Starting oxaliplatin and 5FU

2»

Comments

• ninetoes
    ninetoes Member Posts: 81
    lmliess said:

Starting Folfox 6 in the morning!
    I am freaked out about this mainteneance round of chemo but I see I will be in good company. I had my colostomy surgery March 10 for the rectal tumor and my liver resection April 9 for the liver resection. So Tuesday morning I will go for my first of 8 rounds of Folfox 6 with Avastin. The side effects are scaring me but at this point I need to put my head down and go forward. I have to remeber this if the final stage to NED to get any remaining nasty cancer cells out.

Wish me luck!!

Linda

Good Luck!!!!!!!
    Dave

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Dave
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Wednesday, I start back
    I will be back on the same cocktail starting Wednesday and disconnecting on Fridays.

This is how the first six treatments went for me: I always tried to stay ahead of the nausea by just taking the nausea pills as soon as I got home on Wednesdays and continuing them throuh Friday am. I did not experience nausea keeping this up. I had senstivity to cold right away, cold sores in my mouth on the second treatment. The oncologist prescribed me some miracle mouthwash and it helped. By the 4th treatment, I was feeling a bit more tired and food tasted like nothing, no taste buds at all.. and by the fifth week my hands were turning purple, and I was having a hard time driving my self home on Fridays. By the sixth treatment, I was usually tired through the weekend, but was ready to go to work on the following Monday. My hair started thining around the sixth week.

I don't look forward to the chemo, but I know it's doable!!! This is a great site to get your questions ansswered, it helped me immensely and took some of the anxiety away.

Everyone's side affects are different, I wish you the best and wish for you NO or at least only mild side affects!!!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Nana b said:

Wednesday, I start back
    I will be back on the same cocktail starting Wednesday and disconnecting on Fridays.

This is how the first six treatments went for me: I always tried to stay ahead of the nausea by just taking the nausea pills as soon as I got home on Wednesdays and continuing them throuh Friday am. I did not experience nausea keeping this up. I had senstivity to cold right away, cold sores in my mouth on the second treatment. The oncologist prescribed me some miracle mouthwash and it helped. By the 4th treatment, I was feeling a bit more tired and food tasted like nothing, no taste buds at all.. and by the fifth week my hands were turning purple, and I was having a hard time driving my self home on Fridays. By the sixth treatment, I was usually tired through the weekend, but was ready to go to work on the following Monday. My hair started thining around the sixth week.

I don't look forward to the chemo, but I know it's doable!!! This is a great site to get your questions ansswered, it helped me immensely and took some of the anxiety away.

Everyone's side affects are different, I wish you the best and wish for you NO or at least only mild side affects!!!

Imliess
    Don't be scared of nothing....after the 2 surgeries that you have undergone the post chemo is a cake walk....Keep that chin up and know that you are winning your battle and don't get down on yourself if ya get a little sick or a lot sick....That just tells ya that its killing anything that might be lingering around...and then when its over (and it will be before ya know it) you can stand tall knowing you kicked its booty !!!

and Ninetoes......you are keeping good company here...you too will be fine my friend...
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    lmliess said:

Starting Folfox 6 in the morning!
    I am freaked out about this mainteneance round of chemo but I see I will be in good company. I had my colostomy surgery March 10 for the rectal tumor and my liver resection April 9 for the liver resection. So Tuesday morning I will go for my first of 8 rounds of Folfox 6 with Avastin. The side effects are scaring me but at this point I need to put my head down and go forward. I have to remeber this if the final stage to NED to get any remaining nasty cancer cells out.

Wish me luck!!

Linda

Another on the Chemo Party
    Welcome aboard Linda. I will be joining you with several others. Good luck to us all. I have three days in a row.

Hugs! Kim
  • Northvangirl
    Northvangirl Member Posts: 3
    VickiCO said:

Welcome
    Welcome to the best board on the net! I am sorry we had to meet this way. I am on chemo now but only have 5FU, not oxaliplatin. Side effects vary by each person. Some have neuropthy in the hands and feet, vomiting, nausea, hair thinning or loss. BUT others have much milder reactions. The key is to let your medical staff know if you have ANY symptoms so they can combat them ASAP. There are anti-nausea drugs to help, and other things they can do.

Might I suggest that you NOT do research on the net. Most of the material you will find is at least 5 years old, and treatments for colon cancer have advanced tremendously in the past 5 years. And don't pay attention to "statistics" - we are not statistics, we are individuals. I was DX'd as Stage 3 and if I read the stats at that time, I would have assumed it was hopeless. I am now one chemo treatment away from NED (No Evidence of Disease) in only 8 months.

