oncologist wanted to have the Oncotype test just in case I would not be helped by chemo (i.e. low risk for recurrence). I am on the fence about it - on one hand, I don't want to go through the side effects of chemo, but on the other hand I don't want to be back in the same position in a few years!

I was floored by how quickly everything happened with me, too! I didn't even have time to think about everything. Now that I do (I'm a teacher and school is out for me), I am worrying all the time!

If you don't mind, what is your age and what size was your tumor? Just curious...I want to compare it to what my onco said about needing chemo.

Take care,
    Tricia

Tricia,
    I am 48, I have

Tricia,
    I am 48, I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, tumor size 2.5cm, stage 11A, hormone positive.
    Right from the start my surgeon, oncologist, and radiologist said anything over 2cm with invasive cancer - definite chemo. Explained that even though my lymph nodes were clean it does not mean any seeds, as he calls them, did not pass thru.
    Good Enough For Me!!!
    I have no clue how the chemo is going to effect me but I know it will be only three or four months out of my life that I might be completely miserable. I have a wonderful husband who can cook & clean... How great is that!! My daughter is changing her work schedule so she can take me to all my appointments and my mother-in-law has been sending food three or four times a week.
    My mother died 4 1/2 years ago from a blood clot. I miss her dearly but I am getting plenty of hugs from others.

What type of BC do you have?

It is Friday and I now have today thru Sunday to try and find something to think about besides me. I know it will be hard!!! I love to read and I have a new book that I hope I can get into to take me away from all this for awhile.

What do you usually do when school is out for the summer?

Hugs & prayers from me,
    K
  • tcteach
    Options
    Kayla1 said:

Tricia,
    I am 48, I have

Tricia,
    I am 48, I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, tumor size 2.5cm, stage 11A, hormone positive.
    Right from the start my surgeon, oncologist, and radiologist said anything over 2cm with invasive cancer - definite chemo. Explained that even though my lymph nodes were clean it does not mean any seeds, as he calls them, did not pass thru.
    Good Enough For Me!!!
    I have no clue how the chemo is going to effect me but I know it will be only three or four months out of my life that I might be completely miserable. I have a wonderful husband who can cook & clean... How great is that!! My daughter is changing her work schedule so she can take me to all my appointments and my mother-in-law has been sending food three or four times a week.
    My mother died 4 1/2 years ago from a blood clot. I miss her dearly but I am getting plenty of hugs from others.

What type of BC do you have?

It is Friday and I now have today thru Sunday to try and find something to think about besides me. I know it will be hard!!! I love to read and I have a new book that I hope I can get into to take me away from all this for awhile.

What do you usually do when school is out for the summer?

Hugs & prayers from me,
    K

Same again!
    Kayla,

We have a lot in common...same stage, same size, same everything. My doctor wanted the precaution of the Oncotype test and I just wanted to treat it agressively because of the size and my age. Well, today the results were due and it turns out that the sample the pathologist sent to the lab was "bad" so I will be starting chemo on Wednesday. I am relieved to tell the truth, but scared like you.

Tonight was Relay for Life in our area and I ran into an old school friend with Stage 3b breast cancer. She is just finishing up radiation. She said the beginning of chemo is rough, but to take your anti nausea meds as much as you can. Her second stage of chemo was Taxol, which will be mine too - she said it was a breeze. Its pretty nervewracking to think about all the side effects, isn't it?

I am single, so my support system is my mom and sister - they come with me to every appointment. I feel very, very blessed.

I wish you the very best of luck this week. If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me at tcoulter44@comcast.net

Tricia
  • Kayla1
    Options
    tcteach said:

Same again!
    Kayla,

We have a lot in common...same stage, same size, same everything. My doctor wanted the precaution of the Oncotype test and I just wanted to treat it agressively because of the size and my age. Well, today the results were due and it turns out that the sample the pathologist sent to the lab was "bad" so I will be starting chemo on Wednesday. I am relieved to tell the truth, but scared like you.

Tonight was Relay for Life in our area and I ran into an old school friend with Stage 3b breast cancer. She is just finishing up radiation. She said the beginning of chemo is rough, but to take your anti nausea meds as much as you can. Her second stage of chemo was Taxol, which will be mine too - she said it was a breeze. Its pretty nervewracking to think about all the side effects, isn't it?

I am single, so my support system is my mom and sister - they come with me to every appointment. I feel very, very blessed.

I wish you the very best of luck this week. If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me at tcoulter44@comcast.net

Tricia

Tricia,
    My medical team met

Tricia,
    My medical team met with other specialist in their field to give me my second and third opinion before even meeting me and then told me that they were going to treat this very agressively. That scared the crap out of me then made me feel wonderful.. I was going to get the best care possible to beat this ugly beast!
    You are truly blessed because there is nothing like a Mother's Love!
    I lost my Mother 4 1/2 years ago and I start to blubber every time I think of her.. I miss her dearly and need her loving arms around me right now! The only sister I have close by has not even come to see me, just a couple phone calls and e-mails. She is so self involved and thinks her divorce is the most important think in her life.
    Best of luck next Wednesday!
    Please also feel free to contact me at rmirandac2@aol.com
    Love, Hugs, & Prayers,
    K
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Hi Kayla. I don't have to
    Hi Kayla. I don't have to take chemo, but, others will respond to you here. I just wanted

to say welcome to the site and to wish you good luck! Hugs, Leeza

Hi Kayla.. just wanted to
    Hi Kayla.. just wanted to welcome you to the group.. I'm sorry your here but glad you found these amazing people... I don't know if I'll have to have chemo yet.. still waiting for test results from lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.. we will see... but hang in there and I know that you will get through this.. a few bumps here and there I'm sure but well make it to the other side..

My best to you!

~T