plastic surgeon from hell/what to do

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will describe this situation and ask the group: would you report this guy?

I have had many, many problems with my plastic surgeon which I won't even go into. Although technically he is brilliant (he did a great reconstruction job) this last thing is too much: he cancelled my nipple tattooing job three times! I think the first two were the day before, but this one (yesterday) was the same day: his office staff called me at 9:15 in the morning. I did not get the message and was already almost there (45 minutes away) anyway. When I arrived for the 10:00 a.m. appointment, they explained that the doctor had an emergency surgery and had to cancel. I could understand cancelling once, even twice, but not three times! I had to cancel my entire practice (I am in my own social work practice) and make special arrangements for my daughter's school. I have absolutely no confidence that if I reschedule, the fourth time will actually take place. I made some phone calls and am going to go elsewhere, but this really enraged me, especially since it is not so easy to find another doctor because most doctors don't want to finish work started by another plastic surgeon.

I said I wouldn't go into the other stuff this guy has done, but I guess I will: when I initially had my plastic surgery and reconstruction, he told me he wouldn't see me in the hospital after the surgery (he had his residents do it) because it upset him to see women in pain! Another time I was in pain and he refused to speak with me on the phone - he had his answering service call me back and just tell me to go to the emergency room. These are only a few of many, many things. What do you think?

Ohilly

Comments

• crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    sorry for your problems
    I am sorry for your problems. It sounds like this doctor has stretched himself too far, but what kind of doctor won't see a patient who is in pain.

I am not sure who you can report him to but at the hospital I go to they have a patient coordinator who you can call with problems so you may be able to call them and ask what to do.

It does sound like time for a new doctor.
    Good luck
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    I think...
    he's a twit! That's what I think.
  • FeistyTexasGal
    FeistyTexasGal Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Tattoo and Surgeon From Hell
    I empathize. After four visits where my doc basically hardly said a word to me, I set up a meeting and had a list of 22 questions that I demanded he answer. The first question was why was he treating me like a breast surgery instead of a real person. The last was why he didn't say a single word to my stepmom when she accompanied me there. He stuttered that he had said hi to her. I was livid that when he came to the hospital, he only said these words and nothing more: "Let's see how it looks. Okay, it looks good." Then he left the room. I yelled at him that he needed to work on his bedside manner. I insisted that he listen to me and explain everything to me and treat me as Karen and not as just another surgical procedure. His work is fantastic. I saw him yesterday before my first chemo, and when I left, he hugged me. His nurse said I had intimidated him and she had never seen him hug anyone before. Sometimes you just need to get in their face and make your personal demands.
    As for the tattooing, here in Austin, there are many superb tattoo artists who work for several of the oncology centers and for some of the plastic surgeons and hospitals. Call around to see if you can find out an artist's name and go somewhere else. leave a message at your doc's office that you are PISSED and absolutely will not be cancelled again. Put your foot down. Be the squeaky wheel.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

sorry for your problems
    I am sorry for your problems. It sounds like this doctor has stretched himself too far, but what kind of doctor won't see a patient who is in pain.

I am not sure who you can report him to but at the hospital I go to they have a patient coordinator who you can call with problems so you may be able to call them and ask what to do.

It does sound like time for a new doctor.
    Good luck

I am sorry Ohilly. That is
    I am sorry Ohilly. That is not very professional for any doctor, especially a doctor treating breast cancer patients. And, I cannot understand his problem with not wanting to be around or speak with a patient in pain. Makes no sense. I say speak up and be loud. Voice your concerns about him and the changing of your appointments. You deserve to be treated much better, and, if necessary, find a new doctor Ohilly.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Hmmm
    Ohilly, this is tough. On the one hand, he does good work. On the other, he wastes your time and is unavailable when you really need him. Because you are nearing the end of your reconstruction, I might just stick with him if you're really confident about his work. The other stuff is unacceptable, yes. Make sure to let the staff know that you had to cancel your entire practice and make special arrangements for your daughter. Ask them to let you know as soon as possible if there is to be a cancelation. When you reschedule, keep calling to confirm, one week out, one day out, the day of. Be persistent. Good luck. That's a lousy situation.

Mimi
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Doesn't sound very
    Doesn't sound very professional to me. Can't stand to see someone in pain? He is so in the wrong profession.
  • corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    plastic surgeon from hell
    my advice: get a new doctor.
    this guy sounds like a piece of work. what dr. will not see or talk to a patient in pain. isn't everyone in pain after surgery?
    and cancelling an appt. 3 times is very unprofessional.
    don't know who you'd report him too though.
    might just be better for your peace of mind to find someone new.
    good luck
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    corey50 said:

plastic surgeon from hell
    my advice: get a new doctor.
    this guy sounds like a piece of work. what dr. will not see or talk to a patient in pain. isn't everyone in pain after surgery?
    and cancelling an appt. 3 times is very unprofessional.
    don't know who you'd report him too though.
    might just be better for your peace of mind to find someone new.
    good luck

I can't believe he is a
    I can't believe he is a doctor. I would report him, if I were you. Good luck!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

Tattoo and Surgeon From Hell
    I empathize. After four visits where my doc basically hardly said a word to me, I set up a meeting and had a list of 22 questions that I demanded he answer. The first question was why was he treating me like a breast surgery instead of a real person. The last was why he didn't say a single word to my stepmom when she accompanied me there. He stuttered that he had said hi to her. I was livid that when he came to the hospital, he only said these words and nothing more: "Let's see how it looks. Okay, it looks good." Then he left the room. I yelled at him that he needed to work on his bedside manner. I insisted that he listen to me and explain everything to me and treat me as Karen and not as just another surgical procedure. His work is fantastic. I saw him yesterday before my first chemo, and when I left, he hugged me. His nurse said I had intimidated him and she had never seen him hug anyone before. Sometimes you just need to get in their face and make your personal demands.
    As for the tattooing, here in Austin, there are many superb tattoo artists who work for several of the oncology centers and for some of the plastic surgeons and hospitals. Call around to see if you can find out an artist's name and go somewhere else. leave a message at your doc's office that you are PISSED and absolutely will not be cancelled again. Put your foot down. Be the squeaky wheel.

Amen to that,
    Karen! This disease has taught me that you need to be your own advocate. And make yourself be seen as a human being,not just another breast cancer patient!
    Yeah,it seems like sometimes if they are good at what they do then they are very busy and rush because of it-but if you've got questions they need to take the time to answer them,that's one of your rights as a patient!
    And this doctor not knowing how to confront women in pain- please!!! Sounds like to me,he just doesn't want to bother...