Tamoxifen

Options
TrishyG
TrishyG Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This weekend I finally worked up enough courage to take my Tamoxifen for the first time. I didn't spontaneously combust. so far I haven't had any nasty side effects. If one is going to have nasty side effects when do they start?

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    It Varies

Hi Trishy. It took me a long time to make a decision that I wanted to start the Tamoxifen, too. The only side effect that I had in the first few months was one or two hot flashes early (like the first week) in the treatment. After six months, I developed blood clots following an infected insect bite. Was it caused by the Tamoxifen? Who knows, but I was taken off of it after the blood clots were diagnosed. I've been tested and I do have the 'mutant' gene that increases the risk of blood clots, so that significantly increased my chances of devleloping them, in general.

I believe that it's good to try the medication and watch very carefully for side effects. If they are not life-threatening and you can tolerate them, it probably makes sense to continue the treatment. I would have...and maybe I wouldn't have had a recurrence nine years later.

But, it's important to make sure your doctor is aware of any problems that you are having. He/she will compare the risks from the side effects and potential 'rewards' of the treatment.

I wish you well.

Joyce
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    jk1952 said:

It Varies

Hi Trishy. It took me a long time to make a decision that I wanted to start the Tamoxifen, too. The only side effect that I had in the first few months was one or two hot flashes early (like the first week) in the treatment. After six months, I developed blood clots following an infected insect bite. Was it caused by the Tamoxifen? Who knows, but I was taken off of it after the blood clots were diagnosed. I've been tested and I do have the 'mutant' gene that increases the risk of blood clots, so that significantly increased my chances of devleloping them, in general.

I believe that it's good to try the medication and watch very carefully for side effects. If they are not life-threatening and you can tolerate them, it probably makes sense to continue the treatment. I would have...and maybe I wouldn't have had a recurrence nine years later.

But, it's important to make sure your doctor is aware of any problems that you are having. He/she will compare the risks from the side effects and potential 'rewards' of the treatment.

I wish you well.

Joyce

I wish you good luck on
    I wish you good luck on tamoxifen Trishy. I am not for sure if I will take it or not. I am scared of the side effects, and, I am not convinced that taking it is really worth it. It seems like a lot of women that took it still had a recurrence, according to the statistics. And, jk, I am sorry that you had a recurrence. I wish you the best in the future!
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I was like you too, i had to
    I was like you too, i had to get up the nerve to put the pill in my mouth. I've been on it for about a month & a half and the only side effect i have is frigging hot flashes. And i mean i be bursting into flames. I was tripping for nothing:-)

Love that tamox!

Babe
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

I was like you too, i had to
    I was like you too, i had to get up the nerve to put the pill in my mouth. I've been on it for about a month & a half and the only side effect i have is frigging hot flashes. And i mean i be bursting into flames. I was tripping for nothing:-)

Love that tamox!

Babe

Tamoxifen
    Immediately following chemo (just as I started radiation), my oncologist decided I should be on an AI (Femara) as a hormone inhibitor. I started it the same day I started radiation. Three months later, I looked like an 80 year old, trying to get up out of a chair, and to walk without a limp. My bones ached all the time, and pain in the joints was ridiculous. I discussed this with my onc, and he switched me to Tamoxifen. Already experiencing bad side effects from the AI, I was really hesitant to jump right back into something I was afraid of. It took me almost six weeks before I got up the nerve to start the Tamoxifen, and then I would only take 1/2 a tablet (10 mg). This was my beginning, and no side effects showed their ugly head. I have now gone to a full tablet (20 mg), and so far so good. Tamoxifen is less harsh on my body than the AI was, and I think I can tolerate it well. Some advantages also is that Tamoxifen is known to reduce cholesterol, and builds bones rather than deteriorate them. Not really had any hot flashes (already post menopausal), so we will see. If I were you, I would give it a try, and if you can't tolerate, then discuss with your oncologist. It is well worth the try just to give you the added protection. Hugs.

