I HATE CHEMO

2»

Comments

• ninetoes
    ninetoes Member Posts: 81

Hating Chemo
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't hate chemo, and if they have said it they are lying thru their teeth!!!! LOL

After my first round I told my onc if that was what I was going to feel like, she should just shoot me right then and there. I never thought I would make it, I had every side effect possible, plus I became allergic to it and had to have steroids. But I did it, and so will you. I won't lie and say it gets better because it doesn't, but when you are finished and you can say you're NED, it's the best feeling.Plus you can feel so proud of yourself.

When you're doing chemo, just keep thinking of that little pac-man eating away at the cancer. Like everyone has said, stay hydrated, rest when you feel you have too, and keep thinking positive. Good luck, I know you can do it.

Wendy

Thanks everyone. I'm going
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to talk to my onc and see what she can do. Maybe change my Anti-nausea meds or the chemo.

Thanks, it's good to know you guys are here.

Dave
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    ninetoes said:

Thanks everyone. I'm going
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to talk to my onc and see what she can do. Maybe change my Anti-nausea meds or the chemo.

Thanks, it's good to know you guys are here.

Dave

Have you tired
    The old ancient herbal remedy for nausea by any chance. There was a big post about it the other day. I do not know if you live in a state where medicinal marijuana is available but it really helps many people. Just a thought.
    -phil
    duh? I saw it was mentioned earlier.
    Not only does it work, it's kind of fun ;-)
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583

Hating Chemo
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't hate chemo, and if they have said it they are lying thru their teeth!!!! LOL

After my first round I told my onc if that was what I was going to feel like, she should just shoot me right then and there. I never thought I would make it, I had every side effect possible, plus I became allergic to it and had to have steroids. But I did it, and so will you. I won't lie and say it gets better because it doesn't, but when you are finished and you can say you're NED, it's the best feeling.Plus you can feel so proud of yourself.

When you're doing chemo, just keep thinking of that little pac-man eating away at the cancer. Like everyone has said, stay hydrated, rest when you feel you have too, and keep thinking positive. Good luck, I know you can do it.

Wendy

I don`t know what everyone
    I don`t know what everyone is talking about. I love chemo and look forward to every treatment. I jump for joy on the days I get infused and am so enthusiastic about leaving with the fanny pack that encases the toxic little buddy that will be coursing through my veins for two days. Most of all I enjoy the rash and acne from the erbitux i`m taking. I am so disappointed on the 2 days before my chemo when I almost feel normal. What a let down. I don`t understand why all of you are so down on chemo. I would do it even if I didn`t have cancer. What a kick! NOT!!!!!!!

I definitely sympathize along with everybody else. I say try anything that helps.

Your fellow cancer fighting soldier,
    Eric
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    eric38 said:

I don`t know what everyone
    I don`t know what everyone is talking about. I love chemo and look forward to every treatment. I jump for joy on the days I get infused and am so enthusiastic about leaving with the fanny pack that encases the toxic little buddy that will be coursing through my veins for two days. Most of all I enjoy the rash and acne from the erbitux i`m taking. I am so disappointed on the 2 days before my chemo when I almost feel normal. What a let down. I don`t understand why all of you are so down on chemo. I would do it even if I didn`t have cancer. What a kick! NOT!!!!!!!

I definitely sympathize along with everybody else. I say try anything that helps.

Your fellow cancer fighting soldier,
    Eric

Eric
    You are too funny. Don't you really wish that we could all take that attitude when it comes to getting our treatments? That would be one heck of a person.

Thanks for the great possibility that I might be one of those persons soon :)

Kim
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Eric
    You are too funny. Don't you really wish that we could all take that attitude when it comes to getting our treatments? That would be one heck of a person.

Thanks for the great possibility that I might be one of those persons soon :)

Kim

Good one Eric!
    ...You actually almost had me believing you, I was thinking "wow, he's a rare one" LOL...

Kim, don't say "might" say "I WILL BE ONE OF THOSE"...I keep trying to tell myself that as well, before I start thinking bad thoughts again lol..I have to stop that!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • mykidsmommy
    mykidsmommy Member Posts: 76
    lmliess said:

I feel your pain too!
    I just started Tuesday and Tuesday night I felt like I was wiped out. Headache and achy. Then Wednesday I was okay until late in the day the stomach cramps, then yesterday sick to my stomach and tired! I feel like a wimp because I am whiny about this and there are so many tough people out there.
    What bothered me the most yesterday was a WALMART commercial!!! There was a mom running through the sprinkler with her kids. I am home from work for a couple of more weeks and I wnat to do fun things with my 5 year old and I don't see that as an option right now. Therefore I feel like a bad mom because I can't do all those fun things right now. But I guess that is what I am fighting for. To beat this cancer and rid it from my body!

