Options
2»

Comments

• HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Hey Phyllis, my hair, too...
    I know about the possibility of 10 years but I'm not allowing myself to think about that possibility. I'm content fighting all these pitfalls of AI's for 4 more years. That's what will get me through. Oh, my hair has thinned on top, too. Yukko. But, like you, I'm wearing it in a style that "hides" the lack of hair. To take a quote that from that wonderful muscial, "life is like a fiddler on the roof." Hugs, Marilynn

Tamoxifen and Femara
    I just joined this discussion board so I am probably asking a question that has already been answered. I am a 5 year bc survivor. Yippee!! I have been taking Tamoxifen for those 5 years. Now the oncologist wants to put me on Femara. I chose to take nothing for 6 months just to see if the hot flashes go away. I have been trying to learn about Femara. I read the study. And I read some comments from women who had had bad experiences with Femara. Now I am a little hesitant to take it. I took the Tamoxifen with relatively few symptoms. Main problem has been the hot flashes I steadily got stronger after the chemo stopped. Now after 5 years I feel almost as good as new. Of course I am now 5 years older. But what about the Femara? If I had few symptoms with the Tamoxifen do you think I could expect few side effects with the Femara? I don't want to take cholesterol medicine. And I don't want joint stiffness or muscle spasms. But what are the alternatives? I want to "protect" myself as much as possible. I just visited the oncologist last week, so I am almost a week off the Tamoxifen. I am anxious to see if the hot flashes stop.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Tamoxifen and Femara
    I just joined this discussion board so I am probably asking a question that has already been answered. I am a 5 year bc survivor. Yippee!! I have been taking Tamoxifen for those 5 years. Now the oncologist wants to put me on Femara. I chose to take nothing for 6 months just to see if the hot flashes go away. I have been trying to learn about Femara. I read the study. And I read some comments from women who had had bad experiences with Femara. Now I am a little hesitant to take it. I took the Tamoxifen with relatively few symptoms. Main problem has been the hot flashes I steadily got stronger after the chemo stopped. Now after 5 years I feel almost as good as new. Of course I am now 5 years older. But what about the Femara? If I had few symptoms with the Tamoxifen do you think I could expect few side effects with the Femara? I don't want to take cholesterol medicine. And I don't want joint stiffness or muscle spasms. But what are the alternatives? I want to "protect" myself as much as possible. I just visited the oncologist last week, so I am almost a week off the Tamoxifen. I am anxious to see if the hot flashes stop.

Tamoxifen vs. Aromatase Inhibitors
    I have been told that Tamoxifen works differently than AI's. If you are now post-menopausal, AI's are usually prescribed. The side effects of all AI's are basically the same and how they affect an individual is also unique to the individual. I'm like the heartbreak kid - if there is a side effect, I'll have it. But, several of my good friends here on this site had very few, if any, side effects. So, it depends and no one can give you a definite answer. Talk to your oncologist about you and AI's. A lot will depend on the pathology of your tumor. Only your oncologist and you will know what's best for you. Hang in there and congratulations on the 5 years. Hurray for you!!!!! Hugs, Marilynn
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    mgm42 said:

I have been told that Tamoxifen works differently than AI's. If you are now post-menopausal, AI's are usually prescribed. The side effects of all AI's are basically the same and how they affect an individual is also unique to the individual. I'm like the heartbreak kid - if there is a side effect, I'll have it. But, several of my good friends here on this site had very few, if any, side effects. So, it depends and no one can give you a definite answer. Talk to your oncologist about you and AI's. A lot will depend on the pathology of your tumor. Only your oncologist and you will know what's best for you. Hang in there and congratulations on the 5 years. Hurray for you!!!!! Hugs, Marilynn

In "laymen's terms"...
    Tamoxifen is a "blocker" - puts a barrier of sorts between estrogen and cancer cells.

The AIs are "suppressors" - preventing the ovaries from producing estrogen.

So, yes - these two types of meds are prescribed based on many factors: diagnosis, menopausal status, etc.

