No remission after all

Options
2»

Comments

• Karen1418
    Karen1418 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    No Remission
    Hi Jane, I also am saddened to hear you're not in remission. I'll be praying for you.
    Love and prayers, Karen
  • Karen1418
    Options
    Linn1 said:

No remission for me too
    I survived one year from Stage 4 Ovarian, now it spread to lymph nodes under arm. I'm waiting for CT Scan results. I guess I knew it would come back just wasn't ready. I'm still trying to heal from the massive surgery and chemo...Gemzar and Avastin are mentioned thruout comments. Did you get good results? Any other suggestions?

I am meeting with the docs Wed. I'm mentally trying to get myself back "in the ring" to fight. THe nice weather helps keep a positive attitude.

Finally, anyone else have problems with small veins and IV's? It took 5 hits before they could get the IV in yesterday. I had lots of problems with that before, my veins haven't come back yet. A nurse suggested Gatorade before lab draws and treatment - any thoughts???
    Good luck everyone.

No remission
    Hi Linn, I too recently found out my cancer is back, and I wasn't ready either. But we will fight on! As far as your veins, I had a port put in right after my surgery in July of 2007 and I love it. They use it for blood draws too, and it's so much easier. I don't think I've ever had 5 hits, but I've had more than one quite often. I'll say an extra prayer for you Wednesday. Love, Karen
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Karen1418 said:

No Remission
    Hi Jane, I also am saddened to hear you're not in remission. I'll be praying for you.
    Love and prayers, Karen

Karen
    Hi Karen,
    Thanks for your good wishes, I've had my port since after my surgery in May 2007 and it works fine for my infusions, and blood draws.

How are you doing, where did your relapse show up and what chemo are you on now?

Feel well, enjoy the lovely weather tomorrow,
    Jane
  • Karen1418
    Options
    No remission after all
    Hi Jane,
    They're not sure where the cancer is, although there is a lesion on my liver that may or may not be cancer. The plan was to have another CA125 and CT scan in July, meet with my gyn/onc then and decide if it was time to start chemo again. I believe I'll be on Carboplatin/Taxotere again. My family doctor ordered a chest X-ray and then a CT Scan of my chest this past week because of the recurring pains I get in my abdomen and shoulder. The CT scan showed fluid on my lungs, whatever that may mean. The family doctor forwarded results to my gyn/onc and will discuss them tomorrow or next day with him. Then I'll hear from one or the other. I don't have a clue as to whether or not this latest development will alter the plans to put chemo off for now. Just one more wait-and-see. Take care.
    Prayers, Karen
  • Linn1
    Linn1 Member Posts: 47
    Options

My veins are shot, too, Linn.
    Usually the techs try a couple of times to get an IV into me, then they call in the oncology nurse who takes a whack at it, then they call in the hospital's "IV team". This specialized team responds to calls from all over the hospital and specializes in getting IVs into tiny or compromised veins. (My veins have 'valve' problems and lots of scar tissue from chemo.) One of my DIL's friends was an RN that worked exclusively with tiny preemie babies with health complications at birth. When the emotional toll got to be too much for her, she took her skill at getting needles into tiny baby veins and joined thje hospital's IV Team. 5 sticks is too many; I think 3 tries is the max before they call in the IV Team where I go for treatment. ((((Linn)))) I'll have to try the Gatorade thing. I do make sure I'm well hydrated and they always wrap my arms with hot towels to try and plump up my veins before trying to stick me.

Weak veins and more...
    Thanks for the comments I did get more results and found out in addition to lymph nodes, it's in the abdomen again. My oncologist will map out the new plan Wed.
    I will try the Gatorade and see if it helps for the next series of blood work/treatment.

A port was used after my first surgery, but then I developed blood clots - I hope it will be an option again for me. The blood clots were probably due to the megase I took daily to help me eat. Maybe that info can help someone else??
    The port was much easier than the IV...I don't know why I didn't seek the smaller needle last week, I know better. The test areas for the CT scan are sooooo cold. I think my brain and body froze! I'm going to wear a rubberband on my wrist to remind me to ask for the smaller needle or IV team.

I was hoping to return to work - this puts a snag in my plans. Who knows - maybe the next round of treatment will be easier??!
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Karen1418 said:

No remission after all
    Hi Jane,
    They're not sure where the cancer is, although there is a lesion on my liver that may or may not be cancer. The plan was to have another CA125 and CT scan in July, meet with my gyn/onc then and decide if it was time to start chemo again. I believe I'll be on Carboplatin/Taxotere again. My family doctor ordered a chest X-ray and then a CT Scan of my chest this past week because of the recurring pains I get in my abdomen and shoulder. The CT scan showed fluid on my lungs, whatever that may mean. The family doctor forwarded results to my gyn/onc and will discuss them tomorrow or next day with him. Then I'll hear from one or the other. I don't have a clue as to whether or not this latest development will alter the plans to put chemo off for now. Just one more wait-and-see. Take care.
    Prayers, Karen

Karen
    Good morning Karen,
    You're really having a rough time and I can empathize with what you're going through.