Just venting.......
    Linda

Memoirs from a Mommy
    I read your comment about wanting to run through the sprinklers, and I am here to tell you - YOU WILL! I am a mommy and two summers ago, I was going through my 12 rounds - I would hear my kids playing in the yard, laughing goofing of with my husband, and I wanted nothing more than to speed up that time so I could return to normal and be right out there with them. They were 8 and 3 at the time, and it the side effects were nothing compared to wanting to be mommy again for them. But you said it: this is what your working for right now, to fight and heal so you can get back to them on the way you were , and I am sitting here blessed to tell you that it works. I am two years out from chemo, and it is a distant memory for my kids, not for me, but for them a mere blip on the screen of life. Don't let the guilt get to you - rest and pray and get through - and give yourself some slack, to be sick. I will tell you , to this day, you will never find me relaxing on my bed - I sleep in in - and that's it - I even painted my room - all new - just needed a fresh look after many hours spent in there!
    Dave - I wish I could give you some magic idea or remedy to make it better so go by faster - but I can't just to tell you both that it will end, and you will have your lives back - and you will enjoy every non-chemo filled day - some more than others, but you will get there. I did make-up one trick, that I didn't know was a trick... I would tell myself that I was going to "quit" chemo early - as in not to all 12 rounds - others around me humored me, and let me believe that supported that potential, but then the week would come, and I would go - and I would get another one under my belt - and by kidding myself that I had 12 OPTIONAL rounds, I did them all. Only the last one did I put up a pretty good fight - protesting going in for the finale round - but that is when my husband pulled out the big guns and said he would drag me in - and my fiends said they would hire a stripper while I was in - I had to go for 48 hours sleep away camp-chemo. All the chemo drugs messed with my mind as well asmy body so I did freak out and consider flunking out - but whatever it takes to get you through. You too will see the end - and your children and friends and family will thank you for it!
    Hang in there - tomorrow is another day - to fight and heal.
  • eric38
    Shayenne said:

Good one Eric!
    ...You actually almost had me believing you, I was thinking "wow, he's a rare one" LOL...

Kim, don't say "might" say "I WILL BE ONE OF THOSE"...I keep trying to tell myself that as well, before I start thinking bad thoughts again lol..I have to stop that!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

We all know chemo and cancer
    We all know chemo and cancer sucks but sometimes you just gotta joke about it.

Eric
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    eric38 said:

We all know chemo and cancer
    We all know chemo and cancer sucks but sometimes you just gotta joke about it.

Eric

Eric I am....
    ...one of those who have a warped and sense of humor as well~ I make jokes about it to show my kids this can be done, and try not to act scared of it, but I will always laugh!

When I first got my dx, I was in the hospital for 5 days getting the procedueres, scans and tests done, and since I'm anemic, my iron was VERY low, so the 2 nurses came in to give me 2 units of blood for my blood transfusions, and they don't tell you anything about the donors, which is cool, but for a laugh I told the nurses "I was half-Italian, half-Irish, wish I Knew what the added blood's heritage was so I could tell people I'm more now, with the special blood" and said on the 2nd blood transfusion during my 2 hospitalization if they "made sure the blood was Italian" just to get a look on their faces when they thought I was going to be difficult, and only wanted Italian blood!!!....you had to see the look on those nurses faces, I scared the life out of them, but then I just busted laughing, and then when they saw I was kidding, they just cracked up laughing and mocking me, we had a blast...

It's what gets through the day, not only when I smile or laugh, but when I could put a smile or even a smirk on someone else!

Hugsss to you and keep bringing the cheer!
    ~Donna
  • eric38
    Shayenne said:

Eric I am....
    ...one of those who have a warped and sense of humor as well~ I make jokes about it to show my kids this can be done, and try not to act scared of it, but I will always laugh!

When I first got my dx, I was in the hospital for 5 days getting the procedueres, scans and tests done, and since I'm anemic, my iron was VERY low, so the 2 nurses came in to give me 2 units of blood for my blood transfusions, and they don't tell you anything about the donors, which is cool, but for a laugh I told the nurses "I was half-Italian, half-Irish, wish I Knew what the added blood's heritage was so I could tell people I'm more now, with the special blood" and said on the 2nd blood transfusion during my 2 hospitalization if they "made sure the blood was Italian" just to get a look on their faces when they thought I was going to be difficult, and only wanted Italian blood!!!....you had to see the look on those nurses faces, I scared the life out of them, but then I just busted laughing, and then when they saw I was kidding, they just cracked up laughing and mocking me, we had a blast...

It's what gets through the day, not only when I smile or laugh, but when I could put a smile or even a smirk on someone else!

Hugsss to you and keep bringing the cheer!
    ~Donna

I named my original tumor
    I named my original tumor Buttercup and have been on a web site where you can customize your own hats and tshirts. I am using it to make tshirts with amusing quips about cancer. On some of my chemo days I wear a shirt that says Cancer? whatever......
    I`ve gotten several comments from the nurses about it and my oncologist said he wanted a tshirt like mine.

Eric

p.s.
    Donna - Good luck with the italian blood thing. It`s hot and may boil at any minute.
  • Madelyn67
    Madelyn67 Member Posts: 8
    I hate chemo too
    I'm new here, but I was lurking around for a bit and I thought I would put my 2 cents in. LOL

I just had my 8th FOLFOX treatment last Thurday and it totally knocked me out! I slept for hours, every day until yesterday. I finally felt decent enough to go to the store today and they say as you go through more treatments the worse the fatigue gets. ICK!! It seems that after the steriods they give me during the infusion wears off, that's when I get drained.

I'm not sure if anyone covered this but I have a prescription for NEURONTIN 300mg (there is a generic brand also) and it TOTALLY helps with the side effects of eating and drinking cold foods. It helps with the tingling in the hands, but I think it works quicker with the eating and drinking. I found using a heating pad for about 2 minutes on my hands helps with the tingling/stinging problem.

I live in PA where there is no medical MJ, but they are trying to pass a bill to make the medical MJ legal, unfortunately that probably won't happen until AFTER I'm done with chemo and radiation, which doesn't help me now. DAMN THOSE POLITICIANS!!! Sometimes I wish I could go to the local PD and say "hey guys I know you got some good confiscated MJ, how about sharing for a good cause?" LOL