Like you, Marilynn, I have always had a "sensitive" system - almost always (and since I was a kid!) metabolizing anything and everything to the nth degree. However, I had no side effects whatsoever while taking Tamoxifen (2 years). Now taking Arimidex (3+ years and still counting, I'm a "combo" patient) - and have every SE possible, except for the truly health-threatening possibilities. I put up with the annoying SEs because my own risk of recurrence without it is simply too high for comfort.

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: Like your new pic, very much! :-)
  • HillBillyNana
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Femara?
    so are Al's the same as Femara? I am post menopausal -64 - but i still have these awful hot flashes. My original oncologist left the cancer and I have a new one. I guess I need to talk more with her and make sure she knows all about my situation. I am a little afraid to not take the Femara. But I did ask if I could stop the Tamoxifen and take nothing for 6 months. She thought that was fine. So I am one week off Tamoxifen. I celebrate every time it is time for my 'pill' and I don't have to take it. (smile) I am new on this discussion board but I want to use it to gain information about the cancer and also about nutrition. Thanks for replying to my comments. I welcome all the help I can get.
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Hi Marilynn,
    I was just

Hi Marilynn,
    I was just going to ask the question about 5 years total, on one medication and that's it? Or do you start another 5 years on a different med. I was on femara for 31/2 years and was then switched to tamoxifen for the next year and a half. Has anyone on the board done the 5 years of one and then 5 years of another?

Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    djteach said:

Hi Marilynn,
    I was just

Hi Marilynn,
    I was just going to ask the question about 5 years total, on one medication and that's it? Or do you start another 5 years on a different med. I was on femara for 31/2 years and was then switched to tamoxifen for the next year and a half. Has anyone on the board done the 5 years of one and then 5 years of another?

Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna

Hi, Donna... Not there yet, but might be...
    Different than you, I started with Tamoxifen for 2 years. Then, got switched to Arimidex, 3+ years now and still counting. So, technically - I finished my "five years" back in March. However, I'm now part of a clinical trial for the extended period with Arimidex. I may, or may not, be on meds for a total of ten years. For now, we're taking it one additional year at a time.

I know that Tamoxifen is not prescribed for more than 5 years total. When ten years was tested, the results weren't good for years 6-10.

Kind regards, Susan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Hi, Donna... Not there yet, but might be...
    Different than you, I started with Tamoxifen for 2 years. Then, got switched to Arimidex, 3+ years now and still counting. So, technically - I finished my "five years" back in March. However, I'm now part of a clinical trial for the extended period with Arimidex. I may, or may not, be on meds for a total of ten years. For now, we're taking it one additional year at a time.

I know that Tamoxifen is not prescribed for more than 5 years total. When ten years was tested, the results weren't good for years 6-10.

Kind regards, Susan

What do you mean Susan that
    What do you mean Susan that the results weren't good for years 6 - 10 on tamoxifen? I am suppose to go on it after my radiation. I always wondered why only the 5 years. Thanks!
  • HillBillyNana
    Options

In "laymen's terms"...
    Tamoxifen is a "blocker" - puts a barrier of sorts between estrogen and cancer cells.

The AIs are "suppressors" - preventing the ovaries from producing estrogen.

So, yes - these two types of meds are prescribed based on many factors: diagnosis, menopausal status, etc.

Like you, Marilynn, I have always had a "sensitive" system - almost always (and since I was a kid!) metabolizing anything and everything to the nth degree. However, I had no side effects whatsoever while taking Tamoxifen (2 years). Now taking Arimidex (3+ years and still counting, I'm a "combo" patient) - and have every SE possible, except for the truly health-threatening possibilities. I put up with the annoying SEs because my own risk of recurrence without it is simply too high for comfort.

