Armpits and Deodorant

Options
jikaras
jikaras Member Posts: 58
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi - I don't know if anyone has had this problem crop up or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I had non-invastive DCIS and had surgery in January 2009. I had a double mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy on the lymph nodes. 11 taken from the right side and 6 from the left. Reconstruction was done in May of this year. I did not have any chemo or radiation.

I'm feeling pretty good, but I have issues with my left armpit. It seems like no deodorants are working. I have gotten the clinical strength deodorants and those help, somewhat. I tried the non-alumimum deodorants from the hospital - that was horrible!

Does anyone have a suggestion or did this happen to you?

Thanks for listening.....Jill

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Deodorant
    Hi Jill.....Don't know if this will help, but in some of the literature that I have been given, it says you can wipe the underarm area with alcohol on a cottom pad......as long as your incisions are completely HEALED..I'm not there yet.....had a lumpectomy and 3 nodes removed three weeks ago..........start my first chemo next monday...

Nancy
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Options
    MAJW said:

Deodorant
    Hi Jill.....Don't know if this will help, but in some of the literature that I have been given, it says you can wipe the underarm area with alcohol on a cottom pad......as long as your incisions are completely HEALED..I'm not there yet.....had a lumpectomy and 3 nodes removed three weeks ago..........start my first chemo next monday...

Nancy

Thanks Nancy - I'll try
    Thanks Nancy - I'll try anything! I'll wait till the weekend, as I wouldn't want to offend any of my co-workers!

Good luck to you.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    jikaras said:

Thanks Nancy - I'll try
    Thanks Nancy - I'll try anything! I'll wait till the weekend, as I wouldn't want to offend any of my co-workers!

Good luck to you.

Crystal
    I found a product called Crystal which had the pink ribbon on it...It's free of everything nasty, hell it's almost pure water, but it works.

Shoppers drug mart.

Hope this helps.......Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    As long as we are on the subject..........
    As long as we are talking about deodorants, my underarm, where they took all of the lymph nodes (surgery was last August)is still pretty numb, but sensitive too, if that makes any sense. There is also something of a small "crater" where the lymph nodes were removed.
    I have always used a solid deodorant, but it just kind of hurt to apply it. So then, I just tried using some baby powder, but figured with warm weather coming & all..........
    So I have been using a spray on deodorant. I know that it is not politically correct to use an aerosol, but it is sooo much easier! And it doesn't hurt to put it on.
    I don't think there is any health reason that I shouldn't use a spray on??

CR
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    CR1954 said:

As long as we are on the subject..........
    As long as we are talking about deodorants, my underarm, where they took all of the lymph nodes (surgery was last August)is still pretty numb, but sensitive too, if that makes any sense. There is also something of a small "crater" where the lymph nodes were removed.
    I have always used a solid deodorant, but it just kind of hurt to apply it. So then, I just tried using some baby powder, but figured with warm weather coming & all..........
    So I have been using a spray on deodorant. I know that it is not politically correct to use an aerosol, but it is sooo much easier! And it doesn't hurt to put it on.
    I don't think there is any health reason that I shouldn't use a spray on??

CR

Crystal
    Crystal is a squirt on, it works and you can use it straight after surgery........,
    Jxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Kalie
    Kalie Member Posts: 16
    Options
    My DCIS in both breasts were
    My DCIS in both breasts were contained and the lymph nodes were clean. But after the double mastectomy surgery my armpits stunk! I'd be in the restroom at work wiping down my armpits throughout the day with alchol. If I sweated, then my clothes had that awful smell. I tried the Crystal, but for me it did not take away the odor. I tried Degree Clinical Protection and that worked. Nothing worse than smelling your own offensive BO.

Glad to hear that others has had the same issue.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I am a little afraid to go
    I am a little afraid to go back to my regular antiperspirant since my rads onc stated that it could possibly be a contributing factor to bc. I am currantly using it on one side, but not the other. Just cornstarch - the stuff they gave me is awful!

I guess the OK stuff, Crystal and Tom's, are just deodorants, not antiperspirants. At least I won't stink, but....

What does everyone else use?
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Great post
    I was just wondering about this myself! Radiologist gave me what looks like a crystal ball. It doesn't seem to do much for sweating, but I don't have that awful smell like after surgery. Anyone else have any good tips for deoderant during radiation?
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Powder
    I was using Shower-to-Shower body powder, which always made me laugh when I thought about the amount of time between my pre-op shower and the one I'd finally be able to take once my mammosite brachytherapy tube came out THREE WEEKS later!

It worked but, then again, I wasn't active and back to my job yet. I'm now using my regular antiperspirant (Secret unscented), avoiding the node biopsy scar and haven't had a problem.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Cairmaid said:

Powder
    I was using Shower-to-Shower body powder, which always made me laugh when I thought about the amount of time between my pre-op shower and the one I'd finally be able to take once my mammosite brachytherapy tube came out THREE WEEKS later!

It worked but, then again, I wasn't active and back to my job yet. I'm now using my regular antiperspirant (Secret unscented), avoiding the node biopsy scar and haven't had a problem.

Maybe try
    Gold Bond Medicated Powder. It absorbs and mite help. I used it before I could use deodorant. My armpit where the Sentinel Node Biopsy was done also has numb spots and is sensitive too.

Judy :-)
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Corn starch
    Hi I used corn startch.It is messy but worked for me.I would call and ask my Dr.Good Luck. (Pat).
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Pitrok
    I recommend/use Pitrok http://www.pitrok.co.uk/ it comes in a solid crystal form or liquid spray. I didn't like the liquid spray but the crystal works great! I bought it when I was in England a few years ago and liked it so much (up to that point nothing had ever worked well on me) I reordered it online. Only problem is the shipping fees but as I cannot find anything comparable here...
  • Broodge45
    Broodge45 Member Posts: 4 *
    Options

I had a lumpectomy 5 years ago with sentinel node removal and then, after a recurrence 2 years ago, I had a second lumpectomy in the other breast with the same number of nodes removed. Interestingly, the armpit from the side of the first surgery has a terrible odor while the other remained normal! Also FYI, the hair never grew back in either.

I've used hand sanitizer and antiperspirant (I usually use deodorant) on the armpit with the odor to no avail...I am going to try the crystal suggested by Pitrok!

• Broodge45
    Options

I just tried to order this but it does not ship to the USA

• Dot53
    Options

Hi,

I still use this deodorant.. you can order it from Amazon as well...

Dot

• Broodge45
    Options
  • Dot53
    Options

I hope you like it... I think it's a good product, at least it has been for me!

Best wishes!

Dot