Masectomy....happy with results?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

cancer returned - now having to make some decisions...HELP!!?
    Well...here we go again...it's been 10 years since my first diagnosis ( lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen) and last week received results from needle biopsy and confirmed it has returned. Soooo met with surgeon last thurs - doing mastectomy - have an appoint with plastic surgeon tomorrow. Have been reading tons about reconstruction options so any info is appreciated. DIEP, implants, tissue expanders...

Have an MRI scheduled for Wed. for other breast- but will be getting results tomorrow re BRCA, so that will determine whether need MRI and whether to do both breasts. Not even sure what I am asking...but just want to connect with others going through similar thing.

Thanks in advance - karen :)

HI Karen, So sorry for your
    HI Karen, So sorry for your new DX. I am pretty new to this myself just had surgery a week ago wednesday. My God after 10 years, I would have thought you would be in a safe zone. Shows you what I know. Again sorry, My prayers are with you.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

Well...here we go again...it's been 10 years since my first diagnosis ( lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen) and last week received results from needle biopsy and confirmed it has returned. Soooo met with surgeon last thurs - doing mastectomy - have an appoint with plastic surgeon tomorrow. Have been reading tons about reconstruction options so any info is appreciated. DIEP, implants, tissue expanders...

Have an MRI scheduled for Wed. for other breast- but will be getting results tomorrow re BRCA, so that will determine whether need MRI and whether to do both breasts. Not even sure what I am asking...but just want to connect with others going through similar thing.

Karen, I am so sorry that
    Karen, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this again. Personally I am new to this journey, scared out of my whits.. just had a lumpectomy w/sentenal node biopsy (they took 7, so I consider myself lucky) and I'm still waiting for results to determine my treatment plan.

You have come to a wonderful place. There are many women here who are going through, or have been through, what you are now going through. I know they will be able to help you so much more than I can. However, though I'm sorry for the reason that your here, I am so glad you found us.

Other sisters are on their way.. hold on... My prayers and best wishes are with you.

~T
  • dancR22
    dancR22 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Kat11 said:

HI Karen, So sorry for your
    HI Karen, So sorry for your new DX. I am pretty new to this myself just had surgery a week ago wednesday. My God after 10 years, I would have thought you would be in a safe zone. Shows you what I know. Again sorry, My prayers are with you.

So sorry you are going through this...
    Thought I was in that safe zone too...but when I went in for my annual mammogram and you know how they leave the room and come back to take 'more' pictures and then again and then tell you the doctor wants to talk with you...those red flags were waving big time!! But I still thought...calcifications, that's all...
    Then after the needle biopsy (ouch!) I just had a feeling that I would be going down this path again.
    Just so you know, my first experience with cancer brought with it such positive energy - wonderful doctors all the way along and can't say enough about family and friends. My prayers are with you as well.
  • confused123
    confused123 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    taleena said:

Karen, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this again. Personally I am new to this journey, scared out of my whits.. just had a lumpectomy w/sentenal node biopsy (they took 7, so I consider myself lucky) and I'm still waiting for results to determine my treatment plan.

You have come to a wonderful place. There are many women here who are going through, or have been through, what you are now going through. I know they will be able to help you so much more than I can. However, though I'm sorry for the reason that your here, I am so glad you found us.

Other sisters are on their way.. hold on... My prayers and best wishes are with you.

~T

I had dble mast in Jan. Had
    I had dble mast in Jan. Had to have the right done but chose to do both. I had the expanders put in and they are okay but hard. No big scars. There is a thin one a couple inches long where the nipples used to be but it is fading. I have heard of people getting regular implants same day but I heard they have to be small if you do that(not sure how true it is). Anyway when the saline is injected to the expanders you can't feel it becuase unfortunatley the skin is numb. I need radiation so the expanders will be in for a while - 4 months after radiation so I will end up with them for 11 months. WIthout rads it is 2-4 months after they are fully inflated.
    Good Luck tommorrow
    Kim
  • dancR22
    dancR22 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    taleena said:

~T

T - thanks for responding
    I am so sorry you are going through this. It's all scary stuff, but trust me when I say that if you can focus on all of the positive energy that will come your way and the tremendous community of women that are there for you, you will be able to handle everything they throw at you!!

k
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    dancR22 said:

After ten years, I am so sorry it came back :(
    I am so sorry Karen. It seems that lately, several women are going thru a recurrence, even though they had the rads and tamoxifen. I can't imagine what you are feeling. Just know that I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you good luck. Please keep us updated on how you are doing! Hugs, Leeza