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: Like your new pic, very much! :-)

Tamoxifen and Femara
    I have been off the tamoxifen for over two weeks and I don't see any let up in the hot flashes. I had a hysterectomy when I was 32 (1977) They left my ovaries but surely they are not working anymore. So what estrogen production is the Femara blocking?
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    In three weeks...
    my onc and I will be having our little discussion about medication. I cannot take Tamoxifen, due to my blook clotting disorder; I tried Arimedex for 4 months and could barely move any of my extremities; switched to Aromain for a short while and it was worse than Arimdex; finally I was given Femara and that was when I joined this site under "drug reactions." I not only had extreme pain, but ALL the side effects. I was also experiencing mood swings and severe depression. I have been without drugs now for a little over a month and I am back to the way I was prior to drugs.

Pain is something that I live with everyday and, though the Femara made it significantly worse, it was a doable (with regular doses of Tylennol with Codeine). The side effects that were affecting my mental stability were the ones that finally made me stop all meds. Though I am enjoying my drug-free state, it doesn't mean that I am not scared of the consequences for making this decision.

As I said, my onc wants to talk with me in July.
    I'll let you know what he says.
    dmc
  • The1percen
    The1percen Member Posts: 135
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

In three weeks...
    my onc and I will be having our little discussion about medication. I cannot take Tamoxifen, due to my blook clotting disorder; I tried Arimedex for 4 months and could barely move any of my extremities; switched to Aromain for a short while and it was worse than Arimdex; finally I was given Femara and that was when I joined this site under "drug reactions." I not only had extreme pain, but ALL the side effects. I was also experiencing mood swings and severe depression. I have been without drugs now for a little over a month and I am back to the way I was prior to drugs.

Pain is something that I live with everyday and, though the Femara made it significantly worse, it was a doable (with regular doses of Tylennol with Codeine). The side effects that were affecting my mental stability were the ones that finally made me stop all meds. Though I am enjoying my drug-free state, it doesn't mean that I am not scared of the consequences for making this decision.

As I said, my onc wants to talk with me in July.
    I'll let you know what he says.
    dmc

OK... here I go again!
    This morning I posted I would "try to tone it down"! Part II BIO... When I was in my 20s (late 70s - early 80s)A couple buddies and me did something REALLY VERY STUPID... we were growning pot using birth control pills to prodduce more "bud"! I must have smoked a garbage bag full of that bud. Another MAJOR risk factor as per my "gut feeling" plus being obese which is a double whammy as it turns out... fat both produces estrogen and stores it. My question is, which probably nobody can answer, if it is positive it will most likely ER+ but it seems like all the women are talking about pre/post menopausal. What AM I?? How would they treat it? Still with hormone therapy and with my severe depression already, doesn't that preclude the use of "which ever one it was"? I KNOW... I am putting the cart before the horse, but that is what I feel. In that earlier post (my thread) I went on to describe my feelings about this. So what can you ladies tell me? I am trying to be "positive" it isn't what I want but I also feel I am due "punishment" for my earlier shenanigans...
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Mike
    aka MUD as is my name is mud!!!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

OK... here I go again!
    This morning I posted I would "try to tone it down"! Part II BIO... When I was in my 20s (late 70s - early 80s)A couple buddies and me did something REALLY VERY STUPID... we were growning pot using birth control pills to prodduce more "bud"! I must have smoked a garbage bag full of that bud. Another MAJOR risk factor as per my "gut feeling" plus being obese which is a double whammy as it turns out... fat both produces estrogen and stores it. My question is, which probably nobody can answer, if it is positive it will most likely ER+ but it seems like all the women are talking about pre/post menopausal. What AM I?? How would they treat it? Still with hormone therapy and with my severe depression already, doesn't that preclude the use of "which ever one it was"? I KNOW... I am putting the cart before the horse, but that is what I feel. In that earlier post (my thread) I went on to describe my feelings about this. So what can you ladies tell me? I am trying to be "positive" it isn't what I want but I also feel I am due "punishment" for my earlier shenanigans...
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Mike
    aka MUD as is my name is mud!!!

Why don't you go see a
    Why don't you relax until you do actually see a doctor. I found another site of men with bc. I just googled it. They might also be of more help to you. And you can't take certain antidepressants with hormone therapy. So, just relax and wait till you see this doctor on Friday. Take your questions and ask him.