Judy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Tamoxifen
    Immediately following chemo (just as I started radiation), my oncologist decided I should be on an AI (Femara) as a hormone inhibitor. I started it the same day I started radiation. Three months later, I looked like an 80 year old, trying to get up out of a chair, and to walk without a limp. My bones ached all the time, and pain in the joints was ridiculous. I discussed this with my onc, and he switched me to Tamoxifen. Already experiencing bad side effects from the AI, I was really hesitant to jump right back into something I was afraid of. It took me almost six weeks before I got up the nerve to start the Tamoxifen, and then I would only take 1/2 a tablet (10 mg). This was my beginning, and no side effects showed their ugly head. I have now gone to a full tablet (20 mg), and so far so good. Tamoxifen is less harsh on my body than the AI was, and I think I can tolerate it well. Some advantages also is that Tamoxifen is known to reduce cholesterol, and builds bones rather than deteriorate them. Not really had any hot flashes (already post menopausal), so we will see. If I were you, I would give it a try, and if you can't tolerate, then discuss with your oncologist. It is well worth the try just to give you the added protection. Hugs.

Judy

Judy
    I hope that you do better on Tamoxifen. I am one of the ones that are

afraid of taking it because of the side effects, so, I am putting it off. ( maybe

permanently ) I hope that you do great on it! Hugs, Jeanne
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Judy
    I hope that you do better on Tamoxifen. I am one of the ones that are

afraid of taking it because of the side effects, so, I am putting it off. ( maybe

permanently ) I hope that you do great on it! Hugs, Jeanne

Jeanne, I definitely have
    Jeanne, I definitely have considered not taking anything, mainly because my body has been pumped full of drugs for so long that I just wanted a break. However, my family and mainly my husband really want me to at least try whatever is prescribed in order to give me a better chance against recurrence. However, it is our body, and the decision has to be ours alone. So far so good with the Tamoxifen, but I won't hesitate to drop everything if side effects start to develop. Thanks for the post. Hugs

Judy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you,
    Just wanted to wish you, Trishy, good luck on the tamoxifen. I hope you have no side effects. But, some say, if you don't, that it isn't working, but, who knows.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    I hope the tamoxifen does ok
    I hope the tamoxifen does ok with you. I am still in radiation, but, I am suppose to start it afterwords. I just don't know yet for myself. Luck to you!
    1517 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    tamoxifen
    Hi Trishy,
    I have to say that I'm one of the luckier ones. I've had side effects of HOT flashes, a little off balance once in awhile and mood swings, but since I can't say for sure it's that or my age! LOL -- any way -- you have to do what you think is best for you!! Talk to your DR. again.The only really bad thing for me were and still are the HOT flashes and I started it a year ago Jan.
    Hope all will go well for you!! God Bless
    Sharon
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    Options
    No side effects here!
    I've been taking Tamoxifen since I finished six weeks radiation in October 2008. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer in July 2008 at age 44. I had a lumpectomy and did not need chemo as the results of my Oncotype DX test was a low recurrence score. I was worried about side effects, especially the menopause like symptons. I'm too young for menopause and that was my major concern. Since starting Tamoxifen in October 2008, I've been lucky. No hot flashes and from what I understand if you have one you know it, some minor moodiness and minor leg cramping, otherwise no problems here.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck on tamoxifen Trishy! I hope you have no side effects with it and it only helps you!
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Tamoxifin
    The only thing I have noticed is slower hair growth- don't have to shave as often.
    Bill S
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Tamoxifin
    The only thing I have noticed is slower hair growth- don't have to shave as often.
    Bill S

Oh, that would be good! lol
    Oh, that would be good! lol Less shaving!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Oh, that would be good! lol
    Oh, that would be good! lol Less shaving!

Less shaving? That would be
    Less shaving? That would be good. How are you Bill? Never see you anymore.