Come here often for support and questions. It's a great group.

Many Hugs, Vicki

My reply to yours
    I liked your reply. Definitely good ideas. Some of the info DOES put you on a "downer" so I try to believe that I won't be one of the bad statistics.

I have Anal Cancer, Stage I -

I just tell everyone that I feel blessed that I feel so good. (In fact, I feel guilty when I know what others have experienced fighting different cancers!!!!)

On 4/21st I started my 1st Session - I had Mitomycin C given to me at the same time with an Anti-Nausea drug (Dexamethasone aka Decadron) thru my "picc" line (I forget the actual name) that was installed the day before my treatment started. That way, they were able to use an "Infusor" attachment (Like a mini baby bottle with tubing attached) and attached my "bottle" with 5FU & I get to walk around for 2 days while the drug drains into my system. I go back after 48 hours at which time the bottle should be empty, and they'll attack a 2nd bottle. After the 48 hrs. are over, the bottle is removed & the picc line gets hidden by some bandages. And, that is it!!

I ended up with a "smidge" of nausea & a "smidge" of a headache -- that I never would've given much thought to, had I NOT been on Chemo. (And I figure I get as many as 5 different kinds of headaches -- so this headache wasn't even on the scale!!)

BUT, I ended up getting THRUSH in my mouth, tongue and throat. BELIEVE ME - you don't want to get that. If you do -- get it treated right away. I was given heavy duty antibiotics (why is it when you have a sore throat you get huge horse pills to take??!!) AND, I was given a heavy duty mouth rinse & swallow that numbed the tissues. My tongue was so swollen, I could barely talk or swallow. I DO NOT want to go through THAT again.

That seemed to be the only side effects I had -- until I got carsick last week when I was a front seat passenger in my boyfriend's car. I've --NEVER-- been carsick before. So - I know that, for the time being, I will be driving everywhere!!!!!

My Radiation is much the same story. BUT -- I've 'suffered' from what I call a Yeast Infection times a Million!!! NO ONE wants to go thru this. BUT -- if it kills the Cancer, I'll do it!!!!!!!

Today I started Part 2 of my Treatment. I'd been given an extra week off between Radiation because I am blondish, so have sensitive skin. I am SO GLAD I got that extra week. I certainly felt more mentally & physically ready to start the Treatment again.

I just wonder, after all these years, why there isn't some sort of fabric that could be put on your skin so the rays would go thru it -- but not burn the skin!!!!

All my warm wishes to all,
    Arlene
  • Northvangirl
    Northvangirl Member Posts: 3
    ninetoes said:

It's under the skin, but the
    It's under the skin, but the tube going to my neck sticks out and the site of the port is tender. When I turn my head or lift my head up it bothers me. I talk to the doc and she says it's normal. I don't know what normal is anymore.

Dave

Irritating Tube
    Hi, Dave

I live in Canada - so I don't know if that's why our Tubing is inserted differently.

But, when we're given an "Infusor" -- they give you a "picc" line in your upper ARM that
    is covered by a 3" x3" (?) bandage. When the Infusor is attached to the "picc" line the hard plastic is covered with a gauze pad to stop it "sticking out" so obviously!! It is then covered with a stretch "netting" to keep everything together & looking neat.

It was suggested to me to cover the bandage with an elastic bandage -- but, I'm a gardener and I know that everytime someone walked by, they'd want to know how I'd hurt myself!!!
    Some peope who are handy & knit or crochet make a small armband to cover the bandage.
    I've just used a long, thin scarf & wound it around a few times, then knotted it. People see it - they wonder about it ------ but they rarely ask me why I am wearing such an obvious item on my arm!!!!!

Mind you -- if anyone ASKS -- I tell them EXACTLY what type of Cancer I'm fighting, the symptoms I have, etc. Then I tell everyone how fortunate I am that I haven't been physically sick, other than the sudden lack of energy. I've just learned that when my feet start dragging or when my legs feel like spaghetti, then I have to go restore my energy. I lie on my bed & sometimes snooze - sometimes watch tv while I play on my computer!!!