We want the doctors to have the answers, and the right treatment to kill this monster invader off once and for all, and give us peace in our lives.

Please keep writing, it's so necessary to talk with others who know what we're going through, and the wait-and-see is so frustrating.

Best wishes for good health,

Jane
  • Karen1418
    Options
    jane65 said:

Karen
    Good morning Karen,
    You're really having a rough time and I can empathize with what you're going through.

We want the doctors to have the answers, and the right treatment to kill this monster invader off once and for all, and give us peace in our lives.

Please keep writing, it's so necessary to talk with others who know what we're going through, and the wait-and-see is so frustrating.

Best wishes for good health,

Jane

Thanks
    Hi Jane,
    Thanks for replying. I get a lot of comfort from reading and posting to this board.
    I'm confused about one thing. You mentioned just joining the board recently, but your profile sounds like you've been around longer. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious. I did not hear from either doctor today, Hopefully tomorrow.
    Love, Karen
  • Linn1
    Options
    Karen1418 said:

No remission after all
    Hi Jane,
    Prayers, Karen

No remission and more
    Hi Karen-
    I'm sorry to hear your story, but I do feel some comfort knowing we are facing this together.
    I will meet with my oncologist tomorrow and hopefully get a "game plan". Knowing that it's in a lymph node and somewhere in my abdomen is disturbing, but hopefully some clarity tomorrow. I'll share whatever info. I get - maybe we can benefit each other with our shared knowledge.
    Hang in there...
    Lynn
  • Karen1418
    Options
    Linn1 said:

No remission and more
    Hi Karen-
    I'm sorry to hear your story, but I do feel some comfort knowing we are facing this together.
    I will meet with my oncologist tomorrow and hopefully get a "game plan". Knowing that it's in a lymph node and somewhere in my abdomen is disturbing, but hopefully some clarity tomorrow. I'll share whatever info. I get - maybe we can benefit each other with our shared knowledge.
    Hang in there...
    Lynn

Lynn
    Hi Lynn,

Yes, coming here is comforting. I hope your meeting with you onc goes well. My gyn/onc told me if the cancer was back in my liver, that wasn't any worse than anywhere else, and it doesn't matter how large the tumor is. I wish I had asked for clarification, but I think what he meant was that it's still ovarian cancer and will respond the same to treatment no matter where it is. Maybe that is something you could ask your onc about. Let us know what game plan you come up with. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Love, Karen
  • Linn1
    Options
    Karen1418 said:

Lynn
    Hi Lynn,

Yes, coming here is comforting. I hope your meeting with you onc goes well. My gyn/onc told me if the cancer was back in my liver, that wasn't any worse than anywhere else, and it doesn't matter how large the tumor is. I wish I had asked for clarification, but I think what he meant was that it's still ovarian cancer and will respond the same to treatment no matter where it is. Maybe that is something you could ask your onc about. Let us know what game plan you come up with. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Love, Karen

No remission continues/Clinical trials
    Hi Karen and all...
    It is confirmed to be in my lumph node and near large intestine. The lymph node tissue is being tested to define if it's breast or ovarian - either way will still be chemo and maybe surgery. It's just like a member posted - whether it's liver or anywhere in abdomen, it gets treated the same. My oncologist said I may be eligible for a clinical trial at NCI in Washington. It's a phase II for PARP inhibitors. Still waiting to hear more info. Anyone else involved with that trial or any trial? I'm just beginning to read more about the clinical trials. It would mean traveling from Chgo to Wash. D.C. for treatments. That in itself seems daunting while going thru treatment!
    As always, open to suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Lynn
  • Karen1418
    Options
    Linn1 said:

No remission continues/Clinical trials
    Hi Karen and all...
    It is confirmed to be in my lumph node and near large intestine. The lymph node tissue is being tested to define if it's breast or ovarian - either way will still be chemo and maybe surgery. It's just like a member posted - whether it's liver or anywhere in abdomen, it gets treated the same. My oncologist said I may be eligible for a clinical trial at NCI in Washington. It's a phase II for PARP inhibitors. Still waiting to hear more info. Anyone else involved with that trial or any trial? I'm just beginning to read more about the clinical trials. It would mean traveling from Chgo to Wash. D.C. for treatments. That in itself seems daunting while going thru treatment!
    As always, open to suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Lynn

Linn
    Hi Lynn,
    I'm sorry you will be going through treatment again. Hang in there and fight, fight, fight! I think it's easier to cope when you know what you're facing. My gyn/onc did not mention any trials, but I've been reading about them recently too and may ask for more info. Would you have to stay in D.C. for an extended time? Have you had both ovarian and breast cancer? May God keep you in his care. Love, Karen