I hope your Dr. is able to check into whether you could have your line inserted into your arm. (try the Vancouver Cancer Clinic - it's an exceptional facility). In B.C., "picc" lines are RARELY inserted in the chest -- unless it is the ONLY option left. (In other words, the blood vessels can no longer take a needle or chemo, etc)

I have a box beside my pillow that I keep all my medications in, so that if I wake up needing something, I don't have to get out of bed to get it (saves energy --and-- you don't wake up too much!!)

Good luck with your "fight" Dave. We're all "with" you, even if you can't see us!

North Van Girl
    Arlene
  • ninetoes
    Buzzard said:

Imliess
    Don't be scared of nothing....after the 2 surgeries that you have undergone the post chemo is a cake walk....Keep that chin up and know that you are winning your battle and don't get down on yourself if ya get a little sick or a lot sick....That just tells ya that its killing anything that might be lingering around...and then when its over (and it will be before ya know it) you can stand tall knowing you kicked its booty !!!

and Ninetoes......you are keeping good company here...you too will be fine my friend...

Thanks Buzzard, it helps to
    Thanks Buzzard, it helps to know there are people out there going through the same thing. Good luck to everyone!

Dave
  • ninetoes

Irritating Tube
    Hi, Dave

I live in Canada - so I don't know if that's why our Tubing is inserted differently.

But, when we're given an "Infusor" -- they give you a "picc" line in your upper ARM that
    is covered by a 3" x3" (?) bandage. When the Infusor is attached to the "picc" line the hard plastic is covered with a gauze pad to stop it "sticking out" so obviously!! It is then covered with a stretch "netting" to keep everything together & looking neat.

It was suggested to me to cover the bandage with an elastic bandage -- but, I'm a gardener and I know that everytime someone walked by, they'd want to know how I'd hurt myself!!!
    Some peope who are handy & knit or crochet make a small armband to cover the bandage.
    I've just used a long, thin scarf & wound it around a few times, then knotted it. People see it - they wonder about it ------ but they rarely ask me why I am wearing such an obvious item on my arm!!!!!

Mind you -- if anyone ASKS -- I tell them EXACTLY what type of Cancer I'm fighting, the symptoms I have, etc. Then I tell everyone how fortunate I am that I haven't been physically sick, other than the sudden lack of energy. I've just learned that when my feet start dragging or when my legs feel like spaghetti, then I have to go restore my energy. I lie on my bed & sometimes snooze - sometimes watch tv while I play on my computer!!!

I hope your Dr. is able to check into whether you could have your line inserted into your arm. (try the Vancouver Cancer Clinic - it's an exceptional facility). In B.C., "picc" lines are RARELY inserted in the chest -- unless it is the ONLY option left. (In other words, the blood vessels can no longer take a needle or chemo, etc)

I have a box beside my pillow that I keep all my medications in, so that if I wake up needing something, I don't have to get out of bed to get it (saves energy --and-- you don't wake up too much!!)

Good luck with your "fight" Dave. We're all "with" you, even if you can't see us!

North Van Girl
    Arlene

Irritating Tube
    Thanks Arlene. I guess the line I have is used a lot. I think it's just going to take some getting used to. The doc says the line will be in for at least a year, so maybe that's wht she chose the chest line.

Good luck to you, and thanks for being here.

Dave
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    chemo
    I had this course of treatment. I had 5 1/2 wks of 5FU with radiation. I had a mediport and had chemo 24/7. Then 6 months of chemo, this time it was oxiplatin. This was twice a month with the pump on 2 days. My side effects were very mild. I was able to be very active all during the treatment. Oxi make you extremely sensitive to the cold. It would weart off after about 5 days, then it was eat ice cream, and have ice in a soda. I had stage 3 colon cancer, with 1 lymph node testing positive. My last chemo was Oct 31,07. Scans have been clear so far. 12 cycles will go by fast. Good luck, be sure to pamper yourself during this time. We're all here to encourage you.
  • brandy0112
    brandy0112 Member Posts: 5
    oxiplatin
    Hi i am new to the board. i have been on chemo since march and use the oxiplatin and 5 fu. My side effects were pretty bad in the beginning but my doctor added emend and dexamethasone and the nausea went away. I have til august to complete my therapy unless my platlets drop below 100 then they give you an extra week in between treatments. i go every two weeks for a 2 hour treatment then go home with a bottle for 46 hours then have a nurse come in and unhook me. It took me a long time to get used to my port and the bottle. the fatique was the hardest to adjust to for me. But they told me to try to keep as active as possible and I wont mind it as much. I wish you luck with your treatment and hope your adjustment time is short.